The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 09:45pm
Administrator

NevadaRef has quoted a NFHS Casebook Play that deals specifically with certain electronic equipment whose use is specifically prohibited by rule. As much as much as we would like to apply this Casebook Play to the situation in the OP we cannot because it does not apply.

One could rely on the NCAA's position that if a Head Coach's inappropriate language can be heard outside of the huddle during a timeout, the game officials should penalize the Head Coach. But, I seriously doubt that the NCAA's position could be applied to the same situation in the OP if the game was played using NCAA Rules.

I have no doubt that the Head Coach knew that the game officials could hear his diatribe and that his diatribe was deliberately directed toward the game officials because of that fact. BUT, more experienced game officials were correct in not giving the Head Coach at TF under these circumstances. BESIDES, once the second half started, I am sure that, without baiting the HC, the officiating crew would have a zero tolerance,, for either coach stepping out of the coaching box.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 10:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89 View Post
What would you do in a similar situation? I still haven't completely resolved this one in my mind...
I would just write a "Special Report" about the incident after the game. The Special Report (same form used for all ejections) in our state is something the Principal receives as well as the AD automatically (filed online). I would rather put this in the file so that the IHSA knows about it and the school administrators know about it. The IHSA will deal with the situation without my knowledge and either direct the school to move the officials to a better location or consider this behavior when other situations come up with this coach (which you may or may not be involved in). All Special Report filings must be given a response to the IHSA Office by the person being written about. In other words, depending on the administration that hires the coach, the coach might not have a job or at the very least get suspended based on this situation and other incidents that you know nothing about. And the use of language would be the main reason this might result in some sanction.

I do not see how this necessarily falls under the rules when the action is more logistical than a clear violation of unsportsmanlike behavior. Not to say that is not an option, but for me not the best option in my opinion.

Then in the second half, the coach better be on their best behavior, because they would not get the benefit of the doubt when complaining about calls or other things going on the court.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would just write a "Special Report" about the incident after the game. The Special Report (same form used for all ejections) in our state is something the Principal receives as well as the AD automatically (filed online). I would rather put this in the file so that the IHSA knows about it and the school administrators know about it. The IHSA will deal with the situation without my knowledge and either direct the school to move the officials to a better location or consider this behavior when other situations come up with this coach (which you may or may not be involved in). All Special Report filings must be given a response to the IHSA Office by the person being written about. In other words, depending on the administration that hires the coach, the coach might not have a job or at the very least get suspended based on this situation and other incidents that you know nothing about. And the use of language would be the main reason this might result in some sanction.

I do not see how this necessarily falls under the rules when the action is more logistical than a clear violation of unsportsmanlike behavior. Not to say that is not an option, but for me not the best option in my opinion.

Then in the second half, the coach better be on their best behavior, because they would not get the benefit of the doubt when complaining about calls or other things going on the court.

Peace
Leave it to Mr Rutledge and Mr. DeNucci to have the right handle on the situation. I would certainly be uncomfortable issuing a T for behvior that was neither directed at the crew nor on the court but instead "heard through the wall". A special report to the state seems like the right move IMHO.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 10:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Thinking about it some more, I would probably just leave the room and find some place to hang out for 5 minutes. Get some water, use the rest room, etc. And then file a report afterwards.

Or maybe just get the AD and have him listen in on the rant live and in person.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Thinking about it some more, I would probably just leave the room and find some place to hang out for 5 minutes. Get some water, use the rest room, etc. And then file a report afterwards.

Or maybe just get the AD and have him listen in on the rant live and in person.
BINGO...Contact game management and find a better spot to be for the rest of the evening

-Josh
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Tough time backing this one up

I have to go with Rut and Mark here.
your juristicion does not include the teams lockeroom - despite Nevada's post about using electronic media - that applies to the use of electronic media for coaching purposes specifically.
The Rant by a player or coach in a passage way was directed toward an offical, and there by punnishable.

While you "know" the comment was directed at/to you, you can not make a strong enough case IMO to justify the T. What if it is the visiting coach and he doesn't know the place has thin wall or that you are next door?

Handle it through the proper channels by filing a report - and in the second half if the coach opens his mouth in anyway that would reenforce those comments, let him have it.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

IMHO, you could go either way on this. There is ample justification for a T to start the second half. The comments were obviously directed at the officials, and the punishment would fit the crime.

However, I can also understand the reluctance to go that route. And it shouldn't be too difficult to find a suitably insignificant reason to award the idiot his T in the second half. If the coach wants to make an issue of it, let him know that if you have to file a report due to his ejection, there will be a very detailed recounting of the halftime diatribe.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 11:02am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
Leave it to Mr Rutledge and Mr. DeNucci to have the right handle on the situation.
Agreed...but now NevadaRef is going to come along and tell them they are cowards also. This could get interesting!!
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 11:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
IMHO, you could go either way on this. There is ample justification for a T to start the second half. The comments were obviously directed at the officials, and the punishment would fit the crime.

However, I can also understand the reluctance to go that route. And it shouldn't be too difficult to find a suitably insignificant reason to award the idiot his T in the second half. If the coach wants to make an issue of it, let him know that if you have to file a report due to his ejection, there will be a very detailed recounting of the halftime diatribe.
I might go this route, and here, we have to file a report on any T.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 11:15am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

A coach yelling at ˝time might go on about the bad calls. That's just a difference of opinion.

But if s/he is yelling so much that people outside the change room can hear, such as fans, administrators, and especially the other team, etc, and the coach is going on about the refs are cheating or how they are homer refs, not calling a T is not doing your job.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 11:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

I do like the idea of getting the game manager (especially if this is the AD) and telling him/her that this is the reason we'll be starting the second half with free throws and let him/her listen to the coach's rant.

One of my only two ejections in over 20 years was during my 5th or 6th year working a JV boys game. Coach got whacked in the first half and came after me in the hall during halftime. I told him that he was ejected and if I so much as saw him on the floor we would forfeit the game to the other team. He didn't return, but I wish it would've happened in front of some other people besides me and my partner.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89 View Post
...but boy, this one sure sticks with me.
This may stick with you and you only, but if you had called a T, you would have had that tag with you for the rest of your refereeing career. " Here is the ref who puts his ear next to the locker room wall and if he hears one bad thing about the officiating, he T's them."

Even if this was not the case at all, thats what the story would be.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 11:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
This may stick with you and you only, but if you had called a T, you would have had that tag with you for the rest of your refereeing career. " Here is the ref who puts his ear next to the locker room wall and if he hears one bad thing about the officiating, he T's them."

Even if this was not the case at all, thats what the story would be.
There's quite a bit of truth to this, I'm afraid. It's impossible for us to control the impression this gives because there's no witnesses.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I wish it would've happened in front of some other people besides me and my partner.
My partners word is good enough for me. I'd rather not have a lot of people who might have bias around it makes it simpler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
But if s/he is yelling so much that people outside the change room can hear, such as fans, administrators, and especially the other team, etc, and the coach is going on about the refs are cheating or how they are homer refs, not calling a T is not doing your job.
Everyone is saying deal with it, but in different ways.
I personally am going to let a coach rant and rave in their locker room all they want, if other people hear them they can complain.
I may fill out a report as to what the coach said etc, I may try to get an administrator but the odds are that it will be too late, if I hear it walking by or through the walls. But that is their locker room and if they want to act the fool - fine. Having said that - the coaches best course of action in the second half is to have a seat and coach the team, because they are at the end of the leash at that point. If I am filling out paperwork already - another paragraph or two about this idiot is no big deal.

I do not find anything that says I can go get a coach for what they say in their locker room in the rules or case plays.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 11:44am
Huck Finn

It seems like some people are changing their opinions back and forth. Isn't it great to hear different points of view?

I wouldn't give the coach a T for this, but that coach would act like an angel for the rest of the game. We know they say these kinds of things all the time. Since I assume this sort of thing goes on all the time I would just do a report and be done with it. Coaches, at least while working in the coach capacity, are not our friends and don't necessarily care of for us at all. Part of the job.