The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Boys JV games. Pretty physical visiting team. My partner and I had good control of the game IMO. Early in the 4th Quarter, I tossed a player from the visiting team for a flagrant intentional foul. The home team won the game.

After the game, a parent from the home team came into the dressing room and began verbally abusing my partner. I immediately got him (the parent) out of the room and explained that he cannot come in here and do that. He said, "I have no problem with you. You did a good job, but the other guy is pathetic."

I again reaffirmed that he cannot come into the dressing room like that. My partner informed game management and they removed him from the building. The AD and the Principal both apologized for the incident and assured us it would be dealt with.

My question: Would this warrant an Unusual Incident Report to the State Association since it involved a fan and not a player or coach?
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

I would speak to my booking supervisor and get his feeling on the subject. If anything, the school just needs to have a bit more awareness about such situations.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Where I live, that kind of incedent is required to be sent in. Even though the school did the proper thing, the state does need to be informed of what happened.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 01:06am
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Report this!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Where I live, that kind of incedent is required to be sent in. Even though the school did the proper thing, the state does need to be informed of what happened.
In my state this is just as Tim said. You need to report these incidences to the state to cover everyone's back. If this fan did this before, they can be required to not attend any games during a IHSA games. We would have to file this report 48 hours after the game. I think you do yourself a disservice if you do not report it to someone, because if anything is said or done, someone has this parents actions on file.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Last boys' season, had a game with a very good partner at school "R". Towards end of first half, we missed a bad screen away from ball with enough contact to knock screened player to floor.Happened to be in front of "R" bench while attention was on a scramble elsewhere. Both "R" coaches (V and JV) give us the business, "How can both of you not see that!etc,etc.In our dressing room at halftime the JV coach brings us our bottles of water. He then begins to harangue on the obvious assault that we missed. We told him we were sorry and that we would try not to let it happen again. We explained that we only have two sets of eyes to watch five dance teams and somtimes things are not seen. He would not let it go, so finally I had to ask him to leave us alone. He lingered more, (more browbeating) so I had to adjust my genial tone and firmly asked him to leave or I would penalize his team with a "T". He huffed out, we tried to relax before the second half, but we were pretty miffed.Smooth second half. Game over. Now this guy has taken over the varsity job this season, and guess what? We are not hired for games there any more.Now we're having fun!
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

I think you should report it Rev. I got the scoop from a customer that had a son playing in the game so give me a call. I would not trust the school to "handle it" properly. They should not have allowed him anywhere near your locker room. Btw, this parent said you guys were doing fine. I can't believe you threw somebody out of the game, though.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Report it...

What is at "risk" if you report it?

Depending on the "contracting" practices of your area, you could be risking future game at that school. FYI: In our area, only varsity conference games are assigned by conference commissioners, all other games are contracted by the AD of the Host school. Having said that I would report it... even if it meant I could lose some games. In my circumstances I do not have an option. My state association (WI) states, "Crowd control problems must also be reported on the Officials Report Form within 48 hours."

What is at "risk" if you do not report it?

If it is not mandatory to report and you chose to "leave it" then the next crew may have to face another similar situation.

[Edited by williebfree on Jan 11th, 2003 at 09:23 PM]
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
I can't believe you threw somebody out of the game, though.
It was an easy call. A flagrant foul. He turned around and shoved a kid to the floor after a made basket. I had to step out of my mild-mannered demeanor and take care of business. The visiting coach asked me, "You eject a player for a flagrant foul?" I said, "I sure do coach." You would have been proud of me.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev.Ref63
Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
I can't believe you threw somebody out of the game, though.
The visiting coach asked me, "You eject a player for a flagrant foul?" I said, "I sure do coach." You would have been proud of me.
Rev, you could have even added, "That is the penalty, by rule."

BTW: Nice job on restoring control.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2003, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Tim...
I do not agree with you that the school did the "proper" thing. The fan / parent should have never been able to get to the officials room in the 1st place and that is the school's/ game managements job to make sure that they don't get there.

Rev- I think you should report.
JMO
Old Sun Jan 12, 2003, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

This needs to be reported. What bothers me is there was no security provided for you. This is a must. If it is a police officer or a janitor, you need someone there to make sure that this does not happen again. If you do not report this, what will happen next time? We as officials need to make sure that this stops! By reporting this, your state assn. will make sure that the school will correct and prevent this from taking place again. Don't feel bad about getting the school in trouble. There is a problem with the home school if they allow their fans to follow you into your dressing room. Thank God that nobody got hurt.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2003, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kenref1
This needs to be reported. What bothers me is there was no security provided for you. This is a must. If it is a police officer or a janitor, you need someone there to make sure that this does not happen again. If you do not report this, what will happen next time? We as officials need to make sure that this stops! By reporting this, your state assn. will make sure that the school will correct and prevent this from taking place again. Don't feel bad about getting the school in trouble. There is a problem with the home school if they allow their fans to follow you into your dressing room. Thank God that nobody got hurt.
Keep in mind that this is a JV game. Many places do not have security for JV or lower level games.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 12th, 2003 at 07:33 PM]

Old Sun Jan 12, 2003, 08:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Maybe in your region........

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by kenref1
Kepp in mind that this is a JV game. Many places do not have for JV or lower level games.
Speak for yourself. I have never done a lower level game that did not have a dressing room for the officials somewhere. It might not be the best dressing room, but it was a room all the same.

Peace

Old Sun Jan 12, 2003, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Forgive me for leaving out a word. I have corrected it.

"Keep in mind that this is a JV game. Many places do not have security for JV or lower level games."

That does not mean all places.

Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
NO SECURITY-NO GAME!!!!!!!
you do understand me ?
don't you?