The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 11:18am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Mullica Hill, NJ
Posts: 798
NCAA Rule change? - Question #57 NCAA Test

Me and a colleague have went back and forth about a ruling for this year's NCAA test. There have been so many versions of the new rules posted I have no idea where they really landed on this stuff.

#57 - 3rd & 22 at @'s 10. Team A running back muffs a handoff from QB on A's 8. A Team B defender deliverately kicks the loose ball on A's 6. Team A QB recovers on A's 3 and is downed on A's 19.

A - A 3/7 @ A 25
B - A 1 / 10 @ A 34
C - A 3/ 11 @ A 21

I answered A because of a Rom Gilbert ruling that was recently posted. Here is Rom's question:

1. PLAY: First and 15 on A's 25. A14 takes the snap, runs toward the sideline, is hit and fumbles on A's 24. While the ball is loose, B99 grabs and holds A66 to keep A66 from recovering the ball. A88 picks up the ball on A's 22 and runs to A's 34 where he is downed in bounds.

1. RULING: A 1/5 A35. This is a significant rule change. The foul occurred during the first running play so will be enforced from the previous spot, A' s 25. If the foul occurred after A88 recovered the fumble, the penalty would be enforced from the end of A88's run, A's 34. It is crucial that the calling official know when the foul occurred. When asked when the foul occurred by the referee, "when would you have liked it to have occurred" is not an acceptable answer.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 12:02pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,557
Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
#57 - 3rd & 22 at @'s 10. Team A running back muffs a handoff from QB on A's 8. A Team B defender deliverately kicks the loose ball on A's 6. Team A QB recovers on A's 3 and is downed on A's 19.

A - A 3/7 @ A 25
B - A 1 / 10 @ A 34
C - A 3/ 11 @ A 21
CANADIAN RULING:

Team B's deliberate kick (called a dribbled ball) broke the continuity of downs. Results: A 1D/10 @ A-19.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
1. PLAY: First and 15 on A's 25. A14 takes the snap, runs toward the sideline, is hit and fumbles on A's 24. While the ball is loose, B99 grabs and holds A66 to keep A66 from recovering the ball. A88 picks up the ball on A's 22 and runs to A's 34 where he is downed in bounds.
CANADIAN RULING:

B99 is guilty of Loose Ball Interference. Up here we don't take that foul lightly. Penalty is AFD to non-offending team at PF. A's choice:
  • decline the LBI, giving Team A 2D/6 @ A-34
  • accept the LBI, giving Team A 1D/10 @ point of B99's hold (unclear from the situation)
__________________
Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jun 04, 2008, 10:21am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 48
Send a message via MSN to ML99 Send a message via Skype™ to ML99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
If the foul occurred after A88 recovered the fumble, the penalty would be enforced from the end of A88's run, A's 34. ...
can someone explain to me why the penalty has to be enforced from the end of A88's run. which rule is associated with that? (NCAA)

ML99

Last edited by ML99; Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 07:15am.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NCAA Rule Change Canfootball52 Football 6 Tue Aug 21, 2007 08:25am
Help on NCAA rule change Jesse James Basketball 1 Wed Aug 30, 2006 06:27am
Question on ncaa test jritchie Basketball 2 Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:45am
NCAA Men's Rule change and mechanics questions ref0909 Basketball 6 Sun Jul 13, 2003 04:43am
NCAA Rule Change bob jenkins Basketball 1 Thu Dec 28, 2000 07:20pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1