Old Thu May 22, 2008, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
On close OOB violations:
1. whistle & hand up
2. pointing to the line while saying “line”
3. point in the direction while saying the “blue”
I personally would just point at the line, then point direction then say the color.

Quote:
Player control on a made basket:
1. whistle & fist up
2. wipe the basket while saying “no”
3. signal PC, point in the direction saying “blue endline” then pointing to the spot
I usually give the PC signal first, since I am often calling it a PC before I know if the basket goes in. Once I've called the PC I'll wave it off. I do not say blue endline or point, too much verbiage imo.

Quote:
When a player is close to a 3 second violation, do you all say “lane-lane” to move the player or do you just hit the whistle?
I do not call 3 seconds very often, I try to talk to players. But if a player is camping beyond 3 seconds then I'll call it.

Quote:

When a defender has his hands on a player, do you say “hands-hands” or just get the foul?
I don't say hands or anything. I either call it or don't. This is in the open where everyone can see.

Quote:
It’s getting physical in the post, do say “easy guys” or “I’m right here” or do you just get the foul?
Depends on how physical. Try to say what they're doing wrong. If its getting physical just call it, this fixes bad post play quickly.

Quote:

Sometimes when a foul occurs after my whistle & fist up (offender has that uhh-uhhh look) I may say “no sir hit” while signaling hit… thoughts?
I don't think I EVER prelim a hit signal. I just go report it. If the player if giving you bad looks talk to him and tell him to knock it off. Everyone can probably see this looks so it just makes you look bad.

Quote:

2 person system (T to L) full court press after a made basket/timeout, the baseball pass & catch for a lay up. Do you pull up around the FT line for better coverage (as the new T probably won’t make it down court) or do you hustle to the endline?
Don't feel the need to immediately get to the baseline. If you do, you will get straightlined at some point through the play (and knowing our luck its as a hack occurs). I will referee from a C position to obtain the angle, then move down once the drive has completed. Remember, you want to be able to always see BETWEEN the two players, so that you may see any illegal contact.

Hope this helps.