The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Angry Coach at Halftime

The recent thread on coaches being in the officials' dressing room jogged the following from my memory bank...

Halftime, HS boys V, my 2 partners and I are in our dressing room, the coaches office. As at most schools, it is adjacent to the locker room and the home team coach is railing at his kids who trailed at half. Among the loudest and longest of his many very loud, obscenity-laced "comments" was a diatribe regarding what he, in short, considered to be our poor, biased officiating in the 1st half and how his boys couldn't really expect to compete in an "8 vs 5" game. He obviously aimed these comments at us in the next room with its paper-thin walls. This was in my 2nd year of calling HS games and I wanted to T him up for his "commentary". My partners, who had been calling in this area for years, just laughed and said don't worry about it, its halftime and he's in his locker room outside our jurisdiction, or words to that affect. I really don't recall how the 2nd half went or who won the game.

What would you do in a similar situation? I still haven't completely resolved this one in my mind...