The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

T Worthy?

A was making a push late in the game to close the gap to four with just less than a minute left in the game.

A1 drives the lane for a layup, gets fouled by B1, and the ball goes in. I report and then grant a timeout to B. As the players were getting to their respective spots following the TO, B1 said as passing by me, just loud enough for me to hear, "That was a weak foul."

As background, B1 reacted with emotion a couple times earlier in the game, but I didn't think it was unsporting.

Would like your opinions whether you would have issue a T to B1 for his comment. Thanks in advance.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan74
A was making a push late in the game to close the gap to four with just less than a minute left in the game.

A1 drives the lane for a layup, gets fouled by B1, and the ball goes in. I report and then grant a timeout to B. As the players were getting to their respective spots following the TO, B1 said as passing by me, just loud enough for me to hear, "That was a weak foul."

As background, B1 reacted with emotion a couple times earlier in the game, but I didn't think it was unsporting.

Would like your opinions whether you would have issue a T to B1 for his comment. Thanks in advance.

Yep, this one is even weaker. Whack!!!
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 10:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

"I can show you a stronger foul. It starts with the letter T." If he ignores you, ignore him. If he gives you a nasty face or comment, show him the stronger foul.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

One thing is for sure when you ask if this or that warranted a "T", 99% of the time your going to hear yes.

I wouldn't "whack" this kid just for the comment. I would let him know where I stand on any future comments and that they would be penalized accordingly.

Last edited by Gimlet25id; Fri Jan 25, 2008 at 11:06pm.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

I have had that a few times, and generally I warn the player. Something to the effect of, "I won't be hearing anything from you again." If that doesn't do the trick then . . . whack!
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 07:46am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Concur, I would let it go. I usually just say, "That's Enough. Just play the game" and walk away.....to avoid further "issues."
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 07:55am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan74

I bet you can make the game better by just talking to him. If it was the louder style of comment, such as when the opponents and/or fans could hear, then you have a different story.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

My response, "Yes, it was. Why did you do it?"
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

"Coach, B1 is just one more comment from costing you team a T."

That usually does it. If the coach doesn't handle it, then he's made his bed.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

So was it a weak foul?

Sometimes we make mariginal calls and have to face the truth...
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green
So was it a weak foul?

Sometimes we make mariginal calls and have to face the truth...
So you allow 17 y/o kids to verbally question whether you made a weak call or not?

Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on how he said it. But if it was a marginal call it was a mraginal call... If we have a good dialogue ir he is a captain I may tell him I'll watch closer... Just because he is 17 does not mean he was wrong and that we are always right.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

If it was a weak call that you knew it was weak when you put air in the whistle and the coach or player/captain whoever, says it was a weak call, are you still T'ing him up for that remark? We've all put air in the whistle on a foul, or better yet an anticipated foul, that we wish we didn't. I guess I'm in Kelvin's camp on this.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2008, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

No, it means he's a player who's purpose is to play the game, not make smart@ss comments to officials.

If a captain has a question and asks in an appropriate manner, that's one thing. But a kid walking by and popping off on his way to the bench?

I don't think so.

Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 06:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
If it was a weak call that you knew it was weak when you put air in the whistle and the coach or player/captain whoever, says it was a weak call, are you still T'ing him up for that remark?
The first call might have been weak.That doesn't mean that the second call....the one for the "T"..... is also a weak call. You penalize the act. Period. And the act is a player popping off at you. You decide yourself whether that act is "T"-worthy or not.

As BktBallRef said, any call that we make doesn't subsequently give anybody free rein to dump on us. They pay their money; they takes their chances.