The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 01:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Naw, he was just petting you, rubbing your ears, patting your tummy and saying "good doggie". And by golly, it worked, didn't it?.
I am sorry but that is funny.

BTW, I have never had an extensive conversation with a Principle about anything officiating other than when I ejected a coach years ago. And that was only done because the form we file goes to the Principal of the school on every ejection (Special Report). Even former coaches that have turned into Principals I have never talked to them about anything other than where they were going to be if we needed them to get rid of some fans. I would never talk to them about pay in an extensive way. But obviously in LA they do things differently in more than choice of belt.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 04:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
But obviously in LA they do things differently in more than choice of belt.
At $36 a game and a pay raise every 21 years, I'm surprised that they can even afford belts.

I wonder how many pay raises that JAR's ol' buddy, the principal, has had in the last 21 years.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 04:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
At $36 a game and a pay raise every 21 years, I'm surprised that they can even afford belts.

I wonder how many pay raises that JAR's ol' buddy, the principal, has had in the last 21 years.
They cannot afford the more expensive pants and get them hemmed that is for sure.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 04:22pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Naw, he was just petting you, rubbing your ears, patting your tummy and saying "good doggie". And by golly, it worked, didn't it?.
Right. So you would have just snatched the check from his hand, said "Thanks for nothing, you tightwad so and so," and walked out. Nobody is gonna rub your ears and pat your tummy.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 04:27pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I would never talk to them about pay in an extensive way.
Yep, another good idea. Never talk extensively about pay to one of the guys who votes on whether you get your raise or not. That couldn't accomplish anything. Just stay home and refuse to work, even though you have an agreement in place to do so. That makes sense. Better yet, those guys should have walked out at halftime of the games on Tuesday. They'd probably have given us an immediate raise then.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 04:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Now I see why my friend that moved to LA stopped officiating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Yep, another good idea. Never talk extensively about pay to one of the guys who votes on whether you get your raise or not. That couldn't accomplish anything. Just stay home and refuse to work, even though you have an agreement in place to do so. That makes sense. Better yet, those guys should have walked out at halftime of the games on Tuesday. They'd probably have given us an immediate raise then.
I did not say you couldn't talk to them, I said I do not see the reason why to talk to them. I am a President of an organization and I do not talk to any Principal about pay of officials. Then again I do not work in a system where the state can "price fix" what everyone does throughout a large state. And I would not know when or how I would get into that kind of conversation. I am not going to call them. I guess I would talk to them before a game, but not likely. That is usually what the AD is for. But then again this is why your state is the laughing stock in this area (as well as some mechanical things you have done over the years too). Then again, talk away and still get paid less than the person you are talking to for the time he/she is at the game. The fact you keep standing up for this crap is telling to me.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 04:41pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I did not say you couldn't talk to them, I said I do not see the reason why to talk to them.
Maybe we should hire you as our representative, with your great communication skills.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 04:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Maybe we should hire you as our representative, with your great communication skills.
You can be critical of my typing skills all day long. The bottom line I get paid enough for most games to pay for both a shirt and some pants almost every game. You do not get paid enough to pay for half of a full tank of gas in my truck. I have never been paid in my career as low as you have (other than one school that was close to my house at the time) than you have been paid all of this year.

My communication skills have nothing to do with that at all and maybe why you have not been given a raise in 21 years and I have never had to go out and ask for one. Then again no one in your area gets upset over how they look based on your post. I think I must be communicating something to the right people. This is a discussion board, what we say here means nothing in the end. You still are getting the shaft no matter how you want to say it.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 05:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
You guys need to hire someone. On our board we took a PAY CUT to $62.50 a game in order to get a 3rd official on the court for GV. We did this on our own volition. Before that we were getting $75.00 a game for public school varsity (3-man for boys; 2-man for girls). And we did this after losing our other public school conference to our ex-patriat commissioner; so we know all about losing business to competitors.

And we get $30/game for our rec leagues.

So nobody is really impressed about your 'success' in getting games in LA.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 05:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
By "our representative", does the "our" mean the LA officials or the principals? From all of your previous posts, it seems fairly reasonable to assume that you're on the principals' side of this dispute.

That might not be a bad idea to hire Jeff anyway, JAR. Seriously. He understands the problem, knows that he's supposed to represent the interests of officials instead of the principals, and he also understands that you don't say anything to the side that you're negotiating with that might come back and haunt your side later.

Iow Jeff gets it. You don't.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 05:29pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You guys need to hire someone. On our board we took a PAY CUT to $62.50 a game in order to get a 3rd official on the court for GV. We did this on our own volition. Before that we were getting $75.00 a game for public school varsity (3-man for boys; 2-man for girls). And we did this after losing our other public school conference to our ex-patriat commissioner; so we know all about losing business to competitors.

And we get $30/game for our rec leagues.

So nobody is really impressed about your 'success' in getting games in LA.
I work for two associations in FL. FHSAA sets a minimum for officials' pay. I am paid differently by the two associations. Within my primary association, there is a difference on JV games. One county pays $5 less but has 7 minute qtrs. My secondary assn had one school district eliminate MS teams and it resulted in fewer games available. That assn wanted to be able to provide enough games for everyone and had the fee for varsity split 3 ways for 2 officials. However, that assignor has more off-season opportunities, so I view it differently. I live at the extreme southern edge of my assn and schools in the secondary assn are closer than many in my primary. So, I plan that into my thinking.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 05:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Nobody is gonna rub your ears and pat your tummy.
In place of giving me more than one small pay raise in the last 21 years? I'd have to say that you're completely correct in saying that I wouldn't be purring like you, JAR.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 05:49pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Seriously. He understands the problem, knows that he's supposed to represent the interests of officials instead of the principals, and he also understands that you don't say anything to the side that you're negotiating with that might come back and haunt your side later.
What did I say that could possibly come back to haunt my side?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Since when do people get criticized for keeping their word? This makes no sense to me.
JAR is keeping his word and the part of his bargain with his association and the LHSAA. The fact that the LHSAA is not doing the same is not really his problem at the moment. Two wrongs don't make a right. Everythng else is just an example of people trying to justify their behavior. You don't need to justify doing what you said you would do.
I respect JAR sticking to his guns during this difficult time and wish more people would honor their words like him, the world would be a much better place

Last edited by Judtech; Sun Feb 06, 2011 at 05:56pm.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 06:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Since when do people get criticized for keeping their word? This makes no sense to me.
JAR is keeping his word and the part of his bargain with his association and the LHSAA. The fact that the LHSAA is not doing the same is not really his problem at the moment. Two wrongs don't make a right. Everythng else is just an example of people trying to justify their behavior. You don't need to justify doing what you said you would do.
I respect JAR sticking to his guns during this difficult time and wish more people would honor their words like him, the world would be a much better place
It's fine if he wants to keep his association's bargain -- that's a personal choice. What's slimy is that their association doesn't even hesitate in keeping OTHER association's bargains even though they have no reason to do so.