The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Goaltending on Backboard Slap (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85137-goaltending-backboard-slap.html)

rickman5 Tue Dec 27, 2011 09:53pm

Goaltending on Backboard Slap

BV game tonight that I was the crew chief for. Had an interesting scenario that I'd like some input on.

I'm in the C opposite table and A1 drives to the basket from my primary to shoot a layup. B1 jumps to attempt to block the shot, misses the ball (barely) but hits the backboard. The goal shakes and ball falls out. I hold off on my whistle because I felt like he was attempting to block the shot. My partner (at the trail) comes in and calls goal tending. I figure he just kicked the call and thought B1 hit the ball on the way down. Team B's coach goes ballistic, gets T'ed up, and we have a four point swing.

We talk about the play after the game and the official told me he called the goal tending not because he hit the ball, but because he slapped the backboard. I explained to him the rule (either technical foul or nothing) and we moved on.

My question is if we caught that rule misinterpretation during the game, could we have ruled it an inadvertent whistle and went to the arrow for possession?

Adam Tue Dec 27, 2011 09:57pm

Assuming you caught it before the T, yes.

bainsey Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:15pm

My only question is, why would Team A's coach go ballistic on a call that favored his team? Did you mean Coach B?

rickman5 Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 808658)
My only question is, why would Team A's coach go ballistic on a call that favored his team? Did you mean Coach B?

Yeah I meant Coach B

just another ref Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:22pm

Had this same situation several years ago.http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...-straight.html

bob jenkins Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickman5 (Post 808654)
My question is if we caught that rule misinterpretation during the game, could we have ruled it an inadvertent whistle and went to the arrow for possession?

Hard to say for sure, but I *might*be going in and asking "what do you have?" to see if we can't get it right.

deecee Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:33am

Why would you not get together and tell him that his call is wrong at the time and fix the problem?

tomegun Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:53am

<sigh>...many officials call this because it is the path of least resistance on this type of play. Count the basket and move one - easy enough for many right? Except it isn't the correct rule application.

Toren Wed Dec 28, 2011 01:11am

My first varsity game ever I had the exact same play happen. I went home and looked up the ruling and will never make that mistake again. In my case, neither coach ever said a peep and they both just accepted it, but that didn't matter.

Tio Wed Dec 28, 2011 01:16am

This is a tough scenario. By rule you CANNOT have a goaltending or basket interference call on this play. It is either a Technical foul or a play on.

The coach obviously knew the crew misapplied the rule and was well within is right to be upset. I am not happy calling a T to compound matters but sometimes guys lose their minds.

As the crew chief, we have to remember our #1 responsibility is to the game. In this situation, the right call was a no-call. I would do the best thing for the game and correct a misapplication of the rules. In other words wipe the violation and scored basket and going to the arrow. We have to display trust in our partners, but there are rare instances... a rules misinterpretation being one where you cannot be worried about hurting someone's ego or feelings. The calling official put the crew in a bad situation in the first place. As crew chief, you cannot allow that to happen and should have that understanding in the pregame that you make all final calls on a rules issue. If you let that go down and your name is on the game report as crew chief, your supervisor cannot defend your inactions.

This is easier said than done... especially from the confines of a computer screen versus in the heat of the moment in a tight ballgame. Hopefully this is a good learning situation for the crew. I would make sure your 3rd understands the rule moving forward... :)

Adam Wed Dec 28, 2011 01:24am

He thought it was a judgment call, do you make it a habit to challenge your partners' judgment calls?

Rich Wed Dec 28, 2011 01:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 808689)
He thought it was a judgment call, do you make it a habit to challenge your partners' judgment calls?

Some people (not necessarily who you're asking) apparently do. :D

BillyMac Wed Dec 28, 2011 07:12am

Who You Gonna Call ???

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6230/6...473e048e_m.jpg

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul. (NFHS)

rickman5 Wed Dec 28, 2011 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 808676)
Why would you not get together and tell him that his call is wrong at the time and fix the problem?

I thought that he had B1 touching the ball on its way down. I didn't know he was misapplying the backboard rule. I didn't ask him about it because I wouldn't have been able to overturn his judgement call of B touching the ball or not.

Welpe Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 808691)
Some people (not necessarily who you're asking) apparently do. :D

Too many unfortunately. :rolleyes: