The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

He is D I but I don't know if he is doing colege ball. He does plenty of big V gaames here in Texas. Again, I agree about the unsporting advantage. I will get more succinct in my posts. The quick T bothered me the most.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

When you say D1 around here, we generally assume D1 college. As far as the play, it sucks to work. I can see both sides. I would tend to do what your partner did as this was an 8th grade game. As far as quick on the T, you mention that this guy is a high school official of some merit in your state. I doubt if he was going to take much crap off an 8th grade coach.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
when you say d1 around here, we generally assume d1 college. As far as the play, it sucks to work. I can see both sides. I would tend to do what your partner did as this was an 8th grade game. As far as quick on the t, you mention that this guy is a high school official of some merit in your state. I doubt if he was going to take much crap off an 8th grade coach.
+1
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
When you say D1 around here, we generally assume D1 college. As far as the play, it sucks to work. I can see both sides. I would tend to do what your partner did as this was an 8th grade game. As far as quick on the T, you mention that this guy is a high school official of some merit in your state. I doubt if he was going to take much crap off an 8th grade coach.
Much? I'm just a garden variety HS official and I'd take just a bit more than none.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:27pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

The more I think about this, the more I hate being in this situation.

I dislike coaching players. Players already have a coach and in doing so, places the other team at a disadvantage. What if an official says something that is contrary to what the actual coach said?

To place B in this situation does seem like a cheap way to administer the game.

I suppose I could interpret that that defense didn't see which direction the calling official pointed.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophyal View Post
The quick T bothered me the most.
Why? How much crap is your partner required to tolerate?

And please don't tell me it was the "end of a close game," as if that gives coaches carte blanche to crap on officials.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Why? How much crap is your partner required to tolerate?

And please don't tell me it was the "end of a close game," as if that gives coaches carte blanche to crap on officials.
Exactly. It's the end of a close game, therefore it's even more important that the coach maintain his cool. My technical filter is pretty consistent -- if it draws a technical in the first quarter, it will probably draw one in the last minute.

(I say probably because I've passed on one or two in blowouts where I was in "get done, get out" mode.)
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:37pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
..... you mention that this guy is a high school official of some merit in your state. I doubt if he was going to take much crap off an 8th grade coach.
Not sure what this means. A high school official of some merit who happens to be calling an 8th grade game is, at the moment, an 8th grade official. I don't see why he should take any more or any less crap than any other 8th grade official.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with your partner on holding up play until the confusion is sorted out. Just as I'm not going to put the ball in play with either team having only 4 players or 6 players on the court, I'm not putting the ball in play when a team gets turned around during a time-out.

I consider this basic preventative officiating.

Now if I've pointed and called the color a few times and they still don't want to come to play, that's up to them, but I'm going to make sure I've communicated the information to them.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

I am saying that if you interject yourself into the coaching arena, by coming on the court and stopping play, moving Team B players while they are directly in front of their coach, Team A coach should have the right to ask you what you are doing. The coach's exact words were, "What are you doing? The ball is ready for play...?" And again, I was clearly pointing and the Team B coach was loking right at me.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am saying that if you interject yourself into the coaching arena, by coming on the court and stopping play, moving Team B players while they are directly in front of their coach, Team A coach should have the right to ask you what you are doing. The coach's exact words were, "What are you doing? The ball is ready for play...?" And again, I was clearly pointing and the Team B coach was loking right at me.
Holding the ball from play until the teams are ready after a time-out is not interjecting yourself into the coaching arena. It's actually part of our job. From your description, your partner did not stop play; he prevented play from being started. This is an important distinction. Finally, I don't have an issue with the coach asking what I'm doing provided he's civil in doing so. The answer he is also easy "No, coach the ball is not ready for play."
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 02:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Not sure what this means. A high school official of some merit who happens to be calling an 8th grade game is, at the moment, an 8th grade official. I don't see why he should take any more or any less crap than any other 8th grade official.
Because he has more experience and is more likely to call a technical foul when bad behavior happens than a guy with less experience. Look at the post by the OP for example -- he thinks it's terrible that the experienced partner (who sounds like he works some decent HS varsity games) called a T "in that situation." I think that the OP would be better served here saying, "You know, he has a lot more experience than I do. Perhaps I could learn from him."

My line doesn't adjust when I work a youth game. It may be different than the line drawn by all the other officials this guy will see, but I fail to see how this is my problem. For the most part, the rare time I fill in at this level I get along great with the coaches. I listen, answer questions, and leave no doubt where that line is.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
As a general rule, HS V officials have a better definition of "their line" than do 8th grade officials, and the line is also more toward the side of taking less.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 02:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
"What are you doing? The ball is ready for play...?"
It's not "ready for play" until ALL officials are ready.

You can't put it in play until I bring my hand down. If you try to, I'll blow my whistle and make you wait until I'm ready.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 02:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
As a general rule, HS V officials have a better definition of "their line" than do 8th grade officials, and the line is also more toward the side of taking less.
You said what I said better and in fewer words, too.