The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

inbounds delay

8A District Tournament/Championship Game... Two Man Mechanics and I am L inbounding at endline with :47 seconds left. Team B is up by 3 and Team A is inbounding. I look to my partner to make sure he is ready and he hits his whistle and gives me a wait sign. Team B was first out of huddle and was lined up in backcourt. He informed them that we were inbounding ball and allows them time to come to frontcourt. Coach A is furious and starts yelling and my partner "T's" him up. Greatly affected game... Thoughts.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Get teams out of the time-out on time, and put the ball in play properly. If the defense is slow to set up, too bad. If they come out on time and get set in a timely fashion, I'll wait a second or two.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:23pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophyal View Post
He informed them...
Clarity, please. Who's he and who's them? Are you saying B-1 informed A-2 (or something like that) that it's Team B's ball, to delay Team A?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Rookie partner ?????
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Team A was inbounding and my partner stopped game and allowed defensive team to change sides. I could not inbound to Team A while partner was out on court with hand up waving Team B to correct side of court. Hope that clears up the mud...
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:29pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
8A District Tournament/Championship Game... Two Man Mechanics and I am L inbounding at endline with :47 seconds left. Team B is up by 3 and Team A is inbounding. I look to my partner to make sure he is ready and he hits his whistle and gives me a wait sign. Team B was first out of huddle and was lined up in backcourt. He informed them that we were inbounding ball and allows them time to come to frontcourt. Coach A is furious and starts yelling and my partner "T's" him up. Greatly affected game... Thoughts.
As the non-administering official, I wouldn't have said jack, let alone stop the game. (Unless asked of course.)

As the administering official, I always signal direction and team very clearly so that there is no defense to bad defense.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

no rookie, 15 year Division I guy.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I was standing at endline hollering "White", "Spot"... coach and team clearly heard me and just set defense up on wrong side. I had ball in hand and arm in the air to chop clock. Partner did not want to have the game come down to a mistake, which it did... OURS.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I was standing at endline hollering "White", "Spot"... coach and team clearly heard me and just set defense up on wrong side. I had ball in hand and arm in the air to chop clock. Partner did not want to have the game come down to a mistake, which it did... OURS.
Really? I don't see it as such a big deal.

Did you point the direction when you called out "White"?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I read this right, it's an 8th grade game, right? Just asking for context purposes.

There are times when there is legitimate confusion and I have no problem holding up play to get players going the right direction. There are also times when it's okay to proceed.

Unless I've talked to my partner about how B can't get it right and the coach isn't helping things, I've got no problem if he decides to hold things up for a second coming out of a timeout to make sure everything is clear.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

yes I pointed and the 8th grade game was 75-72 at the time. Two good teams and both experienced enough to know procedure.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Not really. I've got no problem with either solution, frankly; and coach for A needs to take some perspective pills.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 12:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
yes I pointed and the 8th grade game was 75-72 at the time. Two good teams and both experienced enough to know procedure.
Repeat yourself. EIGHTH grade. The coaches need perspective (I guess it's OK to win anyway possible instead of beating the other team playing its best) and if I'm working this game there's no way I'm putting the ball in play with a team lining up on the wrong side of the court. Good for your partner.

Are you saying that a Division I college official is working 8th grade games?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. I just felt like my partner stopped Team A from the basket, unsporting as it was, and had a quick trigger on T. Changed score by 3 to five and gave B the ball.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I just felt like my partner stopped Team A from the basket, unsporting as it was, and had a quick trigger on T. Changed score by 3 to five and gave B the ball.
By your own words, the coach was yelling at your partner. Easy T in an 8th grade game, regardless of the situation.

If a coach is yelling at me, the only appropriate words are "time out."