The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 01:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
What's funny is that you hear that almost every other game. You must be doing something really wrong out there to have coaches directly accuse you of cheating that often.
Or maybe I do not have thin skin? There are many possibilities for why I do what I do and you do what you do. If I am doing something wrong, there are a lot of others that want to do as wrong as I have done. And I am not projecting; they tell me personally how they feel about my place as an official.

Quote:
And yes, there is a good chance that is flagrant. It is much much worse than just saying that the official is terrible. Imagine there is an assignor who finds out that one of his officials did a terrible job one game. Now imagine the assignor finds out an official was cheating and trying to make sure that one team won.
Coaches think anytime you are not calling everything your way they say you are doing a terrible job. That comes with the territory. I am sorry but that seems like you need to man up and stop worrying about what a coach says to or about you.

Quote:
If an official did a bad job one game he could just need more training or possibly just had a bad game. An official who is cheating is entirely different and much more serious. Likewise a coach accusing you of cheating is entirely different and much more serious than a coach telling you that you are awful.
My point to you is I have heard worse. Based on what your standard is if anytime someone is critical of a call they are questioning your ability or calling you a cheater. Now that is your right to feel that way and if any criticism bothers you then T up everyone for all I care. I am glad that works for you if you like it I love it. Many coaches and not all think that if they have displeasure with a call they will voice some opinion about those calls, be my guest if that is your only way to handle things without any other intervention. But I did not get to where I am today by T'ing up everyone that said something bad to me. Because if you think that is personal to me, then you have not watched a lot of basketball at all levels. Better yet you have not talked to officials at many levels either. All officials deal with coaches saying the same things you claim should be a flagrant foul. And I know I have been around than many of those coaches and will continue to be around longer than many of them. I have learned to get coaches to stop even talking to me or my crew and no one knew I said a thing or addressed an issue. Also when you give out Ts all the time people start to think you are the problem not the coach right or wrong.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with most that almost all of these require context and are not immediate T's ... but could be.

However, put me in the camp of ALWAYS T'ing up the 8v5 comment. I don't think it's just me either - saying (or implying) the officials are intentionally calling against 1 team is equivalent to saying they are cheating. This is right up there with, "How much are they paying you for these calls?" or "Gee ref, got money on this game?"

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 02:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I agree with most that almost all of these require context and are not immediate T's ... but could be.

However, put me in the camp of ALWAYS T'ing up the 8v5 comment. I don't think it's just me either - saying (or implying) the officials are intentionally calling against 1 team is equivalent to saying they are cheating. This is right up there with, "How much are they paying you for these calls?" or "Gee ref, got money on this game?"
Agreed. I'm not sure I can think of a scenario where the 8/5 comment doesn't bring a quick T, but it's possible. It's not the same as referring to the foul count, IMO.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

First T of the year yesterday. Player asked me if I was crazy.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Agreed. I'm not sure I can think of a scenario where the 8/5 comment doesn't bring a quick T, but it's possible. It's not the same as referring to the foul count, IMO.

When the coach is right?
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

In reading all the opinions on this thread I have come to the conclusion that I either have thick skin or haven't worked enough games. (Disclaimer I'm all JV, AAU and rec at this point). The only T's I can remember issuing are for F bombs loud enough for the arena to hear. And those were by players. I have had coaches make comments that require my attention but nothing that has made me "whack" them for it.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 06:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From The City Of Brotherly Love ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Was going through my mind some of the statements I've heard coaches say over the years. Was wondering whether, in and of themselves, you find them T-worthy.
TECHNICAL FOULS

Reasons To Not Give A Technical Foul
You can address a coach before it becomes a problem. A quiet word can go a long way in preventing a
technical foul.
When coaches complain, ask yourself, is the call questionable, is the call wrong. If they have a legitimate
gripe, then allow them some latitude. Be courteous. Do not argue. Be firm and fair
If you know a coach is upset then move away from him or her, even if it means that you and your partner
are not switching or rotating properly.
Warnings can be very effective in preventing situations from escalating. Don't tolerate a lot before a
warning.
Lend a reasonable ear. Coaches like to be heard. If you ignore them then they become more frustrated and are
more likely to lose control.
If an assistant is out of line, then you can speak to the head coach and ask them to help you out.
If a player is out of line then let the coach know. Tell them you've warned their player. That way if you
do give a technical foul, then the coach isn't surprised. Most good coaches will speak to the player first.
If you have had a rough day and know your fuse is short, keep that in mind before you do anything rash.
Ask yourself, does the situation come under one of the top reasons to give a technical foul.
If necessary, give an initial strong warning. Let your partner know about the warning.

Reasons To Give A Technical Foul
There are many different factors to consider when deciding to give a technical foul. Generally, there are
three areas of coach's behavior that need attention: when a coach makes it personal, when a coach draws
attention to himself or herself, and when a coach's complaints are persistent.

Some technical fouls are easy. They are black and white situations that leave little room for negotiation:
Using profanity or language that is abusive, vulgar, or obscene.
A coach questions your integrity.
Inciting an undesirable crowd reaction.
A coach is embarrassing an official.
A coach or player has been warned and has not heeded the warning.
Leaving the confines of the coaching box and complaining.
A coach demonstrates displeasure with your partner and their back is turned.

Other technical fouls are not as black and white. In some situations, a warning may be appropriate
before the technical foul is given:
A coach or player continually demonstrates signals or asks for calls.
If they have interfered with the game or your concentration, then they have usually gone too far.
If giving a technical will help give structure back to the game and if it will have a calming effect on things.

Ways To Give A Technical Foul
Calling a technical foul should be no different then calling any other foul. It is simply a rule that requires
a penalty. Maintain a calm attitude, have poise and presence. Don’t personalize it. Don't embarrass the
coach by being demonstrative.
Take your time. Don’t over react. Always sound the whistle and stop the clock with a foul signal. Signal
the technical foul. Take a deep breath to calm yourself. Proceed to the reporting area, report the technical
foul clearly to the table, and leave the area. Never look at a coach when you give a technical foul.
Confer with your partner. If the technical foul is charged to the head coach or bench personnel, have your
partner inform the coach of the loss of the coaching box.
Explanations, it needed should be done by partner. When asked, always explain technical fouls on players
to coaches.

Proceed with the administration of the penalty. After technical fouls, put the ball in play immediately.
The calling official may want to stay away from the coach for a few minutes, even if it means not making
a switch, or making an unneeded switch, after the administration of the technical foul penalty has been
completed.
Because a coach has been penalized with a technical foul does not mean that the coach is allowed
rebuttal time.
Make them earn the second technical foul. Don't be reluctant to give the second technical foul if it
is warranted.

Original Source: The Greater Philadelphia Basketball Official's Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 06:28pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Ways To Give A Technical Foul
Calling a technical foul should be no different then calling any other foul. It is simply a rule that requires
a penalty. Maintain a calm attitude, have poise and presence. Don’t personalize it. Don't embarrass the
coach by being demonstrative.
Take your time. Don’t over react. Always sound the whistle and stop the clock with a foul signal. Signal
the technical foul. Take a deep breath to calm yourself. Proceed to the reporting area, report the technical
foul clearly to the table, and leave the area. Never look at a coach when you give a technical foul.
Confer with your partner. If the technical foul is charged to the head coach or bench personnel, have your
partner inform the coach of the loss of the coaching box.
Explanations, it needed should be done by partner. When asked, always explain technical fouls on players
to coaches.

Proceed with the administration of the penalty. After technical fouls, put the ball in play immediately.
The calling official may want to stay away from the coach for a few minutes, even if it means not making
a switch
, or making an unneeded switch, after the administration of the technical foul penalty has been
completed.
Because a coach has been penalized with a technical foul does not mean that the coach is allowed
rebuttal time.
Make them earn the second technical foul. Don't be reluctant to give the second technical foul if it
is warranted.
Mmmm...

1. In theory a technical foul is no different than any other call. However, in reality we are human and it isn't always the same as any other call.
  2. I have never heard of stopping the clock for a technical with a foul signal.
  3. I do not need anyone to explain something for me. In my little corner of the silver state I pre-game with my partners that the calling official will be the next one to engage a coach after calling a direct technical on a coach. This way, there is no "shoulder to cry on" from the other official(s).
  4. I will submit this for thought: if a coach receives a technical foul and the situation is such that a crew of officials cannot rotate/switch as they normally do for fear (how I look at it) of something else happening with the coach, maybe the coach should have been ejected in the first place.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 06:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bang, Bang ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I will submit this for thought: if a coach receives a technical foul and the situation is such that a crew of officials cannot rotate/switch as they normally do for fear (how I look at it) of something else happening with the coach, maybe the coach should have been ejected in the first place.
The original source is The Greater Philadelphia Basketball Official's Association. Here, in my little corner of Connecticut, we follow many, but not all, of these principles. We will often have the noncalling official remind the coach that he has lost his coaching box privilege. Tempers can sometimes escalate after a technical foul is charged, tempers by both the coach, and occasionally, the official, so it is sometimes conducive to separate them as soon as possible, even if it's just for a few minutes.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Ok I got a new one for ya:

"Call the damn foul!"
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 10:56am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The original source is The Greater Philadelphia Basketball Official's Association. Here, in my little corner of Connecticut, we follow many, but not all, of these principles. We will often have the noncalling official remind the coach that he has lost his coaching box privilege. Tempers can sometimes escalate after a technical foul is charged, tempers by both the coach, and occasionally, the official, so it is sometimes conducive to separate them as soon as possible, even if it's just for a few minutes.
Here in my little corner of the silver state , the instructional chair - who is wonderful gentleman - put together a list of "10 things" we will all do for consistency. Included in that list is the calling official will take a position away from the coach following a direct technical foul on the coach. What that means is the calling official is away during the technical foul shots and when the game resumes the crew will use normal mechanics. What you posted said, "...even if it means not making a switch...". I do not agree with that philosophy at all. Again, if a situation with a coach is so bad that your crew does not rotate for fear of something else happening, maybe the coach should have been ejected in the first place. Also, if the calling official cannot be next to the coach following the technical free throws and subsequent action, maybe officiating isn't for him or her.

It is your little corner of whatever so those are the guidelines you follow. I just think that both the coach and the official should be able to be near each other following technical free throws and live action (which would put the official back near the coach). If they cannot, one of both of them shouldn't be there. If this happened I doubt it would be the first time for either of them so the guilty party should be removed from this beautiful game I love.

That is just how we think in my little corner of the silver state.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Coaches think anytime you are not calling everything your way they say you are doing a terrible job. That comes with the territory. I am sorry but that seems like you need to man up and stop worrying about what a coach says to or about you.
A coach saying that you are doing a terrible job is a technical foul. I feel very sorry for whoever works with you. You need to stop sucking up to the coaches and call some technical fouls.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 03:23pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
A coach saying that you are doing a terrible job is a technical foul. I feel very sorry for whoever works with you. You need to stop sucking up to the coaches and call some technical fouls.
You missed the because that is not what Rut is saying at all. I also doubt he sucks up to coaches.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Ok I got a new one for ya:

"Call the damn foul!"
Okay, no one is going to bite on this, so I'll take it.

This one's an automatic T for me, happened last night.

Visiting coach hasn't said a peep all night. Not one thing to me or my partner other than to request a time out. Then with 1 minute left in the game, and his team down only by 4 points, there's a little scrum in front of his bench. Ball is loose, incidental contact, I have nothing. He says something about his player being put at a disadvantage, I ignore the comment. Then comes "Call the damn foul!"

Whack!
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 03:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Sucking up to coaches for what?

Let me ask you this, how many Ts are acceptable to you. After all you are the expert on this topic.

Grow some skin on your back and stop worrying about what a coach says to you.

Peace