The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Last night varsity boys game. A player tries to block a shot and slaps the backboard instead. Basket is good. No contact made on shooter. What tip can I use to help in my judgement in making the right call - was it an intentional slap or was he trying to legitimately block the shot?
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

If the ball is still in the air and the defender slaps the ball on the same side of the goal as the shot is attempted, I ignore it.

If you're going to call T every time a player intentionally slaps the backboard, then you'll also have to T every shooter who slaps the backboard on a layup.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Had EXACT same thing last night in V game.

Had a 25 year guy in lead and no call. At Half I asked your question.

He said "if at all possible ignore BBslaps. It hapens and is a tough 2 factor decision that needs to be made.
1) did the player INTENTIONALLY hit the board
2) did it effect the shot.

Ours went in - no issue.

He said he watch's for a slap when the ball is rolling around the rim - basket interference.

Also says he's T'd when slap from out of position player is to alarm the shooter.

Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
He said he watch's for a slap when the ball is rolling around the rim - basket interference.
Oops!! Be sure you remind him this isn't a correct call.

I've called a couple of blackboard slaps in summer league. It's when the shot is long enough before the slap that there was clearly no play on the ball, just an act of frustration or intimidation. They were both good solid slaps too. None of the "just steadying myself" stuff. One was at camp, evaluator thought it was good. Another with a varsity guy watching thought it was great. So I don't so this much but these were two that worked for me.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NCAA def'n of basket interference, I believe FED is similar:

"a. Touches the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket,

b. Touches the ball while any part of it is within the cylinder that has the ring as its lower base, or

c. Reaches through the basket from below and touches the ball before it enters the cylinder."

And remember, "the basket":

"...consists of the 18-inch ring, its flange and braces, and appended net..."
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is NOT BI to slap the backboard when the ball is on, in, near, around, or over the rim.

Slapping the backboard is NEVER BI.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

...and it's hardly ever a T, in my experience...
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 03:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Had a 25 year guy in lead and no call.

Good. It's the trail's call.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Baseman611
Angry I goofed, but how bad

Had a play that still eats at me. In a drive that orginated in the Trails Ares ( mind you this is three man Varsity Boys) I was in the Lead position. I was in between a wide angle and a close down posotion refereeeing the defense in my primary when the dirve came into my secondary. As the shot was released it kissed off the glass and was on its way down. I stuk with the play when from behind a kid came and slapped it off the backboard after it was kissed off the glas ABOVE the rim and on its way down. High School mechanics state the off officials picks up the shot angle. Given this situation, i sat on my whistle and waited for my partners to make the call. It did not happen so I reluctantly took matters into my own hands and called it.

What should have been done?
Was it a goaltend?

This is eating me up inside...
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: I goofed, but how bad

Quote:
Originally posted by Baseman611
Had a play that still eats at me. In a drive that orginated in the Trails Ares ( mind you this is three man Varsity Boys) I was in the Lead position. I was in between a wide angle and a close down posotion refereeeing the defense in my primary when the dirve came into my secondary. As the shot was released it kissed off the glass and was on its way down. I stuk with the play when from behind a kid came and slapped it off the backboard after it was kissed off the glas ABOVE the rim and on its way down. High School mechanics state the off officials picks up the shot angle. Given this situation, i sat on my whistle and waited for my partners to make the call. It did not happen so I reluctantly took matters into my own hands and called it.

Was it a goaltend?

Always looking to network.PLease call me at (xxx) xxx-9156 and ask for Ryan
Ryan --

I know very little about goaltending, but I would strongly recommend that you not put your phone number in here. This is not a private site, and you don't have any control over who sees this.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

It is a general number that takes you to voice mail. I will take your advice into consideration though. Thank You.

Ry
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Re: I goofed, but how bad

Quote:
Originally posted by Baseman611

Was it a goaltend?

If you're sure, AND if it was obvious (not just to you but also to the fan in the last row -- making an assumption that the fan knows the rule), then you should make the call.

That said, the L shouldn't be looking up at the basket during the half-court game.

Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

You are right about the lead not looking up at the basket. I agree with you there. The NFHS mecanics manual states that (and this is not verbatum) "The Lead should officiate from the waiste up. Halfwy between a close down, and wide angle would almost give you just that right angle to get the basket into your own view as well. Point being made though,I ate some crow for that. Part of being a referee.

Ry
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Whether the ball has already hit the glass or not doesn't matter one bit. That factor has NO BEARING AT ALL on a goaltending call at the high school or college level. It is an NBA rule only.
Three criteria must be met for goaltending in NFHS and NCAA play:
1. The ball must be on its downward flight OUTSIDE of the cylinder
2. The ball must be above the level of the ring
3. The try must have a chance of going in / being successful
(Unless the play is during a FT, then upward flight counts as well.)
If your play meets ALL three of those, then it is goaltending.

(If the ball is INSIDE the cylinder, then basket interference is the proper call if THE BALL is touched.)
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

(Unless the play is during a FT, then upward flight counts as well.)
Just to further clarify - the FT goaltending is any touching of the ball outside of the cylinder, and it only applies to the defense.