The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 02:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophyal View Post
The coach's exact words were, "What are you doing? The ball is ready for play...?" And again, I was clearly pointing and the Team B coach was loking right at me.
Um, I hate to tell you but the ball wasn't ready for play. it wasn't ready for play because your partner wasn't ready to have the ball put into play. And an administering official does not put the ball into play because a coach ....any coach...tells him to if his partner isn't ready.

This may have been a competititive or even (gasp) an elite 8th grade game.....but.....it's a freaking 8th grade game. Save the philosophical discussions for after the game and have them with your partner. That's the time to work them out, not during an 8th grade game. And if you can't agree and it's still bothering you, get further direction from your association.

JMGO.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 02:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I am saying that if you interject yourself into the coaching arena, by coming on the court and stopping play, moving Team B players while they are directly in front of their coach, Team A coach should have the right to ask you what you are doing. The coach's exact words were, "What are you doing? The ball is ready for play...?" And again, I was clearly pointing and the Team B coach was loking right at me.
I'm sorry, but you said he was yelling. As I said, if he's yelling at me, the only words that won't draw a T are "time out." Even then, it better be a loud gym.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 03:24pm
Archaic Power Monger

Just for clarification, when he says "Division I", he is more than likely referring to how we rank officials here in Texas. In basketball, there are 5 divisions of officials, with Division 5 being the new officials and Division 1 being the most experienced.

And, FWIW, I'm with the senior official on this.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

wow rich msn... i never said it was terrible. however, i was trying to offer a post for commentary. i will try to refrain from pi$$ing you regulars off. i was looking for some experienced wisdom. i DID and always talk to my partner. i do this pre game and post game. my partner is the one that thought he kicked the handling. I will try to be as exact with posts/replies. i am only trying to learn.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 04:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
wow rich msn... i never said it was terrible. however, i was trying to offer a post for commentary. i will try to refrain from pi$$ing you regulars off. i was looking for some experienced wisdom. i DID and always talk to my partner. i do this pre game and post game. my partner is the one that thought he kicked the handling. I will try to be as exact with posts/replies. i am only trying to learn.
Relax, take a deep breath. You've offered a post for commentary, but the part you left out was your partner's second thoughts. No one here was pissed, but the general opinion here is
1) If your partner chose to delay play, no big deal.
2) The coach "yelling" at him is an easy T.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

i dig that, but to assume i thought it was "terrible" and insinuate jealousy is absurd. I may only be a D3 in basketball but I am a D1 in football and have enough experience in baseball not to feel that way. i guess i need to post more thorough in OP. i will take the advice and work on it.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 04:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
i dig that, but to assume i thought it was "terrible" and insinuate jealousy is absurd. I may only be a D3 in basketball but I am a D1 in football and have enough experience in baseball not to feel that way. i guess i need to post more thorough in OP. i will take the advice and work on it.
I missed the insinuation of jealousy. I wouldn't get hung up on the semantics of Rich's paraphrase. You are the one who claimed your partner injected himself into the game. It's a reasonable assumption to think you felt it was terrible.

Last edited by Adam; Mon Jan 31, 2011 at 04:38pm.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I missed the insinuation of jealousy. I wouldn't get hung up on the semantics of Rich's paraphrase. You are the one who claimed your partner injected himself into the game. It's a reasonable assumption to think you felt it was terrible.
Agreed.

The OP said that the game came down to the officiating crews mistake. I think that's an ABSURD point of view to take in this sitution, especially as an official.

It does not matter that you were standing at the spot yelling white. These are 13-14 year old kids who could have gotten easily confused in a pressure situation. If I'm your partner here, I would have held my hand up too. Why would you put the ball in play unless there was clearly some sort of gamesmanship/advantage the other team was getting by going to the wrong end of the floor?

As for the "T" I think that's a HTBT situation. But if you said the coach was "yelling" then I'm inclined to trust your partner's judgement.