View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
It's not difficult to see that they came out with the 'let them play' mentality. Problem is, when you then have a few touch or phantom fouls, it just plain looks bad. I'd rather have the officials set the tone for the game rather than the players.

This game has not benefitted from the 'let them play' philosophy. It has only made them look bad and has drawn more frustration from the players than need be.
Well, I don't remember the touch/phantom calls you're talking about other than the Burke block where it seems the L just reacted and thought he saw something that wasnt there.

And as far as setting a tone and who should do it, that's an argument that can go both ways. What I say in my pre-games is that it should not take us long as a crew to figure out what the game needs and what kind of whistles we need to put in it.

This game had two athletic and aggressive teams. There were many plays that could have had whistles but I think the crew did a good job of passing on marginal contact and was consistent on both ends. IMO, the game did not need more whistles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
This is what will stick with me from this game....

The best play of the game (Burke's block) got penalized.

One of the worst plays of the game (Hancock jumping sideways into a defender when shooting from the corner) got rewarded.
What sticks with me is that it was a fast paced, competitive natl championship game where both teams played hard and did not make for the easiest game to officiate but the crew overall did a nice job.

If you want to focus on two plays that's fine but you could do that in almost any basketball game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Yeah, that was the only single play I was disappointed in. I think they could have put a few more whistles on defenders putting theirs hands on dribblers but I felt they allowed the same amount of contact on both ends in the paint and the players adjusted to it.
The Burke block and the kick ball where it looks like the C got straight-lined were the only real plays that stuck out to me.

There was definitely some contact that could have been called but I felt they were consistent on both ends and players adjusted well. As zebraman said earlier and I stated above, it was two athletic, aggressive teams and not an easy contest to officiate but I think they did a nice job.