LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Looking for a rulebook interpretation on a FT

Here's the rule snippet:

RULE 9
Section 1. Free Throw
-Art. 2. After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free-thrower:
e. No player shall enter or leave a marked lane space..

--------

What does "disposal" really mean? When the ref tosses the ball to the shooter? Or when the shooter has possession of the ball?

In the Penn State/Minnesota game last night, Penn State (shooting team) was called for a lane violation when the rebounder (at the coach's request) left the lane, just as the referee began to toss the ball to the shooter. Player was called for the violation because of it.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 09:39am
In Memoriam

See NFHS case book play 8.1.1.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 09:41am
Lighten up, Francis.

Ball is at the team's disposal when it is CAUGHT by the free thrower. So if the player leaves the lane space while the ball is being bounced, that's not a violation.

However, once the ball is caught, it is ALSO a violation for any player NOT in a marked lane space to be inside the 3-point arc or below the free throw line extended.

So, my guess is that the player backed out before the ball was caught but was still inside the 3-point arc after the ball was caught. Therefore, violation.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post

So, my guess is that the player backed out before the ball was caught but was still inside the 3-point arc after the ball was caught. Therefore, violation.
You're right...that was probably the call. Though I'd have to go back and see when the whistle was blown.

Last edited by smokeybandit; Fri Feb 18, 2011 at 10:00am.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybandit View Post
In the Penn State/Minnesota game last night, Penn State (shooting team) was called for a lane violation when the rebounder (at the coach's request) left the lane, just as the referee began to toss the ball to the shooter. Player was called for the violation because of it.
That's not quite what I saw. The PSU player in the lane spot to the shooter's right stepped out while the ball was bouncing, and stepped back in as the shooter received the ball.

But the PSU player in the lane spot to the shooter's left stepped out after the shooter had the ball and took 2 steps before the whistle blew. I suspect that was the violation that was called.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

This was a recent NFHS clarification. It used to be that once the referee released the ball toward the shooter, it could be considered "at the shooters' disposal", which really made no sense.
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 03:00am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
This was a recent NFHS clarification. It used to be that once the referee released the ball toward the shooter, it could be considered "at the shooters' disposal", which really made no sense.
The recent NFHS editorial change that clarified 'at the disposal' was specific to situation involving a made (or awarded) basket (4-4-7d) and can be found on page 2 of the current rules book

I am certain that the rules book definition of 'at the disposal' has always been pretty unambiguous in regards to FTs. Have experienced some *******ized interps as to 'on the release' vs 'on the catch' in administering a FT.
4-4-7b pg 26