View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 05:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
So the rule book says it is the official's decision. It does not say the official SHALL or MUST give a T to the coach for something he says in the locker room at halftime. It is a decision. Some would call the T...some wouldn't.

For any official to call another a coward, or question their parenting skills, or their moral fiber simply because that official doesn't see this situation the same way as they do is flat-out wrong. It does nothing more than show the kind of person the name-caller truly is.
Easy, buddy. Don't shoot the messenger. I was just saying that I find this sufficient proof that the technical can indeed be called in the locker room if the official decides it is merited. Just to clarify, some of you that would not call the T in the locker room, is there an instance where you would call it for the same remarks overheard coming from the huddle, or is this still considered to be a private place?

As far as how much is too much in this situation, I find the combination of the comments being "obscenity-laced," along with the use of the word "biased," to be two big strikes. If, on top of this, the officials are reasonably certain that the coach knows they hear him, I have no trouble with the T call.

Having said all this, I am uncertain how the coach gets the news. Do we knock on the door? "Coach, my partner is at the table reporting a technical foul on you for your comments. Your coaches box is gone for the second half. If you wish to see the second half, you should knock it off now."

Or simply say that he's earned the right to finish and settle up when everybody returns from the locker room?

Lonesome Dove