Originally Posted by Ch1town
On close OOB violations:
1. whistle & hand up
2. pointing to the line while saying “line”
3. point in the direction while saying the “blue”

Player control on a made basket:
1. whistle & fist up
2. wipe the basket while saying “no”
3. signal PC, point in the direction saying “blue endline” then pointing to the spot

Thoughts?

When a player is close to a 3 second violation, do you all say “lane-lane” to move the player or do you just hit the whistle?

When a defender has his hands on a player, do you say “hands-hands” or just get the foul?

It’s getting physical in the post, do say “easy guys” or “I’m right here” or do you just get the foul?

Sometimes when a foul occurs after my whistle & fist up (offender has that uhh-uhhh look) I may say “no sir hit” while signaling hit… thoughts?

2 person system (T to L) full court press after a made basket/timeout, the baseball pass & catch for a lay up. Do you pull up around the FT line for better coverage (as the new T probably won’t make it down court) or do you hustle to the endline?

Thanks
For close OOB violations, I sometimes verbalize after I've done the approved mechanics. In even rarer circumstances, I will point to the spot that the player went OOB, or give the "swipe" signal. I think that one element experience teaches is when this extra communication (after-mechanic verbalization, point to OOB, and swipe) can be used effectively.

On a player control foul, I have the whistle, sometimes a fist, and then the proper signal. If the basket goes in, I waive it off. I almost never say anything extra, such as "no". In cases where the ball is bouncing around, I might waive off a potential basket before it goes in.

My typical preventative phrases are "out of the key", "hands off", and "stay legal" or "straight up". All of them have worked very well for me.

As for L becoming the "temporary T": I do it if need be. I don't sacrifice an earlier position with the belief that I *have* to get to the endline. If I'm in a better position for action that might have me as a temporary trail, then I do without any issues.