View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
Good whistle on the Burke block. Going to goal, offensive player in the air, contact and offensive player hits the floor. Watch the off hand on Siva's hip. Entirely too much contact. Why would an official hold whistle just because of a high stakes game? A foul is a foul.
A foul is a foul but that wasn't. The L was blocked out in terms of any potential body contact and the block itself was clean.

I'll bet anything the L wanted that one back the second he blew his whistle. I'll also go all in that he took at peek at the C's face to get some kind of confirmation. I know we can't see his - the C's - face but a blank stare says a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
Anyone else worried about how the national media is portraying this game. Saying every game should be officiated like this, Jay whatshisface said, "The officials got out of the way and let the players decide it" I thought officials are there to enforce the rule book to create level play.

Personally I thought the game was very rough. I thought there was contact severe enough to create a disadvantage. On a couple loose balls, there were guys just punching at the ball and striking the opposing players arm. Isn't this a foul?

I don't want to see the trend going this way. It will filter down to all levels. Am I way off base here?
We're there to enforce the rule book but try to use this as a guideline, no matter the level: Did the crew call the fouls that needed to be called? If the answer is "yes" then things will generally be okay. There were things missed but that's going to be the case every game. D1 kids are very fast and very strong. We're not

Going back to my last BV game a few weeks ago I still go over some of the calls I thought I should have made but the assignor/observer said exactly what I just wrote: "You guys made the calls that needed to be made." Neither team had the advantage tilted in their favor by what we did or didn't do.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)