The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Is a player or coach calling you by your first name T worthy?

Ex//

Thats a foul Mr. Smith.
Thats a foul John.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

In my oppinion us calling the coaches by their first names is unprofessional. I feel the same way about coaches calling officials by their first names.

However, if it happens, the first time, I'd say, "Coach, during the course of this game, I'm referring to you as coach, and I expect you to refer to me as Ref"

Whether or not I'd give the T depends on how he says it.

For example, a game a few weeks ago, where the assistant coach is a volunteer ref I work with for the local elementary school league. Now this guy is a good coach, however I feel he would've made a better head coach then an assistant.

Now with about a minute left in the game having already warned this assistant, I called a foul on his team. While I'm reporting he says quite loudly, "Come on Julian, You're taking the game away from us" I whacked him for that. In that context, using my name was the wrong thing to do.

It all depends on the context. If you feel that it's T-worthy then call it.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

No using your name is not T worthy, in and of itself.

If a coach remembers my name I really don't care if he/she calls me by my name. I am still going to only call them coach.

Players should be using ma'am or sir, but I'm not Ting them for using my name unless the context calls for it.

[Edited by blindzebra on Jan 31st, 2005 at 09:55 PM]
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

If a coach remembers my name I really don't care if he/she calls me by my name. I am still going to only call them coach.

Players should be using ma'am or sir, but I'm not Ting them for using my name unless the context calls for it.

If a player called you ma'am would you T him up?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

If a player called you ma'am would you T him up?
Would you?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18

Now with about a minute left in the game having already warned this assistant, I called a foul on his team. While I'm reporting he says quite loudly, "Come on Julian, You're taking the game away from us" I whacked him for that.

No you didn't.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Why shouldn't I have??

1. He was the assistant coach, who shouldn't be making any comments about the officiating.

2. I already had a discussion with the head coach about the expected behaviour of the assistant coach when he was griping about calls earlier in the game.

3. That comment was taking a stab at my integrity as an official. It was loud enough for the coaches of the other team to hear, and it was loud enough that the fans may have heard it.

I believe the coach recieved appropriate warning, and given the same situation I'd do it again.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Whenever a coach refers to me by my first name, I tell him to please not do that. I prefer to be addressed by my nickname - Studmuffin. I'm still waiting for the first female coach to do that.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Why shouldn't I have??

1. He was the assistant coach, who shouldn't be making any comments about the officiating.

2. I already had a discussion with the head coach about the expected behaviour of the assistant coach when he was griping about calls earlier in the game.

3. That comment was taking a stab at my integrity as an official. It was loud enough for the coaches of the other team to hear, and it was loud enough that the fans may have heard it.

I believe the coach recieved appropriate warning, and given the same situation I'd do it again.
Geeze, the 1 thing I don't see here is "it made the game better".

Too bad.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Whenever a coach refers to me by my first name, I tell him to please not do that. I prefer to be addressed by my nickname - Studmuffin. I'm still waiting for the first female coach to do that.
ROTFL HAHAHHAHAHAHA
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Why shouldn't I have??

Geeze, the 1 thing I don't see here is "it made the game better".

Too bad.
There was 1 minute left in the game, the ***'t coach didn't say another word, I left before he could approach me afterward. I don't think that there was enough time left to determine if it made the game better. I assume that if it happened earlier in the game it would've made the game better.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do one of your games wearing shorts and your fishnets and they might say that. Be careful though, it might be a male coach that calls you that.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Some may disagree with this. I feel that it also depends on how well you know that coach. There are plenty of coaches that I know very well and they know me. They call me by my first name and I call them by their first name.

Some may say that it may look bad if the other coach over hears that relationship. That coach is more than welcome to call me by my first name. If I am on the court and they call me by my first name then I will address them by their first name.

I kind of feel that it helps break down some imaginary barrier that some feel makes us be the controller of the game and above everthing else. You usually find those types of relationships in college ball also. I hardly ever hear a coach say hey ref, or the official say hey coach.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
Quote:
ROTFL HAHAHHAHAHAHA
I'd probably T a coach who called me Pookybear.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Umm, I couldn't resist....

Quote:
Oh Studmuffin... come over here and learn this coach a few things about those rules you know so well.....

I wanted to be the first female coach to do something and now you have a first also. Too bad it's not in a real game, wait.. I don't coach real games, just those youth rec things.

PS. I purposely put 0 in the score book for my 00 player last game and no one t'd me, no one said a word, no one even noticed. I AM INVINCIBLE!!! I wonder what else I can get away with next time....

Coach G