The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA question

I am new to the site and new to college officiating.

Looking for input on the following situation, it is a casebook play (A.R.77)

Bonus is in effect; and while the ball is in flight during a try for goal, A1 charges into B1, which is Team A's 7th foul in the half. Then, there is BI by

1) B2 or ...

I am only interested in part 1) of the ruling

It seems to me that since the foul on A1 occurs after the ball has been released this is no longer a PC foul. The BI by B2 results in 2 points for A. Now, here is where I am unclear: The ruling states that B1 is going to shoot 1 and 1. Is the foul by A1 a team control foul? Or is B1 shooting FT's because there is no team control on the shot, even though A1 is an airborne shooter?

It is my understanding that we wouldn't shoot FT's on rebounding, so how is it that FT's are shot?
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 04:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post

Bonus is in effect; and while the ball is in flight during a try for goal, A1 charges into B1, which is Team A's 7th foul in the half. Then, there is BI by

1) B2 or ...

It seems to me that since the foul on A1 occurs after the ball has been released this is no longer a PC foul. The BI by B2 results in 2 points for A. Now, here is where I am unclear: The ruling states that B1 is going to shoot 1 and 1. Is the foul by A1 a team control foul? Or is B1 shooting FT's because there is no team control on the shot, even though A1 is an airborne shooter?

It is my understanding that we wouldn't shoot FT's on rebounding, so how is it that FT's are shot?
Your question is answered by finding out when team control ends.

My follow up question: why wouldn't you shoot free throws on a rebounding foul if you're in the bonus?
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1) B2 or ...

Is the foul by A1 a team control foul? No. Team control ends on the release of the try.

Or is B1 shooting FT's because there is no team control on the shot, even though A1 is an airborne shooter? Correct. The NCAA Men's side does not consider an airborne shooter to be in player control. The rule is different from NFHS and the NCAA Women's side.

It is my understanding that we wouldn't shoot FT's on rebounding, so how is it that FT's are shot? You are incorrect about not shooting on rebounding. FTs would be awarded for a foul during a rebound as there is no team control. Recall that team control ended with the try for goal and it has not been reestablished yet during the rebounding action.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 04:48pm
In Memoriam

Player and team control ended when the ball left A1's hands on the shot.

NCAA rules are different than NFHS rules in that the airborne shooter(A1) cannot be called for a player control foul after the ball has left his hands, while under NFHS rules A1 can be called for a PC foul until one foot touches the court again after being airborne.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2010, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

even though A1 is an airborne shooter?

JR, Nevada,

Where in the sitch does it indicate an airborne shooter? Since A1 was not fouled, it does not matter in the sitch as the ball has left the shooters hand, correct?
(It also does not say that A1 was not airborne)
Old Fri Jul 02, 2010, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
Where in the sitch does it indicate an airborne shooter?
It doesn't. But, if A1 had returned to the ground, then the ruling is the same in all codes (B shoots bonus FTs), and the OP (likely) wouldn't be confused.

So, the logical (but not definitive) assumption is that A1 is airborne.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2010, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I know it is confusing, but the NCAA diffentiates a Charge vs. Player control foul...

A charge refers to the situation where there is a release and crash. The player control refers to when there is contact before the release.

I was really confused by the plays in the casebook and this terminology. The rules folks should probably look at the word choice and make it clearer.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2010, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
I know it is confusing, but the NCAA diffentiates a Charge vs. Player control foul...
It's not confusing, just different. And it's NCAA-M, not all NCAA.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2010, 12:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

A charge refers to the situation where there is a release and crash. The player control refers to when there is contact before the release.

I was really confused by the plays in the casebook and this terminology. The rules folks should probably look at the word choice and make it clearer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
It's not confusing, just different. And it's NCAA-M, not all NCAA.
To be even more precise, "charges" cover only a portion of PC fouls, and PC fouls only cover a portion of "charging" fouls. The terms "charge" and "player control" are not interchangeable.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2010, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
To be even more precise, "charges" cover only a portion of PC fouls, and PC fouls only cover a portion of "charging" fouls. The terms "charge" and "player control" are not interchangeable.
No... there is no player control on a release and then a crash. This is what the NCAA men's casebook refers to as a Charge.

It is really confusing.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2010, 04:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
No... there is no player control on a release and then a crash. This is what the NCAA men's casebook refers to as a Charge.

It is really confusing.
True, but slightly off my point.
A charge does not require player control, it doesn't even require the player ever had the ball or be on offense. Example: A2 sets a screen and B1 plows through it. This is a charging foul.

Some rebounding fouls are also charges.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2010, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Has anyone ever heard someone call a player running through a screen a charge? I'm not buying.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2010, 09:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Has anyone ever heard someone call a player running through a screen a charge? I'm not buying.
10-6-1
Signal's the same as push, though, so you'd never know with most officials.
Old Sat Jul 03, 2010, 05:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Me.
Old Sat Jul 03, 2010, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, unless you're (mistakenly) equating "charge" with "PC foul"