Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I agree.

There have been some misses for sure but I'm more inclined to agree with the above than to characterize this as unfortunate.

Both teams are giving as good as they're getting.
It's not difficult to see that they came out with the 'let them play' mentality. Problem is, when you then have a few touch or phantom fouls, it just plain looks bad. I'd rather have the officials set the tone for the game rather than the players.

This game has not benefitted from the 'let them play' philosophy. It has only made them look bad and has drawn more frustration from the players than need be.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

The delay of game warning the first half......the Louisville guy was over the OOB line, just dancing all over it before the ref stepped in with a warning. The announcers were miffed, I call and see a warning in most high school games. Isn't it that referee's job to keep a count and watch for this? Are you seen as "that" guy for calling it I D1?
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
This is what will stick with me from this game....

The best play of the game (Burke's block) got penalized.

One of the worst plays of the game (Hancock jumping sideways into a defender when shooting from the corner) got rewarded.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 11:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
The delay of game warning the first half......the Louisville guy was over the OOB line, just dancing all over it before the ref stepped in with a warning. The announcers were miffed, I call and see a warning in most high school games. Isn't it that referee's job to keep a count and watch for this? Are you seen as "that" guy for calling it I D1?
If you're calling it every game, you may want to consider adjusting. That doesn't mean you should, but I would consider it unless you're working the highest level to which you're striving.

It's possible you're being too nit picky on when a player is getting close. Of course, it's possible the kids in your area just aren't catching on. I would watch some games at higher levels, and talk to some higher level local officials, and see how they call it.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
I was watching the game when it happened. The announcers weren't miffed, just confused until it was reported. It was pretty blatant so it needed to be called. If you are calling it in most high school games, maybe you need to start working on preventative officiating. You can usually tell when a kid is going to aggressively harass the inbounder..... they get all excited before you even hand the ball to the thrower. Take a few seconds to remind the jacked-up kid what will happen if he violates the invisible plane prior to the throw-in. Then you won't see it so much.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 11:58pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
Totally a good block. L is straightlined on the play, so what is he seeing?
The problem is, the L hustled too fast to the end line and got a bad look. Slow, fat guys like me would have stayed a little behind the play and had a better angle.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
The problem is, the L hustled too fast to the end line and got a bad look. Slow, fat guys like me would have stayed a little behind the play and had a better angle.
agreed 100% maybe not about the fat guy part. straight line city. no whistle with that look.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

One of the worst plays of the game (Hancock jumping sideways into a defender when shooting from the corner) got rewarded.
Really? I thought all of those were good fouls. Defenders were making poor plays and they got burned.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 07:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
And this defender had jumped straight up and down?
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 07:12am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
The problem is Greene made a call I'm sure he's told a hundred campers over the years not to make.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Good whistle on the Burke block. Going to goal, offensive player in the air, contact and offensive player hits the floor. Watch the off hand on Siva's hip. Entirely too much contact. Why would an official hold whistle just because of a high stakes game? A foul is a foul.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
Good whistle on the Burke block. Going to goal, offensive player in the air, contact and offensive player hits the floor. Watch the off hand on Siva's hip. Entirely too much contact. Why would an official hold whistle just because of a high stakes game? A foul is a foul.
That was not a foul. The UL player went to the floor because he got his dunk attempt blocked, not because of some off hand contact.

Last edited by Adam; Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 09:12am. Reason: cleaned it up
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post

An official would hold his whistle because that's not a foul at any level of play.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 09:21am
Do not give a damn!!

That is a great block. I would not have called a foul if I see the entire play. But if that was the only missed call, then they did pretty good. I felt the game overall was well officiated. There are always calls that we can disagree with with slow motion replay.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 09:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is a great block. I would not have called a foul if I see the entire play. But if that was the only missed call, then they did pretty good. I felt the game overall was well officiated. There are always calls that we can disagree with with slow motion replay.

Peace
Yeah, that was the only single play I was disappointed in. I think they could have put a few more whistles on defenders putting theirs hands on dribblers but I felt they allowed the same amount of contact on both ends in the paint and the players adjusted to it.