Originally Posted by Ch1town
On close OOB violations:
1. whistle & hand up
2. pointing to the line while saying “line”
3. point in the direction while saying the “blue”

Player control on a made basket:
1. whistle & fist up
2. wipe the basket while saying “no”
3. signal PC, point in the direction saying “blue endline” then pointing to the spot

Thoughts?

When a player is close to a 3 second violation, do you all say “lane-lane” to move the player or do you just hit the whistle?

When a defender has his hands on a player, do you say “hands-hands” or just get the foul?

It’s getting physical in the post, do say “easy guys” or “I’m right here” or do you just get the foul?

Sometimes when a foul occurs after my whistle & fist up (offender has that uhh-uhhh look) I may say “no sir hit” while signaling hit… thoughts?

2 person system (T to L) full court press after a made basket/timeout, the baseball pass & catch for a lay up. Do you pull up around the FT line for better coverage (as the new T probably won’t make it down court) or do you hustle to the endline?

Thanks
OOB and PC fouls are both good. I usually do and say the exact same thing.

3 second is kind of tricky. I usually never warn the same player for 3 second twice. It's better to call the violation early and dictate how we are going to call the game. If it's a different player, say a replacement for B5, then maybe in the 1st half I'll warn the same team twice. Warning period is over in the 2nd half.

Same probably goes for hand check and rough play in the post.

I would almost never respond to the look of a player in a school-league game. In Rec games, I will.

Last, I usually find the best angle to officiate fast break play. So if it requires me to stop near the FT line extended to see the drive, I'll do it. For 3 person, I always run back because I trust the slot and new trail to assist me on the play.

Last edited by Mwanr1; Fri May 23, 2008 at 02:44pm.