The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   inbounds delay (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/61508-inbounds-delay.html)

jophyal Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:15pm

inbounds delay

8A District Tournament/Championship Game... Two Man Mechanics and I am L inbounding at endline with :47 seconds left. Team B is up by 3 and Team A is inbounding. I look to my partner to make sure he is ready and he hits his whistle and gives me a wait sign. Team B was first out of huddle and was lined up in backcourt. He informed them that we were inbounding ball and allows them time to come to frontcourt. Coach A is furious and starts yelling and my partner "T's" him up. Greatly affected game... Thoughts.

mbyron Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:22pm

Get teams out of the time-out on time, and put the ball in play properly. If the defense is slow to set up, too bad. If they come out on time and get set in a timely fashion, I'll wait a second or two.

bainsey Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jophyal (Post 724197)
He informed them...

Clarity, please. Who's he and who's them? Are you saying B-1 informed A-2 (or something like that) that it's Team B's ball, to delay Team A?

RobbyinTN Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:27pm

Rookie partner ?????

jophyal Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:28pm

Team A was inbounding and my partner stopped game and allowed defensive team to change sides. I could not inbound to Team A while partner was out on court with hand up waving Team B to correct side of court. Hope that clears up the mud...

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jophyal (Post 724197)
8A District Tournament/Championship Game... Two Man Mechanics and I am L inbounding at endline with :47 seconds left. Team B is up by 3 and Team A is inbounding. I look to my partner to make sure he is ready and he hits his whistle and gives me a wait sign. Team B was first out of huddle and was lined up in backcourt. He informed them that we were inbounding ball and allows them time to come to frontcourt. Coach A is furious and starts yelling and my partner "T's" him up. Greatly affected game... Thoughts.

As the non-administering official, I wouldn't have said jack, let alone stop the game. (Unless asked of course.)

As the administering official, I always signal direction and team very clearly so that there is no defense to bad defense.

jophyal Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:29pm

no rookie, 15 year Division I guy.

jophyal Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:49pm

I was standing at endline hollering "White", "Spot"... coach and team clearly heard me and just set defense up on wrong side. I had ball in hand and arm in the air to chop clock. Partner did not want to have the game come down to a mistake, which it did... OURS.

Rich Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jophyal (Post 724214)
I was standing at endline hollering "White", "Spot"... coach and team clearly heard me and just set defense up on wrong side. I had ball in hand and arm in the air to chop clock. Partner did not want to have the game come down to a mistake, which it did... OURS.

Really? I don't see it as such a big deal.

Did you point the direction when you called out "White"?

jdw3018 Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:53pm

Quote:

If I read this right, it's an 8th grade game, right? Just asking for context purposes.

There are times when there is legitimate confusion and I have no problem holding up play to get players going the right direction. There are also times when it's okay to proceed.

Unless I've talked to my partner about how B can't get it right and the coach isn't helping things, I've got no problem if he decides to hold things up for a second coming out of a timeout to make sure everything is clear.

jophyal Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:55pm

yes I pointed and the 8th grade game was 75-72 at the time. Two good teams and both experienced enough to know procedure.

Adam Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:57pm

Quote:

Not really. I've got no problem with either solution, frankly; and coach for A needs to take some perspective pills.

Rich Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jophyal (Post 724218)
yes I pointed and the 8th grade game was 75-72 at the time. Two good teams and both experienced enough to know procedure.

Repeat yourself. EIGHTH grade. The coaches need perspective (I guess it's OK to win anyway possible instead of beating the other team playing its best) and if I'm working this game there's no way I'm putting the ball in play with a team lining up on the wrong side of the court. Good for your partner.

Are you saying that a Division I college official is working 8th grade games?

jophyal Mon Jan 31, 2011 01:00pm

Thanks for the replies. I just felt like my partner stopped Team A from the basket, unsporting as it was, and had a quick trigger on T. Changed score by 3 to five and gave B the ball.

Adam Mon Jan 31, 2011 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jophyal (Post 724223)
Thanks for the replies. I just felt like my partner stopped Team A from the basket, unsporting as it was, and had a quick trigger on T. Changed score by 3 to five and gave B the ball.

By your own words, the coach was yelling at your partner. Easy T in an 8th grade game, regardless of the situation.

If a coach is yelling at me, the only appropriate words are "time out."