The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 02:28am

Exception to 3-3-1-a?

I had a first tonight. Time out is over and a girl comes to the table and checks in. She starts to come onto the floor and I stop and tell her she has to wait because she checked in after the first horn. Her coach then comes up and informs me that she needs to go in because the player she is replacing is having, how can I put this delicately, girl problems. Well, that's just great. After a brief discussion I decided I'd allow it but not before I went and told the other coach. So I got to do that too. She was understanding and I figured that the coach probably wouldn't make that particular story up just to get a player in a game. But by the time all that was over the original player was ready to go so she came onto the floor and she played. I guess I missed the training class where they discussed these things because it was a new one on me.

Last edited by sj; Sat Jan 29, 2011 at 02:31am.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 05:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj View Post
I had a first tonight. Time out is over and a girl comes to the table and checks in. She starts to come onto the floor and I stop and tell her she has to wait because she checked in after the first horn. Her coach then comes up and informs me that she needs to go in because the player she is replacing is having, how can I put this delicately, girl problems. Well, that's just great. After a brief discussion I decided I'd allow it but not before I went and told the other coach. So I got to do that too. She was understanding and I figured that the coach probably wouldn't make that particular story up just to get a player in a game. But by the time all that was over the original player was ready to go so she came onto the floor and she played. I guess I missed the training class where they discussed these things because it was a new one on me.
I guess you could call that an injury or illness but someone is sure to take offense to that. Regardless, treat it the same, let the player be replaced. However, once she was replaced, even if you had not yet put the ball back in play, she was no longer eligible to return until the next whistle after the clock had run.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 09:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I wouldn't have informed the other coach. If she asked about the exception, just say it was an injury replacement.
Camron's right (of course) about not letting her back in until the clock runs.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2011, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaqwells View Post
i wouldn't have informed the other coach. If she asked about the exception, just say it was an injury replacement.
Camron's right (of course) about not letting her back in until the clock runs.
+1
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But by the time all that was over the original player was ready to go so she came onto the floor and she played.
If she was subbed for, she can't re-enter until the clock runs.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2011, 09:23pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
"Girl problems" are a "medical issue" that trumps any rule on substitution at any time in any game, imho. Even if they want to lie about said problems.

Bring in the new sub, nqa. Informing the opposing coach of the substitution due to medical reasons is the right thing to do: good job.

Why the original girl was ready after a short period of time, who knows. But she has to sit a tick.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
"Girl problems" are a "medical issue" that trumps any rule on substitution at any time in any game, imho. Even if they want to lie about said problems.

Bring in the new sub, nqa. Informing the opposing coach of the substitution due to medical reasons is the right thing to do: good job.

Why the original girl was ready after a short period of time, who knows. But she has to sit a tick.
nice
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I guess you could call that an injury or illness but someone is sure to take offense to that. Regardless, treat it the same, let the player be replaced. However, once she was replaced, even if you had not yet put the ball back in play, she was no longer eligible to return until the next whistle after the clock had run.
Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible, I'm not seeing why the clock would have to run before the first player could come back in. The sub was never beckoned, never came on the floor and the ball never became live. The player was never replaced. All the sub had done was check in and essentially was always at the table waiting to come in at the first legal opportunity.

Last edited by sj; Mon Jan 31, 2011 at 01:35pm.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible, I'm not seeing why the clock would have to run before the first player could come back in. The sub was never beckoned, never came on the floor and the ball never became live. The player was never replaced. All the sub had done was check in and essentially was always at the table waiting to come in at the first legal opportunity.
Once a sub is removed from the game they cannot come back in until they the clock has run. So if this was a FT for example, the player would have to sit until the clock has run a tick.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can see how you intended that, but that wasn't clear from your initial post.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're missing that the sub was allowed in immediately since the substituted player had a "medical condition" that required immediate substitution. So the sub was beckoned making the substituted player ineligible until the clock had run.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 02:20pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
the player she is replacing is having, how can I put this delicately, girl problems.

After a brief discussion
What in the world was there to discuss???

Coach says she is having "female issues", then the sub is in and away we go.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 03:15pm

For rules purposes there was no need for a discussion. It was just small talk. I think I said something like that this was a new one on me. With the coach saying that he understood. And then me saying well let me go tell the other coach what's going on. The other coach was already heading our way wondering what was going on so I figured she needed an explanation sooner or later. By the time the conversation with the other coach (maybe 30 seconds) was done the original girl was good to go. So because at this point in the episode there was no longer a medical reason for allowing the substitution to take place I didn't allow it to take place. In my mind the situation had resolved itself. Listening to my brain might be the problem but none the less. Respectfully.

Last edited by sj; Mon Jan 31, 2011 at 03:27pm.