The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 28, 2001, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

As an aspiring NFL Official I hate to see the NFL Officials Association giving officials a bad name by asking for ridiculous contracts (i.e. full-time officiating) and then not negotiating with the NFL.

Asking for more money is one thing but waiting to the last minute before negotiating isn't going to fix anything. THEY ARE CURRENTLY UNDER CONTRACT and they all agreed to the current contract. OK, the NFL can afford more but at least negotiate in good faith.

Where can I write to share my opinion with those involved?
Old Tue Aug 28, 2001, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

It wouldn't sound so rediculous if you were one of those guys who have worked long and hard to ascend to the top of their profession. They realize that their service plays an integral (not major) part in the NFL's success and delivery of their entertainment product that you watch every Sunday. There is A LOT of money in this league, and it is only fair that they should share in the league's prosperity as its employees.

If their demands are met, it should only raise the stakes for aspiring officials like you (and me) to do the very best that we are capable to reach their level.

As for your latter assertions, the NFL officials' contract had expired the day after the Pro Bowl in February, 2001. They have been working the past few months (clinics and pre-season) without a contract. Furthermore, it has been the league's modus operendi to wait until the last minute to hash these issues out. The NFLRA would have loved to settle this thing back in March, but the league was focused on its pending litigation with Al Davis ($1 billion anti-trust suit brought by Raiders owner) and Orlando Brown ($200 million liability suit - hit in eye with flag). So, the league is the one that put this one off. The NFL is one big media machine that can spin this any way that they like even if it means "giving officials a bad name."

So, if you want to share your opinion with those involved, feel free to write the NFL and the NFLRA. I just wanted to make sure you had your facts straight before you contact them ...

[Edited by Zeke5 on Aug 28th, 2001 at 04:42 PM]
Old Tue Aug 28, 2001, 06:21pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

As an aspiring NFL Official I hate to see the NFL Officials Association giving officials a bad name by asking for ridiculous contracts (i.e. full-time officiating) and then not negotiating with the NFL.

I'm sure that you'll appreciate the pay increase once you get there though!

As Zeke5 stated -- the NFL officials' contract expired in March. This is all part of contract negotiations -- if neither side wants to budge, you wait. Then, both sides start making some concessions, and finally you come to an agreement.

THEY ARE CURRENTLY UNDER CONTRACT and they all agreed to the current contract.

They are NOT under contract. They worked pre-season games without any contract.

I doubt that writing something like this to anyone on the NFL officiating staff will help your aspirations to join their ranks.

By the way, don't think that NFL officials don't ever visit Officiating.com or this discussion board. So, if you wouldn't say something to their face, you may not want to post it here.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2001, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Zeke5,

Thank you for correcting me. I have been reading whatever I can find on the subject but obviously had not found all the facts.

I agree with you that officials are a significant part of the NFL and deserve to share in the profits. I missunderstood about the contract status and thought that the NFLRA just wanted to renegotiate an existing deal. I don't like it when players do it and I wouldn't like it if officials did it. Fortunately I was wrong and I'm glad you straightened me out.

Maybe you can help me understand this further...

Why is the NFLRA asking to make officials full-time employees? Would they put in that many hours, year-round? I know the officials in my association do a few clinics in the off-season but not enough to justify full-time employment. How would it work? Is there even enough work?

Finally, you say it is the League's method to wait until the last minute. What is going on that makes negotiations break off without progress? I get the perception (from the press) that the League has budged a little but the NFLRA has not. Is this incorrect?

Thank you in advance for enlightening me, again. I came here to find out more about this issue because it concerns me greatly. I love the game and hate the idea of a strike BY ANYONE, yet I understand when the circumstances call for one. Hopefully, they will come to an agreement!

p.s. (Brad) I would share my thoughts with anyone (and have done so). Why do you think I'm here? And why do you think that I was looking for someone to contact about it? If I knew an NFL official I would have asked them first. Is officiating.com not a good source for this kind of information? I'm sorry if I have offended you.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2001, 12:23pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

p.s. (Brad) I would share my thoughts with anyone (and have done so). Why do you think I'm here? And why do you think that I was looking for someone to contact about it?

I thought so because you said the following: Where can I write to share my opinion with those involved?

So, it appeared to me that you wanted to contact some NFL officials and comment on what is going on... Maybe I read that wrong though.

If I knew an NFL official I would have asked them first. Is officiating.com not a good source for this kind of information? I'm sorry if I have offended you.

No offense taken... This forum is a great place for this kind of information...

My point is that we, as officials, need to stick together. When the NFL officials get more money, so do NBA, NHL, MLB, and others. Then it filters down to the college ranks as well... So, it is a good ripple effect for many officials.

To answer some of your other questions. The NFL officials work about 60+ hours a week during the season and 20-25 a week during the off-seaon on officiating related things.

If you are interested in more information, I encourage you to read the interview with Ed Hochuli, NFLRA President, in the Football section of Officiating.com

Thanks,
Brad
Old Wed Aug 29, 2001, 10:38pm
Administrator

I would like to add my two cents to the contract dispute between the NFLRA and the NFL. I come from a union background. My father was a member of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters for over fifty years, and his two brothers were members of the United Steel Workers for over forty years, and I am a member of the American Federations of Teachers. I will be the first one to admit that unions are not perfect but the standard of living and the working conditions that exist in this country today are the product of unions representing the workers of America. While one does not think of the UBC, USW, and the AFT in the same breath as the NFLRA, all of them exist to make sure that its members get a fair shake from their employers. Having said that let me get to the central theme of my post.

I officiate four sports: basketball, baseball, softball, and soccer, and basketball is my serious sport and I officiate the other three sports for fun. If the NBA or WNBA officials were ever to go on strike, and I were offered a chance to officiate in place of a striker I would turn it down.

Why? Have you ever been in an officiating postion where you took a stand on principle and refused to officiate because of that position because to officiate would not be in the best interest of the profession? You were willing to lose money to take a stand on principles. But at the same time many of your brother/sisters were more than willing to take those games because of the money.

I say a pox on your family to any official who works as a scab. You have forsaken your brothers/sisters just so you could say you officiated in the NFL. We are supposed to
conduct ourselves in a professional and ethical manner. It is neither professional nor is it ethical conduct to take another person's job under such circumstances.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Aug 29, 2001, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rmplmn

Asking for more money is one thing but waiting to the last minute before negotiating isn't going to fix anything. THEY ARE CURRENTLY UNDER CONTRACT and they all agreed to the current contract. OK, the NFL can afford more but at least negotiate in good faith.

Why do I keep reading this on all the Discussion boards? The NFL officials are not presently under contract.

Folks, if we're going to make such bold accusations, we should at least have there facts straight!

Also, the NFLPRA is not on strike. The NFL has chosen to replace them.

I don't have a side in this because I don't know all of the facts. I would suggest that none of us should jump to conclusions. But I do know bias reporting when I see it.It would appear that the press is tilted slightly against the NFLPRA.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Aug 29th, 2001 at 11:34 PM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Aug 31, 2001, 03:10am
Official Forum Member

"I say a pox on your family to any official who works as a scab. You have forsaken your brothers/sisters just so you could say you officiated in the NFL. We are supposed to
conduct ourselves in a professional and ethical manner. It is neither professional nor is it ethical conduct to take another person's job under such circumstances."

Did you know that a current, long-time NFL official
"scabbed" when the MLB umpires struck back in the 70's? He bought a new car with the money he earned working games during the walkout. It all depends on which side of the picket line you're on. And how money-hungry you are. So much for "It is neither professional nor is it ethical conduct to take another person's job under such circumstances." Just out of curiosity, I wonder what his thoughts are on the replacement officials.

Bob
Old Fri Aug 31, 2001, 02:23pm
Administrator

Thank you, BlueZebra, you just proved might point. I do not know which current NFL official was a scab during the 1970's MLB umpire's stike but you know the old saying what goes around comes around.

I wonder what he is thinking right now, as he sees scabs taking his job just like he took somebody's job in the 1970's, I hope he has seen the errors of his ways and apologizes to the MLB umpires that were on strike in the 1970's. Using the money to but a new car or being money hungry does not have anything to do with professionalism and ethics.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio