View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Goaltending on Backboard Slap

BV game tonight that I was the crew chief for. Had an interesting scenario that I'd like some input on.

I'm in the C opposite table and A1 drives to the basket from my primary to shoot a layup. B1 jumps to attempt to block the shot, misses the ball (barely) but hits the backboard. The goal shakes and ball falls out. I hold off on my whistle because I felt like he was attempting to block the shot. My partner (at the trail) comes in and calls goal tending. I figure he just kicked the call and thought B1 hit the ball on the way down. Team B's coach goes ballistic, gets T'ed up, and we have a four point swing.

We talk about the play after the game and the official told me he called the goal tending not because he hit the ball, but because he slapped the backboard. I explained to him the rule (either technical foul or nothing) and we moved on.

My question is if we caught that rule misinterpretation during the game, could we have ruled it an inadvertent whistle and went to the arrow for possession?

Last edited by rickman5; Tue Dec 27, 2011 at 10:18pm.