The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 11:29am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
I don't want to see the trend going this way. It will filter down to all levels. Am I way off base here?
This was the BiG 10 vs. the Big East, probably the 2 most physical conferences in all of basketball (including the NBA). It's "Big Boy" basketball. Wait til you go to a camp full of D1 prospects and with D1 officials observing you. A lot of whistles is not what they will be looking for.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
This was the BiG 10 vs. the Big East, probably the 2 most physical conferences in all of basketball (including the NBA). It's "Big Boy" basketball. Wait til you go to a camp full of D1 prospects and with D1 officials observing you. A lot of whistles is not what they will be looking for.
In those situations you get graded more on what you DON'T call.

Also, I hate when people say that officials 'let them play". It implies that the prior 30+ games were called incorrectly. It's my pet peeve but I hate when officials change the way they call the game because of the stage it is one. The teams got where they are playing a certain style that was in part dictated by the officials all year. Officials should either 'let them play' all year or call the game they've called all year. Thank you for your time. We now continue with our regularly scheduled program 'Gottleib and Burke: In the Paint'
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 11:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
And you, of course, being the big-time D-I official that you are, get to tell those lowly high school officials that their opinions and questions don't count.
You do not have to work D1 to know that players at the college level (Men's basketball especially) are a little rougher and more physical than high school basketball in general. Bigger and quicker people. That does not mean that because it is rougher than what some might see, does not equate more fouls must be called. Players right or wrong are not as disadvantaged. Sorry, but people try to equate high school thinking to college basketball. It does not apply all the time.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
37 fouls in the game..... 4-5 of those fouls by Michigan at the end to get up to 7, to put L'ville in bonus, etc.??? So 'actual' fouls committed was in the low 30's... From my end of the world, that's not a lot of fouls for a game.
So they are just under a foul a minute and you think that is not a lot of foul?

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:10pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You do not have to work D1 to know that players at the college level (Men's basketball especially) are a little rougher and more physical than high school basketball in general. Bigger and quicker people. That does not mean that because it is rougher than what some might see, does not equate more fouls must be called. Players right or wrong are not as disadvantaged. Sorry, but people try to equate high school thinking to college basketball. It does not apply all the time.

Peace
Of course it doesn't apply. But when someone posts their opinion or asks a question and the response they get is basically a slap in the face of "well, you are just a high school ref", then that is BS.

What was that word I used before?

Oh yeah...a$$ hat.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Of course it doesn't apply. But when someone posts their opinion or asks a question and the response they get is basically a slap in the face of "well, you are just a high school ref", then that is BS.

What was that word I used before?

Oh yeah...a$$ hat.
OK, but I also hear, "Well those were obvious because I see them on a computer screen" attitude that gets on my nerves. I watch a lot of high school games just as an evaluator and I see a lot of these same plays missed by high school officials in their games all the time. I have said before, I call more travels than most of my partners at the high school level, because most officials I come in contact with often will not call a basic travel in the post or on the perimeter. I do when it is obvious, but I do not think that makes me so much more talented because I see them when I do.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
That was a great game. The officiating was just right for this game.

My only issues:
1) Early GT that did not get called
2) Kicked ball that did not get called
3) Incorrect call by L on clean block by Michigan's Burke
4) Incorrect call on 3pt attempt in corner

Glad that there were no weak held/jump ball calls like there was on Saturday
Added #4 and I'm right there with you.

That was a wildly entertaining game. Only a couple of late made 3FGA by Michigan would have made it even better.

The athleticsm, speed and quickness were off the charts.

I have to admit, "the officials might be losing a little bit of control of this game" briefly occurred to me 5 or 6 mins into the game. But, the players handled themselves beautifully, as did the coaches.

Entertaining game. Loved it.

(I'm not a L'ville fan by any stretch, either.)
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
That would be good if your #4 was actually correct.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That would be good if your #4 was actually correct.

I'd love to see video of it posted here. Replay showed the play was absent of any contact by the defender.

edit: just watched it in a separate thread. camera angles do not reveal any contact.

Last edited by #olderthanilook; Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 12:43pm.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

I just want to know why Big-12 officials ball watch from the C during uneventful transtions? Multiple times Higgins would have his eyes on the ball handler slowing dribbling up the court while 8 other players are ahead of him.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I just want to know why Big-12 officials ball watch from the C during uneventful transtions? Multiple times Higgins would have his eyes on the ball handler slowing dribbling up the court while 8 other players are ahead of him.
Higgins also works in the Big Ten along with about 3 or 4 leagues
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post

That was a wildly entertaining game. Only a couple of late made 3FGA by Michigan would have made it even better.

The athleticsm, speed and quickness were off the charts.

I have to admit, "the officials might be losing a little bit of control of this game" briefly occurred to me 5 or 6 mins into the game. But, the players handled themselves beautifully, as did the coaches.

Entertaining game. Loved it.

(I'm not a L'ville fan by any stretch, either.)
I agree with you and icallfouls both.....I thought it was a very entertaining game to watch and I thought the officiating was just right for this type of game. Yes it was physical, but as another poster said it was "big boy" basketball last night. Both of these teams were use to that style of officiating from the regular season.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 02:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by michblue View Post
Higgins also works in the Big Ten along with about 3 or 4 leagues
That has nothing to do with my statement. My statement refers to officials who work in the Big 12.
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Bad, that is a pretty broad based brush to paint with. I have not noticed that of Big 12 officials specifically, I do see it generally cross all leagues, predominately by older officials versus younger officials
Old Tue Apr 09, 2013, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
So they are just under a foul a minute and you think that is not a lot of foul?

Peace
I don't know, you're the expert, you tell me. I'm guessing though that Higgins, Greene, and Cahill all must of called a ton of fouls this year as they averaged 33.9, 35.2, and 32.8 FPG respectively this season.