The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If they did that here and T'd everyone that curse on any level, they would not be working at all. Or not working in the right places. I am not saying is should be tolerated, but it certainly does not need a T every time it is heard either. Just like every coach or player complains about a judgment call that is also a T under the rules.

I gave my first T tonight and it had nothign to do with a curse word. It actually had little to do with on incident. It was a coach that was warned about his behavior directly and then choose to go over the top and got stuck. He hardly said a word the rest of the game. He also knew darn well why he was penalized too.

Peace
Or maybe if enough people called it, it would stop happening. Consistently calling something usually results in the action occurring less frequently than letting it go a lot of the time. A lot of the profanity that is tolerated doesn't have to exist and could easily be eliminated if those in power wanted it to be so.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 08:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I gave my first T tonight and it had nothign to do with a curse word. It actually had little to do with on incident. It was a coach that was warned about his behavior directly and then choose to go over the top and got stuck. He hardly said a word the rest of the game. He also knew darn well why he was penalized too.
Yup. After I called my technical (which had no profanity involved), the coach didn't say anything -- although my partner had to tell him to sit down, which he also did without saying anything.

It's OK to be frustrated when you're losing 70-7, but don't take it out on me.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Wow! Doormat?
Because the coach did his job & used the word "damn" while doing so?

Where do you guys live, in Utah?
And do you happen to do any urban ball?
Hey, I know a lot of people from Utah, and some of them are d@mn good officials!
(Besides, "d@mn and he11 are biblical, so I can use them!)
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 11:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

Sticks And Stones ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Really? Because I certainly thought you called Rich a doormat in this thread.
What? Forum members never call each other names. That reminds me, isn't it about time for Jurassic Referee to return from his sabbatical?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 12:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Or maybe if enough people called it, it would stop happening. Consistently calling something usually results in the action occurring less frequently than letting it go a lot of the time. A lot of the profanity that is tolerated doesn't have to exist and could easily be eliminated if those in power wanted it to be so.
Here is the thing, not everyone around here gets excited over profanity. Actually all it takes is one quiet word and it stops. But just because it is heard does not mean the music is going to stop. I did not say tolerance, I said that it may not result in a T, there is a big difference. Which is why "damn" is not going to be a big deal and players talking amongst each other is also different than talking to your opponents or to the officials.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

I too thought of this thread last night.

GV. Visitors losing by 8-10 points most of 2d half. Home team has a senior girl who is 6'4". Home team plays a high pressure in your face style of ball. V1 has ball near visitors bench at time line. I am T bench side and have dropped into back court to give girls room. H1 has assumed a Hi pressure stance right in V1's grill, but is maintaining verticality. V1, who had picked up her dribble, leans back to try and throw a pass but takes a step. I called travelling. V HC wants a pushing foul. I explained no contact and that she lost her balance. As I was about to turn away the assistant coach, who was chirping all night dismissively waved me off with both hands. Under the organ grinder/monkey theory of assistant coaches (see below) she was whacked. HC was not pleased. H team won by 8.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

What a doozie tonight.

2nd game of a Freshman/JV double header. 2nd quarter, assistant coach apparently doesn't like a call I make in front of his bench. He spouts off something fairly benign at me, to which I turn to the JV head coach and ask him to do me a favor and instruct his bench to keep the chit chat to a minimum. This prompts the V head coach to jump off the bench like he wants to fight me and say "What are you talking about?"

Whack.

Couple trips down the floor, I'm again T next to the same bench, I make another call the peanut gallery doesn't like. This time, the freshman coach, who never made a peep in his game but is now sitting at the end of the bench, says "This guy has got to be out of his freaking mind."

Whack.

So now the JV head coach is only one indirect from getting tossed from the game when he didn't even do anything.

We walk into the locker room at halftime and I find out that the assistant who got the 1st T is the varsity coach. The guys following me are pleading with me not to toss him.

"Why? Wouldn't I be doing you a favor?" I say.

Luckily, neither of the two boneheads show up on the bench for the second half and the game ends smoothly
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 08:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

We Actually Once Had A Junior Varsity Official Toss A "Varsity" Coach ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
I find out that the assistant who got the 1st T is the varsity coach. Neither of the two boneheads show up on the bench for the second half and the game ends smoothly
Here in Connecticut, if the "varsity" coach had been tossed from a junior varsity game, he would have to sit out his varsity game that night, and could not coach until he sat out another junior varsity game. If it were holiday tournament time, or playoffs, of some type, where there weren't any junior varsity games scheduled, that could be along time away from the bench.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 11, 2011 at 08:24am.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Two seasons ago, BJV/V double-header:
BJV game - A gentleman shows up a few minutes into the game, sits at the other end of the bench, and proceeds to give us grief on calls. I go the the JV Coach, and say, "I need you to tell the gentleman on the other end of your bench to keep quiet! I don't want to hear from him again!"
Coach replies, "He's the Varsity Head Coach. I can't tell him that. He's my boss!"
I respond, "He's not your boss for this game. If he costs you a T, you'll wish you had talked to him! But, it's your decision!"
So, he did tell his "boss" what I said. And the V Coach quit his critique of our work. Then, after the 3rd quarter, he left the bench.
During the Varsity game, he never said a thing to us.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 04:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Working a Juco men's game yesterday. Visiting coaches....well, I've seen better quality coaching and working with officials from JV girls coaches. At least I know the home coaches are top notch at this place -- always know how to engage with officials.

I'm the T tableside in front of their bench after a transition play where the L passed on some marginal contact and called the OOB violation. The assistant (the only assistant) gets up and starts yelling in the L's direction. The L tells him to sit and he continues to chirp at the L. At this point I'm right there and I told the head coach he needed to control his assistant. The assistant at this point decided to yell something else at us about making a call or something like this and I decided to give the head coach a second to take care of this before I had to. But then the assistant looked up at me and starting clapping his hands to applaud me and, well, it was time to shoot some free throws.

So the doormat has had 2 bench technicals in 2 days.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 04:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I had my first two Ts of the season on Friday and Saturday. One went to a coach where he used no profanity BTW and the other was for a player that used profanity at me. So I feel ya man.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Well good for you, sounds like you're really starting to get to know your way around a basketball court!