The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

stupid kid; stupid parent

Did a 6th grade boy’s game last week. My partner calls 5th foul on #40. I hear the boy say under his breath, “that call is a bunch of crap.” I say to him, “What did you say?” (Thinking the kid would not say it again) He says the same thing. I give him a technical and tell his coach what happened. After the game the parent asks me what #40 did to get the technical. I told him what happened and mentioned the boy had the chance to take back what was said the first time but repeated the same message, Dad says, “well it was crap and the boy was just answering the question.” Suggesting the boy should not get a T for answering my question. I said it doesn’t work that way and stated you don’t say that to a ref. The dad ranted on about bad calls prior to that, and I just turned and walked away.
In my opinion it was a teachable moment for the boy . Probably not for the dad,
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Henry View Post
Did a 6th grade boy’s game last week. My partner calls 5th foul on #40. I hear the boy say under his breath, “that call is a bunch of crap.” I say to him, “What did you say?” (Thinking the kid would not say it again) He says the same thing. I give him a technical and tell his coach what happened. After the game the parent asks me what #40 did to get the technical. I told him what happened and mentioned the boy had the chance to take back what was said the first time but repeated the same message, Dad says, “well it was crap and the boy was just answering the question.” Suggesting the boy should not get a T for answering my question. I said it doesn’t work that way and stated you don’t say that to a ref. The dad ranted on about bad calls prior to that, and I just turned and walked away.
You thought it was a teachable moment, and it was. Problem was that the child learned that he can say that and dad will back him. That sums up what is wrong with basketball and even life off the court. During teachable moments the children learn that they can get away with far too much, at least as far as parents are concerned. Parents need to be parents and teach their kids some respect for authority, regardless if they agree with the authority.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 09:10pm
We don't rent pigs

I agree he shouldn't have gotten it for answering the question. He should have gotten it for saying it the first time.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 09:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Need For Him To Repeat His Comment ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
He should have gotten it for saying it the first time.
Agree.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
So, you think he said something, then ask him to repeat it, then whack him? You asked what he said and he answered. I side with the parent on this one. Be careful what you ask for. If he repeats it, the teachable moment is you then telling the kid that is inappropriate and move on. It is true that players don't get to say such things to a ref, but asking him what he said without whacking him the first time is not what we get to do as refs. Get it the first time.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2011, 11:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffish View Post
So, you think he said something, then ask him to repeat it, then whack him? You asked what he said and he answered. I side with the parent on this one. Be careful what you ask for. If he repeats it, the teachable moment is you then telling the kid that is inappropriate and move on. It is true that players don't get to say such things to a ref, but asking him what he said without whacking him the first time is not what we get to do as refs. Get it the first time.
Disagree. Personally, I wouldn't have bothered and would have just stuck him, but an official who tries to give him the chance to back down isn't the problem. Letting it go the second time would have been worse.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Agree with Snaq.

If you ask him to repeat it you are baiting him. Either ignore it or T him on the spot. You cannot win with parents at any level. Those after-game conversations rarely go well and should be avoided at all costs.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 01:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

For the record, I don't advocate ignoring. It needs to be addressed.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 01:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
Agree with Snaq.

If you ask him to repeat it you are baiting him. Either ignore it or T him on the spot. You cannot win with parents at any level. Those after-game conversations rarely go well and should be avoided at all costs.
I agree with you. Nothing good can come of asking him to repeat himself. If you're not sure what he said, he just got a freebie. Good on him. If you heard him the first time, whack him and move on. I don't negotiate with players.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
Stick him the first time, for sure, or he gets a freebie. As an educator, when you ask the student to repeat something you might have heard, giving him a chance to "back down" (this is now creating an environment of challenges and what teen is going to back down from a challenge {as a parent and middle school and high school teacher, this rarely happens}) don't be surprised on what you hear and especially don't punish the kid when you ask for clarification, just correct and move on. As an official, if you ask for clarification, don't stick the kid for being honest. It may seem weird, but this will build trust on the court and build a rapport with the players. If you are not seeking that and want to, well I am not sure what you are seeking, and want to the "that ref" according to players, then stick the kid when he answers your questions honestly and be satisfied that the kid has learned his lesson, or whatever you are trying to prove.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 07:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Confucius Say ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffish View Post
Be careful what you ask for.
Be careful what you ask for, because you might just get it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

I may say, #40 if you said what I think you said, please don't use that type of language here. No point in asking him to repeat it, nothing good will come from that and given that he's just been hit with his 5th foul he may be upset so you have to give them some room.

Last week I had an 8th grader commit his 5th foul on a nice open field tackle on the dribbler, no other way to describe it, I call the intentional foul, fouler turns to me and says thanks for the doing the game ref, have a great night and he leaves the court smiling. Table confirms 5 fouls, I inform coach and he says, I know, he (the player) already told me.

Yes my partner should have taken all that but he was too busy walking back up the court from trail.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 09:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Henry View Post
Why ask a player what he said? Either T him b/c you heard what he said or leave it alone.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 09:52am
Archaic Power Monger

I've learned this the hard way, nothing good can be gained from engaging with parents and fans.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2011, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

really?

Sounds like over officiating to me.

TF's are supposed to improve the game and I don't see that in this case. So what if a 6th grader thought and said the call was crap (unless he said it loud enough that it could not have been overlooked - which wasn't the case "under his breath"). The player had just fouled out, made a comment, was asked to repeat it by an adult/authority figure, got T'd for it - baited in my opinion.

Let it go, maybe say something to the coach and move on. Remember that at least one person is going to think any call or no-call is crap depending on their POV.

BTW, of course a parent is going to stick up for their child, especially when there was no profanity involved and it wasn't disrepectful.

Last edited by 7IronRef; Wed Dec 28, 2011 at 10:14am.