The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Sucking up to coaches for what?
What, you mean to tell me the coaches dont assign games in the Land of Lincoln??

Some guys...
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Okay, no one is going to bite on this, so I'll take it.

This one's an automatic T for me, happened last night.

Visiting coach hasn't said a peep all night. Not one thing to me or my partner other than to request a time out. Then with 1 minute left in the game, and his team down only by 4 points, there's a little scrum in front of his bench. Ball is loose, incidental contact, I have nothing. He says something about his player being put at a disadvantage, I ignore the comment. Then comes "Call the damn foul!"

Whack!
Options:

1) Ignore
2) Address: "When there is a foul, I'll get it"
2) Address: "I saw xxxxx."

For me, a T is way down the list of options on this statement, especially in the situation you mentioned (nothing out of the coach until now).

The statement is a heavy straw to add to the camel's back, though.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 04:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes we have a novel idea here in the Land of Lincoln. We actually have these people you call "assignors" and they give games. These "assignors" are often current officials that know officiating on some level and give games based on who they like (Many are State Final or college officials). And in many cases they could give a darn what a coach thinks and will still use officials on their staff. Also there are these things called Holiday Tournaments and Post season that even if a coach does not like you, there is not "scratch" list and you will get the very same coach that tried to ban you in conference play. It works out quite well and coaches have absolutely no say in where I work or do not work. Heck they certainly cannot control who you see in a non-conference game at all, so it is not unusual to see a coach on the road.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Options:

1) Ignore

For me, a T is way down the list of options on this statement, especially in the situation you mentioned (nothing out of the coach until now).

Hm...here's where we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I consider profanity directed at an official in this manner an automatic T. Unsportsmanlike in HS.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2011, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Some people have a quick trigger when it comes to giving a "T" to a coach. I have always been a guy to try to talk to someone first. Most of these cases are HTBT moments and also depends on who you are and who the coach is.

My opinion is that if you are going to stick a coach then make sure it is consistent throughout the season (maybe even career). The only thing I have against trying to be the quickest one to the T, is that you are looked at as unapproachable by coaches. We all have made a slip and sometimes it takes a coach a warning and a look to make him realize he said something we do not like. If he really wants the "T" he'll say it again and get his present.

I've learned that word travels fast, both in the officiating world and coaching world. People will learn that you have a quick trigger and they will try to avoid you. I'm not out here to make enemies with the coaches and that's what I think this tactic will bring.

HOWEVER... We all can name good/great officials that work some of the best ball that have quick triggers. It is all a part of your personality and style.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
Some people have a quick trigger when it comes to giving a "T" to a coach. I have always been a guy to try to talk to someone first. Most of these cases are HTBT moments and also depends on who you are and who the coach is.

My opinion is that if you are going to stick a coach then make sure it is consistent throughout the season (maybe even career). The only thing I have against trying to be the quickest one to the T, is that you are looked at as unapproachable by coaches. We all have made a slip and sometimes it takes a coach a warning and a look to make him realize he said something we do not like. If he really wants the "T" he'll say it again and get his present.

I've learned that word travels fast, both in the officiating world and coaching world. People will learn that you have a quick trigger and they will try to avoid you. I'm not out here to make enemies with the coaches and that's what I think this tactic will bring.

HOWEVER... We all can name good/great officials that work some of the best ball that have quick triggers. It is all a part of your personality and style.
Quick triggers or slow triggers. If a coach utters the words F--K, Sh-t, @s-, or Damn in a direct statement to me in anger I'm whacking them, even if its my Mom.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 03:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Options:

1) Ignore

Me too. D@mn is an adjective for foul, not something directed at me, the official. Besides, that word (and few words) really bother me. It's the actions that go with the words that get the response.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 03:48pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Okay, no one is going to bite on this, so I'll take it.

This one's an automatic T for me, happened last night.

Visiting coach hasn't said a peep all night. Not one thing to me or my partner other than to request a time out. Then with 1 minute left in the game, and his team down only by 4 points, there's a little scrum in front of his bench. Ball is loose, incidental contact, I have nothing. He says something about his player being put at a disadvantage, I ignore the comment. Then comes "Call the damn foul!"

Whack!
Actually, I touched on this one earlier, fiasco, and I completely agree with you.

Aside to Bob & Rich: Even if you took out the word "damn," you still have an imperative sentence. Since when is that tolerable?
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Aside to Bob & Rich: Even if you took out the word "damn," you still have an imperative sentence. Since when is that tolerable?
Since 1865 (or whenver Naismith wrote the first rules).

You're going to T for "Let 'em play" when a coach thinks you're calling it too tight(ly)?

It's both a "when in Rome" thing, a "level of play" thing, and a George Carlin "idiots and maniacs" (or whatever he used) thing.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 04:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Ok I got a new one for ya:

"Call the damn foul!"
Depends on context and volume for me.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 04:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Actually, I touched on this one earlier, fiasco, and I completely agree with you.

It's a big fat ignore for me. Answer questions, ignore statements. He says "Call the damned foul" and I don't even look in his direction and keep officiating. If he repeated it or continues, I deal with it -- maybe by simply giving him a look or saying, "I heard you the first [N] times."

If it's loud, prolonged, or personal, deal with it. That can include many things and may or may not include a technical foul.

But a technical foul for a head coach is likely not going to come this easily. Not varsity and up anyway.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Besides, that word (and few words) really bother me. It's the actions that go with the words that get the response.
It has nothing to do with whether something bothers me or not. It has to do with what is sportsmanlike or not. Personally, I consider it blatantly unsportsmanlike for a coach (or player) to use a profanity directed at a high school official. I think it sends a bad message to the kids, especially.

If you disagree, that's fine, but the bottom line is that we shouldn't be handing out Ts based on our feelings.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 04:19pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
It has nothing to do with whether something bothers me or not. It has to do with what is sportsmanlike or not. Personally, I consider it blatantly unsportsmanlike for a coach (or player) to use a profanity directed at a high school official. I think it sends a bad message to the kids, especially.

If you disagree, that's fine, but the bottom line is that we shouldn't be handing out Ts based on our feelings.
+1

I was taught to respect authority figures. "Call the damn foul" is nothing but disrespect (10-4-1a, which came into play after Naismith did his thing in 1891). I don't see any gray area here at all.

Bob, "Let 'em Play" is more likely to get a stern look and "not again" from me than a T. Certainly Roman and Level Law applies. As for Carlin, I'm very familiar with his "idiots and maniacs" bit for driving, didn't know if it applies to anything else.

(I sense a YouTube link forthcoming.)
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 04:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
+1

I was taught to respect authority figures. "Call the damn foul" is nothing but disrespect (10-4-1a, which came into play after Naismith did his thing in 1891). I don't see any gray area here at all.

Bob, "Let 'em Play" is more likely to get a stern look and "not again" from me than a T. Certainly Roman and Level Law applies. As for Carlin, I'm very familiar with his "idiots and maniacs" bit for driving, didn't know if it applies to anything else.

(I sense a YouTube link forthcoming.)
A stern look for "let em play"? Really?

You know, part of the coach's job is to be an advocate for his team. Sounds to me like you and a few others here are a bit sensitive. And this is coming from an official who's handed out his share of technical fouls over the last 25 years.

Unsportsmanlike behavior doesn't need to be stomped on the first time it happens, either. It's OK to ignore something you feel is toe-ing the line the first time. Even the mildest mannered coaches will say something that's out of character once and if it's not loud enough for everyone to be taken aback by it, how does it help the game to jump all over it?
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 04:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

This is after you say, "Personally, I consider it" which is the same thing as saying, "I feel..."