The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 02, 2003, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

I have a question regarding philosophy of officiating at NF and NCAA. The question is why do we like "false" hustle? Let me tell you what I mean. Last night I saw it a bunch of times in a D-I game, and I know there are some refs who have conversations about this..

Lead away from the table calls a foul, takes of running all the way to half court line about 10 ft from the scorer's table sideline... Then he turns and runs all the way back to C position ( opposite table at FT line) He had to have run 60 ft pus to report and then run back another 30 ft.

He also did it from C, away from table ran all the way to a few feet from the table and then back..

We are constantly hearing how we need to hustle but it seems like we are so worried about running out to report it that we have no clue what is happening after the shot. There's no way this guy could have. Why is reporting like this GOOD hustle when people are evaluated?

Now I dont think that someone should saunter around and take forever to report but I have also heard from refs to move just so it looks like you are moving. BTW it seemed like this D-I official worked hard ut he sprinted more during reporting than he did most any other time down the floor. He always had good position and the couple of time in fast transition he got there, but he worked harder getting to reporting spots than he did most of the time down the floor.

In this crew on FT's lead ( all members) would go out to the arc on a FT, just so they could take 3-4 steps to close in on a rebound.
You also see this alot that trail takes steps in and is in a different position than they normally would be as trail to call a foul on rebounding, particularly on FT's...

I never advocate standing flat footed or not working when you need to. In fact this year my pet peeve in our association is the magical spot where the VB spike line and VB sideline meet....where a ton of officials go and park to call the game especially in a two person game.. But why all this other any comments?
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

Kelvin,
You're right. To me hustle means run when you need to, not when you don't.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 03:49am
Official Forum Member

Arrow no reason to get that close

The nice thing about NCAA mechanics is that you DON'T run that close to the table. All you're supposed to do is clear the players so the table has a good look at you. At the Pac-10 game I was at today, officials were reporting fouls they called (when opposite the table in C or T) from just a few steps off the sideline.

I know that when I do my H.S. games, I jog to a spot that's at about the top of the key, 5 feet towards the table. Everyone at the table has a neck, let them use it!
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Hustle is not wasted/false

Kelvin, the main difference I see here is that during the action of the game the official needs to be in position and his hustle for this porpose is IMPORTANT TO THE OFFICIAL SO THAT HE GETS IN POSITION - the fans are watching the player's action.

Once a whistle is blown, the players stop... now the fans are waiting for you... and if you saunter out to make your report, they will really feel like they are specifically WAITING FOR YOU. I think it is important for an official to hustle at this time and thereby draw as little attention as possible.

As mentioned earlier, hustling to get within 10 feet of the table is ridiculous - midcourt is generally, plenty close... and then only as close as it takes for the table to understand what you are telling them. JMO
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Kelvin, it's all perception and the image that an organization wants/hopes to project. We always say that if you wear a stained shirt, or have a funky hair style, or if you wear belted pants, or if you have facial hair, or if you wear glasses, or if you arrive at a game site in sweatpants, or whatever -- you are judged on your appearance. If you have a bad appearance then you already have the coaches against you, even if you're a good official.

In the NCAA, they want to project the image that their officials are working hard and not lazy. So they run to the table, they jump to catch a FT before it hits the ground. They purposely line up a couple steps away from the basket so that they can slide down to catch the rebounding action. All this is supposed to project a hard woking/hustling image for the officials.

At the pro level, they want to project a "cool under fire", very professional image. So running to report a foul is a waste of energy. It makes you look nervous or over-eager. If the coaches see you doing that, they'll perceive you as too immature or excitable.

I don't really think it makes any difference at all. It's all in what is expected. If you do what's expected, you fit in and look like you're with the program. If you don't do what's expected (like giving the player control signal in a pro game ), then you look like a fish out of water and you draw unwanted attention to yourself. Bottom line, when in Rome. . .

Just my two cents.

Chuck
Old Mon Feb 03, 2003, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Kelvin, it's all perception and the image that an organization wants/hopes to project. We always say that if you wear a stained shirt, or have a funky hair style, or if you wear belted pants, or if you have facial hair, or if you wear glasses, or if you arrive at a game site in sweatpants, or whatever -- you are judged on your appearance. If you have a bad appearance then you already have the coaches against you, even if you're a good official.

In the NCAA, they want to project the image that their officials are working hard and not lazy. So they run to the table, they jump to catch a FT before it hits the ground. They purposely line up a couple steps away from the basket so that they can slide down to catch the rebounding action. All this is supposed to project a hard woking/hustling image for the officials.

At the pro level, they want to project a "cool under fire", very professional image. So running to report a foul is a waste of energy. It makes you look nervous or over-eager. If the coaches see you doing that, they'll perceive you as too immature or excitable.

I don't really think it makes any difference at all. It's all in what is expected. If you do what's expected, you fit in and look like you're with the program. If you don't do what's expected (like giving the player control signal in a pro game ), then you look like a fish out of water and you draw unwanted attention to yourself. Bottom line, when in Rome. . .

Just my two cents.

Chuck
Very true...

My two sense!