Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Move to where you need to for the angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I still do two-man occasionally, in fact I have a DH in a couple of hours. Unless there's something where I need to sprint to get to another position, I'll still do the "karaoke two-step", whether at L or T, to get where I need to see the slot or the play better. If necessary, one move will be followed by another, but I still do it all the time whenever I get to do two-man as well as three-man.

The guys I see moving all over the place, sprinting back and forth like an ADD inflicted ant, usually don't get themselves into any sort of better position to see what they need to see better anyway.

Since it's fresh on my mind, I'll try to report back on how it works in two-man after the games tonight.
I'm interested in hearing your report. My original comment wasn't designed to imply that running all over the place as T is SOP in 2-whistle. I generally agree with you that 2-4 steps for angles is sufficient.

However, when the ball goes opposite of your position and is well-above the FT line extended ... I personally move where I need to for angles and sometimes this means taking half dozen steps diagonally into the BC. If the ball squirts out of bounds on the L's sideline and he looks to me for help, I'm sureashell not coming up with a jump ball signal because of poor positioning.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 10:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

As the T in 2-person, I'm moving wherever and whenever I need to in order to get good angles and not get straightlined. Period.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 10:56am
Huck Finn

I avoid using the word hustle as much as possible. The goal of getting into the best position will require a sprint at times and absolutely no movement other times. Some younger officials will hear hustle and think they must always be moving. The end result may be hustling right out of position.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 10:57am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
As the T in 2-person, I'm moving wherever and whenever I need to in order to get good angles and not get straightlined. Period.
I agree.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 11:47am
Do not give a damn!!

I will just say this about the advice. It is one person's advice. That is all it is. Take it for what it is worth and if the person said something to you that makes sense, use it. If it does not make sense, then do not use it. This is why you go to many camps and get evaluated many times, you will hear conflicting things from time to time. We all do not officiate the same.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 11:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I will just say this about the advice. It is one person's advice. That is all it is. Take it for what it is worth and if the person said something to you that makes sense, use it. If it does not make sense, then do not use it. This is why you go to many camps and get evaluated many times, you will hear conflicting things from time to time. We all do not officiate the same.

Peace
Exactly. And there is no "best practices" that we can shoehorn into every piece of advice given.

Example: At one camp I attended I had two consecutive clinicians tell me (1) rotate quicker and (2) don't rotate so fast. Years ago I would've found frustration -- today I try to remember which clinician said it so I can adjust if I get on his court again later in the camp.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 10:05am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post
I'm interested in hearing your report. My original comment wasn't designed to imply that running all over the place as T is SOP in 2-whistle. I generally agree with you that 2-4 steps for angles is sufficient.

However, when the ball goes opposite of your position and is well-above the FT line extended ... I personally move where I need to for angles and sometimes this means taking half dozen steps diagonally into the BC. If the ball squirts out of bounds on the L's sideline and he looks to me for help, I'm sureashell not coming up with a jump ball signal because of poor positioning.
Yep, for this two-man dh I was trying to pay attention to how much I moved to get in position to see what I needed to see. With the obvious exceptions of changes of possession and the occasional situations where an OOB line needed to be covered on a deflection, the karaoke two-step was all that was needed to see what needed to be seen well--sometimes one two-step followed by another two-step.
Of course there are situations where an immediate sprint is necessary, but I think the context of this discussion originated with the critical point that the official seemed to be zipping back and forth all over the place.
Hope things work well for you whatever adjustments you make!
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 11:34am
#thereferee99

You are a talented official!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
the karaoke two-step was all that was needed
I can hardly speak clearly with the whistle in the mouth!