The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Was told I hustle too much (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/62560-told-i-hustle-too-much.html)

stiffler3492 Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:03pm

Was told I hustle too much

Had a legitimately fun sophomore boys game tonight. I'd worked with this partner several times already this season, and my assignor would ever allow it, I'd be fine doing all my games with him.

One of his friends was in the stands, a guy who had officiated for a long time. He came into the locker room with us at halftime, and he told me I hustled too much. He didn't mean end-to-end hustle, but he meant in the frontcourt, I moved too much when I was at either position.

Have you all ever been told that before?

26 Year Gap Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:07pm

Slow down applies to many things in officiating. Moving to improve can be done deliberately so that you do not look like an electron. See if you can get film of yourself working a game. That is the best way to understand.

grunewar Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:10pm

As L, I have a tendency to close down and then move very quckly across the lane. My partners used to complain about it, but, it's something we discuss in pre-game and I am aware of and need to continue to work on......

River Ref Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:23pm

At a camp once I was told that I needed to square my shoulders to what I'm watching at all times. I responded that my neck is quicker and that my shoulders end up that direction. I was told again to square the shoulders so that (they)could tell where I was watching. What say you guys?????

bob jenkins Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by River Ref (Post 730513)
At a camp once I was told that I needed to square my shoulders to what I'm watching at all times. I responded that my neck is quicker and that my shoulders end up that direction. I was told again to square the shoulders so that (they)could tell where I was watching. What say you guys?????

It's part of comunicating with your crew. It tells your partners that you've "accepted the play" and they can now look off ball.

Blindolbat Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:07pm

I think my 3rd year reffing I was doing a JVBoys game. I was being evaluated and after the game I was told that even though my calls were correct and I had a good presence on the court, I wasn't sweating enough.:confused: I needed to look like I was working more.
I found this funny since at the time I was about 22 years old, probably in the best shape of anyone in our association, and was told this by a 60 yo that retired at the end of that year cause he was too slow to keep up anymore.

APG Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindolbat (Post 730524)
I think my 3rd year reffing I was doing a JVBoys game. I was being evaluated and after the game I was told that even though my calls were correct and I had a good presence on the court, I wasn't sweating enough.:confused: I needed to look like I was working more.
I found this funny since at the time I was about 22 years old, probably in the best shape of anyone in our association, and was told this by a 60 yo that retired at the end of that year cause he was too slow to keep up anymore.

Oh to be in one's early 20's and in shape. ;)

derwil Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 730525)
Oh to be in one's early 20's and in shape. ;)

Pear is a shape.........

mbyron Wed Feb 16, 2011 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 730505)
Had a legitimately fun sophomore boys game tonight. I'd worked with this partner several times already this season, and my assignor would ever allow it, I'd be fine doing all my games with him.

One of his friends was in the stands, a guy who had officiated for a long time. He came into the locker room with us at halftime, and he told me I hustled too much. He didn't mean end-to-end hustle, but he meant in the frontcourt, I moved too much when I was at either position.

Have you all ever been told that before?

I distinguish between hustling and rushing. Hustling is getting into position quickly: knowing where you're supposed to be (during play, time out, intermission, etc.) and getting there with at least a jog.

Rushing is moving too fast: rotating too fast, signaling too fast, hitting the whistle too fast, bailing as Trail before the rebounding is done, etc.

I did not see you work, so I can't tell you what your critic meant. But it's possible he thought that, instead of "moving to improve," you were just moving. Pointless bouncing out to the sideline and back is distracting and, by definition, takes you out of position.

If you have some film take a look and see if you know why you're moving. You can also get some other feedback to see whether other people are seeing the same thing. On the court, try to stand still more as lead, especially when the ball is above the FT line.

JugglingReferee Wed Feb 16, 2011 08:42am

Quote:

Wow.... quite possibly the worst advice ever. Toss that advice quicker than that guy thought of it.

tref Wed Feb 16, 2011 09:49am

Confident, purposeful movements can be a very promoting factor when it comes to getting that buy-in.

Andy Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:01am

Quote:

If this is all they've got...you were probably doing a pretty good job!

Freddy Wed Feb 16, 2011 02:23pm

Hustler

If by "hustling" the video actually shows you getting caught up in the horserace pace of the players so that you look like a squirrel on a treadmill, then something's not right.
If by "hustling" the video actually shows you never getting settled to view your primary so that you become one of those "wanderers" for no particular reason, then something's not right.
If by "hustling" the video actually shows you bobbing and weaving your head all the time like a bobblehead, then something's not right.
A great clinician once taught that once one is settled in his primary, everything necessary to see can be seen from within the distance of the occasional "karaoke (sp?) step"--one crossover and another lateral step beyond that.
If by "hustling" the video actually shows you quick enough down court that you don't get beat by even the most unexpected turnover and fastbreak, then you've got it together!
From a former squirrel, wanderer, and bobblehead...

reffish Wed Feb 16, 2011 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by River Ref (Post 730513)

Don't respond as you did and try to square your shoulders quicker. And smile. And say thank you.

stiffler3492 Wed Feb 16, 2011 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 730821)
If by "hustling" the video actually shows you getting caught up in the horserace pace of the players so that you look like a squirrel on a treadmill, then something's not right.
If by "hustling" the video actually shows you never getting settled to view your primary so that you become one of those "wanderers" for no particular reason, then something's not right.
If by "hustling" the video actually shows you bobbing and weaving your head all the time like a bobblehead, then something's not right.
A great clinician once taught that once one is settled in his primary, everything necessary to see can be seen from within the distance of the occasional "karaoke (sp?) step"--one crossover and another lateral step beyond that.
If by "hustling" the video actually shows you quick enough down court that you don't get beat by even the most unexpected turnover and fastbreak, then you've got it together!
From a former squirrel, wanderer, and bobblehead...

I tried to be less of a squirrel in the second half, and I found myself able to see the same amount, if not more. I guess I was trying to make my movements to improve too deliberate.

I'm hoping to get the tape.