View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Case Play 10.1.3

the reference is for rule 10 section 1 article 3
which specificall covers only the use of electronic media for coaching communicating with players -

Rule 10 Fouls and Penalties
SECTION 1 TEAM TECHNICAL
A team shall not:
ART. 3 . . . Use television monitoring or replay equipment or computers (other than for statistics) for coaching purposes during the game or any intermission or use a megaphone or any mechanical sounding device or any electronic transmission device at courtside for coaching purposes, or electronic equipment for voice communication with players.

where does this give you blanket authority over the lockerroom?

Cajun
I see what you are saying and yes common sense says whack them - however there is nothing in the rules that says you have the authority to do so.
That is the issue, find a way to deal with it.

But you can not tell me you are going to whack a coach if he mouths off and cusses in his locker room during his pre game speech to his team, or he says these three officials are going to homer us - it happens everytime we come here, after the referee's authority begins at the fifteen minute mark and you happen to be in the locker room and over hear it.

So if you accept the 10.1.3 case play as your authority - then you have to act here in the same manner - and in 25 years at upper levels I have never heard of a game or a half starting with a T because of a speech eminating from a locker room.

Since I figure that the odds are that neither of us will convince the others of our correctness I will take the lead and get some rules interpreters opinions as well as try to get rules editors to respond also. It may take a week or more to get the appropriate answers.