The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Angry Coach at Halftime

The recent thread on coaches being in the officials' dressing room jogged the following from my memory bank...

Halftime, HS boys V, my 2 partners and I are in our dressing room, the coaches office. As at most schools, it is adjacent to the locker room and the home team coach is railing at his kids who trailed at half. Among the loudest and longest of his many very loud, obscenity-laced "comments" was a diatribe regarding what he, in short, considered to be our poor, biased officiating in the 1st half and how his boys couldn't really expect to compete in an "8 vs 5" game. He obviously aimed these comments at us in the next room with its paper-thin walls. This was in my 2nd year of calling HS games and I wanted to T him up for his "commentary". My partners, who had been calling in this area for years, just laughed and said don't worry about it, its halftime and he's in his locker room outside our jurisdiction, or words to that affect. I really don't recall how the 2nd half went or who won the game.

What would you do in a similar situation? I still haven't completely resolved this one in my mind...
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

That coach can stay in his lockerroom for the 2nd half.

When a coach directly attacks your personal integrity that conduct warrants a flagrant technical foul. This is HS athletics and the wrong message cannot be allowed to be transmitted to the kids.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 04:58pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

There is nothing that puts our jurisdiction on hold between when we arrive on the floor and when we leave the visual confines of the playing area.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 04:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89 View Post
...its halftime and he's in his locker room outside our jurisdiction, or words to that affect...
That was not a good reason on your partner's part. I guess your partner would have the let the coach directly cuss him out b/c they were away from the court?
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 05:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Since you could hear the coach through the walls, obviously, he could also hear you. Why didn't you say, very loud, "Hey, how about that idiot coach! The way he's running his team is a joke. This guy is the worst I've ever seen. If his team really wants to win this game, they'll all come out of the locker room and dunk during warmups so we can throw the jerk out and the assistant would take over."
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Don't go looking for "T"rouble.

I concur with your partners on this one..... It is the coach's lockerroom, as sad as his commentary is, as much as you want to call attention to this idiot's ranting, let it go. He is already "penalizing" the team by creating excuses for his inability to coach.

If he wants to carry this attitude into the second half, you can find ways to address his disrespect on the court in public view.
Depending on whether you care to work there again, you can submit a letter to the AD (as I have in the past) as to what you observed, but it sounds like your partners would not be supportive of this action.

Last edited by williebfree; Sun Dec 28, 2008 at 05:23pm. Reason: Grammer correction & additional comments
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My partners, who had been calling in this area for years, just laughed and said don't worry about it, its halftime and he's in his locker room outside our jurisdiction, or words to that affect.
So your partners wouldn't enforce this rule either...

10.1.3 SITUATION B:
The home team: (a) has a television monitor in the press
box or the dressing room and is relaying information to the player’s bench; or (b)
uses a replay of the first half during the intermission for use by the coach in
preparation for the second half.
RULING: Illegal in both (a) and (b). A technical
foul is charged to the home team in both cases. The prohibition does not affect
the filming, televising or taping of a game if it is not used for coaching purposes
during that particular game.

Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williebfree View Post
I concur with your partners on this one..... It is EASY TO BE A COWARD.
Fixed it for ya.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
That was not a good reason on your partner's part. I guess your partner would have the let the coach directly cuss him out b/c they were away from the court?
10.4.1 SITUATION B:
At halftime, as the teams, coaches, and officials are
making their way through a hallway to the dressing room, a Team A member verbally
abuses one of the officials.
RULING: A technical foul is charged to the team
member and is also charged indirectly to the head coach. During intermission all
team members are bench personnel and are penalized accordingly. If the conduct
is flagrant, the team member shall be disqualified. The third quarter will begin
with two Team B free throws and the ball awarded at half court. The alternating possession arrow is unaffected. Team A will also have one foul toward the team foul count. (10-4-1a)

Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 05:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I concur with your partners on this one..... It is the coach's lockerroom, as sad as his commentary is, as much as you want to call attention to this idiot's ranting, let it go. He is already "penalizing" the team by creating excuses for his inability to coach.

If he wants to carry this attitude into the second half, you can find ways to address his disrespect on the court in public view.
Depending on whether you care to work there again, you can submit a letter to the AD (as I have in the past) as to what you observed, but it sounds like your partners would not be supportive of this action.
Is this a long way of saying that this should be a flagrant technical? If so, I agree.

It's not rabbit ears when they're screaming at you.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 05:57pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I concur with your partners on this one..... It is the coach's lockerroom..........
It's not like they were hanging outside eavesdropping. The coach knew they were in there.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 06:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
He obviously aimed these comments at us in the next room with its paper-thin walls.
This all I need to know. Buh Bye!

I'd rather explain this T than explain why I didn't call it.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the comments, observations, and rules/casebook references. While I understand willieb's position that you don't go looking for "T"rouble, I still think we should have T'd this out-of-control coach. But I respected and listened to my much more experienced partners; both were good officials who were otherwise not reluctant to T-up deserving coaches. I called at this small town, Florida panhandle school several times over a 3 year period and never had any other similar or bad experiences...but boy, this one sure sticks with me.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 07:34pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
It may simply have been a signal that his leash in the 2nd half was going to be very short if you know what I mean.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2008, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...but boy, this one sure sticks with me.
I've been told that that is a sure indication that the situation was not handled properly. You know it inside.
Closed Thread