The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 10:03pm
I miss being on the floor

Was told I hustle too much

Had a legitimately fun sophomore boys game tonight. I'd worked with this partner several times already this season, and my assignor would ever allow it, I'd be fine doing all my games with him.

One of his friends was in the stands, a guy who had officiated for a long time. He came into the locker room with us at halftime, and he told me I hustled too much. He didn't mean end-to-end hustle, but he meant in the frontcourt, I moved too much when I was at either position.

Have you all ever been told that before?
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 10:07pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Slow down applies to many things in officiating. Moving to improve can be done deliberately so that you do not look like an electron. See if you can get film of yourself working a game. That is the best way to understand.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 10:10pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
As L, I have a tendency to close down and then move very quckly across the lane. My partners used to complain about it, but, it's something we discuss in pre-game and I am aware of and need to continue to work on......
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

At a camp once I was told that I needed to square my shoulders to what I'm watching at all times. I responded that my neck is quicker and that my shoulders end up that direction. I was told again to square the shoulders so that (they)could tell where I was watching. What say you guys?????
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Ref View Post
At a camp once I was told that I needed to square my shoulders to what I'm watching at all times. I responded that my neck is quicker and that my shoulders end up that direction. I was told again to square the shoulders so that (they)could tell where I was watching. What say you guys?????
It's part of comunicating with your crew. It tells your partners that you've "accepted the play" and they can now look off ball.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

I think my 3rd year reffing I was doing a JVBoys game. I was being evaluated and after the game I was told that even though my calls were correct and I had a good presence on the court, I wasn't sweating enough. I needed to look like I was working more.
I found this funny since at the time I was about 22 years old, probably in the best shape of anyone in our association, and was told this by a 60 yo that retired at the end of that year cause he was too slow to keep up anymore.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
I think my 3rd year reffing I was doing a JVBoys game. I was being evaluated and after the game I was told that even though my calls were correct and I had a good presence on the court, I wasn't sweating enough. I needed to look like I was working more.
I found this funny since at the time I was about 22 years old, probably in the best shape of anyone in our association, and was told this by a 60 yo that retired at the end of that year cause he was too slow to keep up anymore.
Oh to be in one's early 20's and in shape.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Oh to be in one's early 20's and in shape.
Pear is a shape.........
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Had a legitimately fun sophomore boys game tonight. I'd worked with this partner several times already this season, and my assignor would ever allow it, I'd be fine doing all my games with him.

One of his friends was in the stands, a guy who had officiated for a long time. He came into the locker room with us at halftime, and he told me I hustled too much. He didn't mean end-to-end hustle, but he meant in the frontcourt, I moved too much when I was at either position.

Have you all ever been told that before?
I distinguish between hustling and rushing. Hustling is getting into position quickly: knowing where you're supposed to be (during play, time out, intermission, etc.) and getting there with at least a jog.

Rushing is moving too fast: rotating too fast, signaling too fast, hitting the whistle too fast, bailing as Trail before the rebounding is done, etc.

I did not see you work, so I can't tell you what your critic meant. But it's possible he thought that, instead of "moving to improve," you were just moving. Pointless bouncing out to the sideline and back is distracting and, by definition, takes you out of position.

If you have some film take a look and see if you know why you're moving. You can also get some other feedback to see whether other people are seeing the same thing. On the court, try to stand still more as lead, especially when the ball is above the FT line.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 08:42am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Wow.... quite possibly the worst advice ever. Toss that advice quicker than that guy thought of it.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Confident, purposeful movements can be a very promoting factor when it comes to getting that buy-in.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If this is all they've got...you were probably doing a pretty good job!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 02:23pm
This IS My Social Life

Hustler

If by "hustling" the video actually shows you getting caught up in the horserace pace of the players so that you look like a squirrel on a treadmill, then something's not right.
If by "hustling" the video actually shows you never getting settled to view your primary so that you become one of those "wanderers" for no particular reason, then something's not right.
If by "hustling" the video actually shows you bobbing and weaving your head all the time like a bobblehead, then something's not right.
A great clinician once taught that once one is settled in his primary, everything necessary to see can be seen from within the distance of the occasional "karaoke (sp?) step"--one crossover and another lateral step beyond that.
If by "hustling" the video actually shows you quick enough down court that you don't get beat by even the most unexpected turnover and fastbreak, then you've got it together!
From a former squirrel, wanderer, and bobblehead...
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Ref View Post
Don't respond as you did and try to square your shoulders quicker. And smile. And say thank you.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2011, 02:29pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
If by "hustling" the video actually shows you getting caught up in the horserace pace of the players so that you look like a squirrel on a treadmill, then something's not right.
If by "hustling" the video actually shows you never getting settled to view your primary so that you become one of those "wanderers" for no particular reason, then something's not right.
If by "hustling" the video actually shows you bobbing and weaving your head all the time like a bobblehead, then something's not right.
A great clinician once taught that once one is settled in his primary, everything necessary to see can be seen from within the distance of the occasional "karaoke (sp?) step"--one crossover and another lateral step beyond that.
If by "hustling" the video actually shows you quick enough down court that you don't get beat by even the most unexpected turnover and fastbreak, then you've got it together!
From a former squirrel, wanderer, and bobblehead...
I tried to be less of a squirrel in the second half, and I found myself able to see the same amount, if not more. I guess I was trying to make my movements to improve too deliberate.

I'm hoping to get the tape.