The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Verbal INT (not OBS)?

Hi, all.

This past season, I completed my first year of umpiring baseball here in the Great White (or, this year anyway, Green) North. This marked my return to the diamond after some experience in previous years with (what my baseball clinician referred to as) the 'evil' softball

Anyway, having read some of the previous discussion regarding verbal obstruction (which I understand is not prohibited by OBR), I was reminded of a discussion I had with a partner about the opposite side of the coin: verbal interference by the team at bat.

Picture either of these situations:
1. B1 hits a pop fly in the area near his dugout. The fielder camps under the ball and prepares to catch it, at which time B1's teammates on the bench scream at him to "drop it!"

2. R1. B1 hits a fly ball to short right field. F3, F4 and F9 are converging on the ball, when R1 yells "I got it!" Ball falls in between the three onrushing fielders and all hands are safe.

I notice in reading the articles on Interference and Obstruction the following distinction:

2.00 (a) (Interference): "Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play.

2.00 (Obstruction): "Obstruction is the act of a fielder who [...] impedes the progress of any runner."

I'm also aware of the interpretation in J/R (and, as I stated above, previous discussion on this board) that a fielder may mislead a runner as to the facts of a play or an umpire's decision. Given all that, I wonder:

Is the offense, by the language of the Interference rule, held to a higher standard than the defense, or are these also examples of play that might be considered "bush," but that an umpire should deem legal?

Your opinions, please?
Andrew (#40)
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four-Oh
Hi, all.

This past season, I completed my first year of umpiring baseball here in the Great White (or, this year anyway, Green) North. This marked my return to the diamond after some experience in previous years with (what my baseball clinician referred to as) the 'evil' softball

Anyway, having read some of the previous discussion regarding verbal obstruction (which I understand is not prohibited by OBR), I was reminded of a discussion I had with a partner about the opposite side of the coin: verbal interference by the team at bat.

Picture either of these situations:
1. B1 hits a pop fly in the area near his dugout. The fielder camps under the ball and prepares to catch it, at which time B1's teammates on the bench scream at him to "drop it!"

2. R1. B1 hits a fly ball to short right field. F3, F4 and F9 are converging on the ball, when R1 yells "I got it!" Ball falls in between the three onrushing fielders and all hands are safe.

I notice in reading the articles on Interference and Obstruction the following distinction:

2.00 (a) (Interference): "Offensive interference is an act by the team at bat which interferes with, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play.

2.00 (Obstruction): "Obstruction is the act of a fielder who [...] impedes the progress of any runner."

I'm also aware of the interpretation in J/R (and, as I stated above, previous discussion on this board) that a fielder may mislead a runner as to the facts of a play or an umpire's decision. Given all that, I wonder:

Is the offense, by the language of the Interference rule, held to a higher standard than the defense, or are these also examples of play that might be considered "bush," but that an umpire should deem legal?

Your opinions, please?
Andrew (#40)
Well, as you stated, OBR has nothing to cover you doing anything about it! It's part of the game and the older the players, the more they will "police" themselves. That is when you may have to step in!

Now, if you are dealing with "little shavers", you could tell them to knock of (I guess LL would cover you somehow).
Old Wed Jan 03, 2007, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Hmm,

I suggest you stick to softball.

Regards,
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Situation 1 and 2 are examples of verbal interference under FED rules but not under OBR. I can think think of some examples of verbal obstruction in FED also, but not in OBR.

As Ozzy mentions, the older they are the less likely this will happen. On the small bases played under OBR you will no doubt have to explain the rules to a highly excited head coach, and maybe have to toss the assistant who came out with him to argue.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

King Tim C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
I suggest you stick to softball.

Regards,
Tim,
I see you are rather a senior member on this forum and have many plaques on your wall. But as I spend more time on this board I can't help but notice all the snide remarks you have for everyone. I really don't see the need for your constant sarcasum. An honest question was asked by someone who you obviously think insults your presence on this board. Why don't you just keep your wisecracks to yourself unless someone attacks you first. It's rather clear that you have never heard the saying "If you have nothing nice to say perhaps you should say nothing".

Last edited by PFISTO; Sun Jan 07, 2007 at 06:59pm.