The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
It's fine if he wants to keep his association's bargain -- that's a personal choice. What's slimy is that their association doesn't even hesitate in keeping OTHER association's bargains even though they have no reason to do so.
I will agree with you that is a point that can be debated. And to be honest I am about 50-50 on it. Do you fill in when others fail to do what they are contracted to do? Or do you just let both parties sink or swim? I can see both sides of that argument. 1) We will fill in for the "good of the game" or 2) I am only doing what I am contractually obligated to do and no more. IMO, either way is fine b/c the rubber doesn't hit the road until the new contract and/or the next season.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 06:50pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
It's fine if he wants to keep his association's bargain -- that's a personal choice. What's slimy is that their association doesn't even hesitate in keeping OTHER association's bargains even though they have no reason to do so.
I see one reason as damage control. Unless something changes, when the "tweaked" proposal comes to a vote again, it will not separate who honored the previous agreement and who didn't. The longer the delay, the more trouble it would have been for the other side, the more potential bad blood, the more chance they would vote against the raise next time.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 07:03pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The bottom line I get paid enough for most games to pay for both a shirt and some pants almost every game. You do not get paid enough to pay for half of a full tank of gas in my truck.
So now it has dissolved into "I have more stuff than you have." Very nice. Kinda like arguing with a 6 year old, except the 6 year old could type his messages better.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 08:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The longer the delay, the more trouble it would have been for the other side, the more potential bad blood, the more chance they would vote against the raise next time.
Man, they really have you scared, don't they? If all the LA officials were like you, it would be another 21 years before they'd even ask for a raise.

I sincerely hope that your association...and yourself.....aren't two-faced enough to accept a raise if one is given by the LHSSAA. Stick to your principles and refuse those ill-gotten gains made by others that you're so dead against. After all, it's not like you've risked one damn thing to make things better for officials in LA, is it?
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 08:27pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
After all, it's not like you've risked one damn thing to make things better for officials in LA, is it?
What did I have to risk?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

"Ill gotten gains"? Seriously? Since when is a negotiated contract ill gotten?

Which is being two face:
a) Agreeing to a contract and then before the contract expires, saying that the contract is insufficient and fail to live up to your end of the bargain
or
b) Fulfilling your contract and negtiating for a better one when the current one expires?

If enough officials decide not to work for those new wages, does that make those who do evil? If someone is willing to work for the wages being offered why demonize them?
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 08:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I see one reason as damage control. Unless something changes, when the "tweaked" proposal comes to a vote again, it will not separate who honored the previous agreement and who didn't. The longer the delay, the more trouble it would have been for the other side, the more potential bad blood, the more chance they would vote against the raise next time.
The best thing that could happen long-term would be that the raise gets voted down and everyone walks next season. Then when you go work anyway, I'm sure you'd have a "good" reason. Otherwise I'd expect that everyone will get $2 or some ridiculous amount and the principals will act like they're being generous.

Last edited by Rich; Sun Feb 06, 2011 at 08:40pm.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 08:40pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
The best thing that could happen long-term would be that the raise gets voted down and everyone walks next season. Then when you go work anyway, I'm sure you'd have a "good" reason. Otherwise I'd expect that everyone will get $2 or some ridiculous amount.
Lot of difference between "everyone" walking and what we had here. What if one crew in our association had decided not to work on Tuesday, should the rest of us have refused to take their game?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 08:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
I will agree with you that is a point that can be debated. And to be honest I am about 50-50 on it. Do you fill in when others fail to do what they are contracted to do? Or do you just let both parties sink or swim? I can see both sides of that argument. 1) We will fill in for the "good of the game" or 2) I am only doing what I am contractually obligated to do and no more. IMO, either way is fine b/c the rubber doesn't hit the road until the new contract and/or the next season.
It's one thing to fill in for a neighboring association when they simply get overwhelmed with games. But that's not what happened here. This is one group essentially telling the schools not to worry about this little dispute because they'll step up and fill in the gap.
Again, if they actually get a raise, it'll be in spite of the sh1tty behavior of jar's association. If they don't get a raise, it'll be largely because of the guys who didn't think it was important enough to take a small risk.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 08:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I just don't see the risk, personally. In that position, I'd not work, I'm sure of it. What is there to lose, $31 a game? And for those who say, "think of the children," that just presupposes that those of us that officiate do it for the children. Big assumption to make.

I enjoy officiating, but I'd never cross this line. I'd pack the stuff up for the year and enjoy a few more nights at home with the family.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 08:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Lot of difference between "everyone" walking and what we had here. What if one crew in our association had decided not to work on Tuesday, should the rest of us have refused to take their game?
What was the vote in your association? If mre than 50% decided to walk, then all should walk. Did your group even take a vote?
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 08:55pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Did your group even take a vote?
no

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's one thing to fill in for a neighboring association when they simply get overwhelmed with games. But that's not what happened here. This is one group essentially telling the schools not to worry about this little dispute because they'll step up and fill in the gap.
Again, if they actually get a raise, it'll be in spite of the sh1tty behavior of jar's association. If they don't get a raise, it'll be largely because of the guys who didn't think it was important enough to take a small risk.
I can see that argument. But, and this is a point made by both JAR and RICH, how many people ACTUALLY left. I am assuming there are more than 7 assocations in LA ( I could be wrong) and only 4 walked. so since less than 1/2 of the associations walked, the 'majority' didn't support that action.
If the schools come up with a low offer and the majority of the associations decide NOT to sign on, and someone crosses, then I have an issue. Again, I think the Associations hold most of the cards here, but for the next contract, not this one.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 08:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
no
Really? Interesting.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 08:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
I can see that argument. But, and this is a point made by both JAR and RICH, how many people ACTUALLY left. I am assuming there are more than 7 assocations in LA ( I could be wrong) and only 4 walked. so since less than 1/2 of the associations walked, the 'majority' didn't support that action.
4 out of 14

Lonesome Dove