The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 29, 2011, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Without question, I would have went to him and asked him if his whistle was for touching the ball (goaltending) or slapping the backboard. If ball goes in no problem, the defensive team gets ball and canrun the line. If ball doesn't go in you have an inadverdant whistle and the result is an AP. If that is the situation then get both coaches together and let them know the deal.

As a result of the play, you had a blown rule and a technical becuase the CREW blew the rule........

If the guy got his feelings hurt, too bad !!!!!!
Old Thu Dec 29, 2011, 11:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Do you approach your partner to check on his backcourt violations, too?
Old Thu Dec 29, 2011, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Do you approach your partner to check on his backcourt violations, too?
You're killing two clichés with one stone here: making a mountain out of a molehill and beating a dead horse, all at the same time.

I think most of us would all agree we don't go questioning our partners' judgment calls on a regular basis. But comparing this situation to a run-of-the-mill backcourt or travel call is comparing apples to oranges as long as we're pulling out all the stops on the cliché wagon.

In this type of unusual situation, I don't think it hurts anyone to take a moment and make sure everyone is on the same page. Now, do I want you coming in and making a spectacle and overturning my call? No, but if you want to come over to me and ask me what I had, I'm not going to get all bent out of shape as long as it doesn't keep happening during the game.

It's not that big of a deal. Just get it right.
Old Thu Dec 29, 2011, 11:41pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Now, do I want you coming in and making a spectacle and overturning my call? No, but if you want to come over to me and ask me what I had, I'm not going to get all bent out of shape as long as it doesn't keep happening during the game.

It's not that big of a deal. Just get it right.
Agreed.

Last night, I had a blocking foul in the midcourt. The defender came flying at me so much, I considered for an instant whether he was flopping. I saw no LGP, so I went with the block.

The partisan parents disagreed strongly, and the coach asked me if I had seen the elbow. From my angle (straightlined, as it turned out), I saw no elbow, and that's what I told him.

After the game, my young partner told me he was about to call a PC foul, but I was so confident with my block call, that he backed down. I really wish he had come and talked with me, for reasons Fiasco mentioned -- just the sake of getting it right. I would never feel ill will to any partner who came and talked to me.

The only time I've ever felt such ill will was an elderly partner who overruled my backcourt call several years ago without talking with me. (I was too green and stunned to say anything at that time.) If you think your partner is wrong, go forth and communicate, but let him decide whether to make the change. I don't see how any bad feelings could result from that.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 12:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

BS, I was responding to a new post.

Who said run of the mill? The only way I approach my partner on this is if he has done something else previously to make me think I can't trust him to know the rules. Otherwise, I'll assume he saw something I didn't.

You're C and your T calls GT with the ball on its way up, but near its peak. You going to extend the stoppage to make sure he didn't get the rule wrong?
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're C and your T calls GT with the ball on its way up, but near its peak. You going to extend the stoppage to make sure he didn't get the rule wrong?
Why do you keep asking questions about unrelated situations?

In the situation actually being discussed in the thread, I don't see it at all unusual to take a few seconds to make sure the crew gets the call right, especially when you have a notion that a rule may have been misapplied.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickman5 View Post

The goal shakes and ball falls out. I hold off on my whistle because I felt like he was attempting to block the shot.
Attempting.....But DID he block the shot? If not, you have a quick "T" for the vibration making the ball fall out...No goal tending on that, but two shots plus the ball. Faster reaction time and better communication with your partner may have averted a fiasco, I'm just saying'.......
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
Attempting.....But DID he block the shot? If not, you have a quick "T" for the vibration making the ball fall out...No goal tending on that, but two shots plus the ball. Faster reaction time and better communication with your partner may have averted a fiasco, I'm just saying'.......
Say what?

If a player makes a legit attempt at blocking the ball and hits the backboard, you can cause the basket to shake till kingdom come and it's still legal under NFHS rules.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Say what?

If a player makes a legit attempt at blocking the ball and hits the backboard, you can cause the basket to shake till kingdom come and it's still legal under NFHS rules.
I'm assuming the slap was intentional on a missed block, causing the ring to vibrate, and the ball falls clear.....
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 01:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'm assuming the slap was intentional on a missed block, causing the ring to vibrate, and the ball falls clear.....
If the defender attempts to block a shot and the same motion hits the backboard, play on.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Huh? Slap was intentional on a missed block? I'm not catching your meaning.

You have to make a judgment call: was the slap part of a legitimate attempt to make a play on the ball, or was it not? If so, T. If not, play on.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 09:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Do you have a rules citation for this? A great myth that is never accompanied by a quote from the rule or case book.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 10:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Do you have a rules citation for this? A great myth that is never accompanied by a quote from the rule or case book.
That explains the entire team who stood making a T signal when their opponent hit the backboard on a missed block attempt. I put them in timeout.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That explains the entire team who stood making a T signal when their opponent hit the backboard on a missed block attempt. I put them in timeout.
I think there are 2 different scenarios we could clarify.

1. Partner calls goaltending on the basis of a backboard slap. As a result of not knowing the rule.

2. Partner calls goaltending thinking the defender deflects the ball on the way down.

When we have the play as stated by the OP, our radars should go up as a crew and I think either way a quick conversation with the calling official is appropriate since this call is at a critical juncture of the game. In 1, IMO, we get the play right and either choose to penalize with a Technical foul or a play on - We cannot have goaltending on this play.

In 2, there is nothing we can do. If your partner sees something that just isn't there we have to live with it and hope to all learn from the situation and get the play right next time.

This is a great discussion and certainly my approach may not be appropriate for certain groups or areas, but I wholeheartedly believe in doing what is right for the game. In situation 1, this is to get the play and administration correct.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2011, 11:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Wow. Really, do you think that's the rule?