Too much verbal?

On close OOB violations:
1. whistle & hand up
2. pointing to the line while saying “line”
3. point in the direction while saying the “blue”

Player control on a made basket:
1. whistle & fist up
2. wipe the basket while saying “no”
3. signal PC, point in the direction saying “blue endline” then pointing to the spot

Thoughts?

When a player is close to a 3 second violation, do you all say “lane-lane” to move the player or do you just hit the whistle?

When a defender has his hands on a player, do you say “hands-hands” or just get the foul?

It’s getting physical in the post, do say “easy guys” or “I’m right here” or do you just get the foul?

Sometimes when a foul occurs after my whistle & fist up (offender has that uhh-uhhh look) I may say “no sir hit” while signaling hit… thoughts?

2 person system (T to L) full court press after a made basket/timeout, the baseball pass & catch for a lay up. Do you pull up around the FT line for better coverage (as the new T probably won’t make it down court) or do you hustle to the endline?

Thanks
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 10:31am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
On close OOB violations:
1. whistle & hand up

1. whistle & fist up
3. signal PC, point in the direction saying “blue endline” then pointing to the spot

Thoughts?

When a player is close to a 3 second violation, do you all say “lane-lane” to move the player or do you just hit the whistle?

When a defender has his hands on a player, do you say “hands-hands” or just get the foul?

It’s getting physical in the post, do say “easy guys” or “I’m right here” or do you just get the foul?

Sometimes when a foul occurs after my whistle & fist up (offender has that uhh-uhhh look) I may say “no sir hit” while signaling hit… thoughts?

2 person system (T to L) full court press after a made basket/timeout, the baseball pass & catch for a lay up. Do you pull up around the FT line for better coverage (as the new T probably won’t make it down court) or do you hustle to the endline?

Thanks
For close OOB violations, I sometimes verbalize after I've done the approved mechanics. In even rarer circumstances, I will point to the spot that the player went OOB, or give the "swipe" signal. I think that one element experience teaches is when this extra communication (after-mechanic verbalization, point to OOB, and swipe) can be used effectively.

On a player control foul, I have the whistle, sometimes a fist, and then the proper signal. If the basket goes in, I waive it off. I almost never say anything extra, such as "no". In cases where the ball is bouncing around, I might waive off a potential basket before it goes in.

My typical preventative phrases are "out of the key", "hands off", and "stay legal" or "straight up". All of them have worked very well for me.

As for L becoming the "temporary T": I do it if need be. I don't sacrifice an earlier position with the belief that I *have* to get to the endline. If I'm in a better position for action that might have me as a temporary trail, then I do without any issues.
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On close OOB violations:
1. whistle & hand up
I personally would just point at the line, then point direction then say the color.

Quote:
1. whistle & fist up
I usually give the PC signal first, since I am often calling it a PC before I know if the basket goes in. Once I've called the PC I'll wave it off. I do not say blue endline or point, too much verbiage imo.

Quote:
I do not call 3 seconds very often, I try to talk to players. But if a player is camping beyond 3 seconds then I'll call it.

Quote:

I don't say hands or anything. I either call it or don't. This is in the open where everyone can see.

Quote:
Depends on how physical. Try to say what they're doing wrong. If its getting physical just call it, this fixes bad post play quickly.

Quote:

I don't think I EVER prelim a hit signal. I just go report it. If the player if giving you bad looks talk to him and tell him to knock it off. Everyone can probably see this looks so it just makes you look bad.

Quote:

Don't feel the need to immediately get to the baseline. If you do, you will get straightlined at some point through the play (and knowing our luck its as a hack occurs). I will referee from a C position to obtain the angle, then move down once the drive has completed. Remember, you want to be able to always see BETWEEN the two players, so that you may see any illegal contact.

Hope this helps.
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

You can't go wrong using the approved signals. You can sometimes get into trouble using nonapproved signals. Here is what I mean.
When signaling a "no shot" signal, then just use that signal. Sometimes, officials just use a nonapproved signal of pointing to the ground. Trying to point out that the foul occoured, on the ground, before the act of shooting. Well... depending on how they signal this it could be interpeted as "Basket good"
I will use verval communication of "Move" to get players out of the lane. "Move" can apply to anyone, but if a player is in the lane and he hears "Move", then they should understand and get out.
I will use "Careful" not "Hands". If a coach hears "hands" then they may want you to call the foul as compared to prevent a foul. Again, "careful" should convey your message to the players that are involved.
Take this information anyway you want. Some may like it, some not. So far it has not gotten me into trouble.
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

On violations where there is a separate hand signal, I whistle, say the violation, then point and say the color of the team getting the ball. When there's no hand signal (OOB), I just say the color. If I think there would be a question, I might point to the line or say "stepped on the line," but usually not.

The key thing is to do what you need to do to sell THAT call, but don't get into a habit of what I call "giving too much info." A lot of times what happens may be clearer to others than it is to you (even though you called it) because you are closer.
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On close OOB violations:
1. whistle & hand up

I do this

1. whistle & fist up

I don't normally wipe off the basket as part of my preliminary. If you're signalling PC, everybody knows it's not going to count. I think it's more important to get the PC signal out there first. I will wipe the basket on the way to the table, or as part of reporting.
Thoughts?

"Outta there." or "Clear" I don't want to call 3 seconds, but I also don't want players camping and causing me issues. So I'll talk them out if I can. But the talking has to end at some point.

"Hands off" has been pretty effective for me. I'll verbalize if there's time for the defender to correct the situation. If the foul has already occurred, there's nothing I can do to prevent it; call it.

"Straight up" or "Easy, guys" and "Get the knee out" work pretty well for me. Again, I'll talk if there's time to prevent. But I'll call it if they don't clean it up, or if a foul occurs.

I'm just not quite getting what you're saying here.

It depends. If there is a press on, then I'm probably going to be up to help cover backcourt in 2 man. If they then break the press, I may very well not be able to get back to the end line before a quick basket, so I'll work for the best angle I can get. That's all part of the trade-offs of 2 man. But if the ball settles in the front court, even briefly, I'll be hurrying to the end line and I'll let the T catch up as best he can. I think you have to ask yourself, where will your problems likely occur? and which play can be seen better from a distance? and make your decisions based on the answers.

Thanks
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 02:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I don't normally wipe off the basket as part of my preliminary. If you're signalling PC, everybody knows it's not going to count. I think it's more important to get the PC signal out there first. I will wipe the basket on the way to the table, or as part of reporting.
I do not completely disagree, but there are people that are aware of the college rule (Men's side) and ask for the basket to be counted. Also many table personnel are more concerned with the basket counting than what you called. I will let everyone know if there is no doubt the basket went in to wipe off the basket.

Quote:
On close OOB violations:
1. whistle & hand up
I have used this but if it is not easily seen. I do not use it all the time or most of the time. Just very rare plays where a toe nail hits the line. I do not recommend it or say you have to do this, just something that happens.

Quote:
1. whistle & fist up

Thoughts?
I will only wipe off the basket if the ball goes in. Most PC fouls I probably would never do this.

Quote:
I will say "lane" and that usually works. If a player is camped, I will make the call. This is a very rare call from me because of how I talk to the players.

Quote:
I say this very early in the game even before a player touches a ball handler. I just want them to know I am watching. It seems to keep me from making a lot of calls. But if they foul I blow the whistle. I only do this to prevent situations early. After a few fouls they get the message.

Quote:
I talk early and often in the post. I usually say "vertical, vertical" or "hands, hands" and if I do call a foul I say, "I was warning you."

Quote:
I do not say much right after a call other than what the player did and what we are going to do next.

Quote:
I do not pull up, but I watch the feet so if they do go up I have a better look. Also you have some idea what players are going to shoot and which ones will go to the hole.

Peace
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On close OOB violations:
1. whistle & hand up

Ok, if you wish to sell a close call with a little more.

1. whistle & fist up

Sounds good to me, but I would alter the order of the signals.
PC signal first.

Wipe basket. I will say, "No shot," or "No basket," but never "On the floor" while cancelling a goal.
Indicate throw-in spot and direction.

Don't coach the players. Just officiate them. Either pass if there is no advantage/impact upon the play or call a violation.

If the contact meets the advantage/disadvantage criteria I just call the foul. See above.

I've found that the best comment in this situation is "be smart." I either say that or call a foul. Nothing else. It seems to me that you are saying too much to the players.

If you are saying that the player is disagreeing with your call, you need to decide whether to simply ignore it, warn the player, or if it warrants a T. Don't engage in a debate with the player.

I would rather get all the way to the end line, but I can't and need an angle to see contact between the players I will pull up as you inquire about.

Thanks

Old Fri May 23, 2008, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On close OOB violations:
1. whistle & hand up

1. whistle & fist up

Thoughts?

Thanks
OOB and PC fouls are both good. I usually do and say the exact same thing.

3 second is kind of tricky. I usually never warn the same player for 3 second twice. It's better to call the violation early and dictate how we are going to call the game. If it's a different player, say a replacement for B5, then maybe in the 1st half I'll warn the same team twice. Warning period is over in the 2nd half.

Same probably goes for hand check and rough play in the post.

I would almost never respond to the look of a player in a school-league game. In Rec games, I will.

Last, I usually find the best angle to officiate fast break play. So if it requires me to stop near the FT line extended to see the drive, I'll do it. For 3 person, I always run back because I trust the slot and new trail to assist me on the play.

Last edited by Mwanr1; Fri May 23, 2008 at 02:44pm.
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RCBSports
Our local board normally encourages us officials to be somewhat verbal. But not to a degree that creates an unfair advantage.

If the game gets physical, I do say 'hands off guys' or 'easy there'. I too only give a few warnings. I don't keep saying it over and over again.

Normally if I say hands off, go down the court, come back, and they do the same thing again, I am going to start calling it.

So, in a way, I do what you do. I don't see anything wrong with being verbal; however, just be fair and do it to both sides and not just to one side.

-Lucas
WVSSAC - MonValley Referee
Little League Baseball Umpire Coordinator
Old Sat May 24, 2008, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
If I give a PC foul - I don't even try to look at the basket, if you can't see it go in - you've got even more deny-ability. I'll give PC - wipe the basket - give a direction signal.

tough out of bounds - I give a direction then sell it as I need to. Pointing at a player - pointing at a line, tapping my thigh as to indicate it was off of the player I pointed to - then direction again.