The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
He has a thyroid condition for which he gets 2 pills a day and hacks up his cat dinner at least once a week - usually on something I left sitting on the floor
That cat should be coyote bait.

Richland, WA
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
He has a thyroid condition for which he gets 2 pills a day and hacks up his cat dinner at least once a week - usually on something I left sitting on the floor

I keep telling my wife one day she'll open the freezer & find him staring back at her, nestled between the frozen chicken & the frozen peas...

jeffpea, your's is a good point and maybe your words are safer than mine (could be I was trolling a bit, caught me a nice one, eh Nate? ).

Point remains if you're aware of some activity the coach is complaining about and the crew has been letting it go for some reason then do not tell him you'll "watch for it". Tell him you see it too but it is not worth a whistle.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I keep telling my wife one day she'll open the freezer & find him staring back at her, nestled between the frozen chicken & the frozen peas...

jeffpea, your's is a good point and maybe your words are safer than mine (could be I was trolling a bit, caught me a nice one, eh Nate? ).

Point remains if you're aware of some activity the coach is complaining about and the crew has been letting it go for some reason then do not tell him you'll "watch for it". Tell him you see it too but it is not worth a whistle.
Hey Dan....again I dont agree with your statement "I see it but it's not worth a whistle." Assuming you work HS Varsity level games, which I think you do, for me this would not be an acceptable answer. If a HS V coach in my area is continually complaining over #24 holding then there is a good chance #24 is holding. I am not going to lock onto that player and watch every move, but I may be a little more observant. If it turns out that the coaches just complaining, then you may say "she/he is doing nothing illegal, coach."
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 11:23am
Esteemed Participant

Ok - a couple thoughts from way out West (I think I live about 1 mile further west than Juulie)...
1)if a player "palms" the ball in the back-court with no defensive pressure, why would you even see it? If there's no pressure, why aren't you looking up the court to see where the defense is and what they are doing so you have an idea of what's coming. I can honestly say that I really don't even watch that guard that closely - just sort of out of the corner of the eye - until the defense comes out to meet him/her.

2)Every call is a decision - do we call it or not. Some decisions are simply no-brainers...others are ones that can be called "game interrupters". They have nothing to do with what's going on and serve no useful purpose...even the coaches get irritated when those types of things are called - both coaches, because they know if you call it on the opponent then you will eventually call it on them also.

3)Chuck, please, please, please - no more shower stories, ok. Kinda got that "broke-backie" feel to it, ya know!!
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey Dan....again I dont agree with your statement "I see it but it's not worth a whistle." Assuming you work HS Varsity level games, which I think you do, for me this would not be an acceptable answer. If a HS V coach in my area is continually complaining over #24 holding then there is a good chance #24 is holding. I am not going to lock onto that player and watch every move, but I may be a little more observant.
Nate, again my point is if you ARE aware of what the coach is complaning about but have decided to let it go tell him. If A1 & B1 are banging bodies the whole game and the crew is aware of it (which they should be) do not tell the coach you'll watch for it when he politely complains his big guy is getting killed 10 minutes into the second half ("There's a lot of contact both ways coach"). If the coach complains that B1 is palming the ball in the BC don't tell him you'll watch for it. The reason being the very next time "it" happens he will rightly be all over you wondering why you didn't call it, since you told him you would look for it.

Otherwise a simple smile & "OK coach, I'll look for it" is fine.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 11:34am
In Memoriam

Quote:

[/B]
If a HS V coach in my area is continually complaining over #24 holding then there is a good chance #24 is holding. [/B][/QUOTE]Hopefully you'll get over that idea with a little more experience.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 11:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Ok - a couple thoughts from way out West (I think I live about 1 mile further west than Juulie)...
1)if a player "palms" the ball in the back-court with no defensive pressure, why would you even see it? If there's no pressure, why aren't you looking up the court to see where the defense is and what they are doing so you have an idea of what's coming. I can honestly say that I really don't even watch that guard that closely - just sort of out of the corner of the eye - until the defense comes out to meet him/her.

2)Every call is a decision - do we call it or not. Some decisions are simply no-brainers...others are ones that can be called "game interrupters". They have nothing to do with what's going on and serve no useful purpose...even the coaches get irritated when those types of things are called - both coaches, because they know if you call it on the opponent then you will eventually call it on them also.

3)Chuck, please, please, please - no more shower stories, ok. Kinda got that "broke-backie" feel to it, ya know!!
And wise thoughts they are too.....

Even #3....

Do you want me to post the picture of Chuck and Dan in their cowboy hats and spurs? Going yee haw?
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Dan....again I dont agree with your statement "I see it but it's not worth a whistle." Assuming you work HS Varsity level games, which I think you do, for me this would not be an acceptable answer. If a HS V coach in my area is continually complaining over #24 holding then there is a good chance #24 is holding. I am not going to lock onto that player and watch every move, but I may be a little more observant.
Nate, again my point is if you ARE aware of what the coach is complaning about but have decided to let it go tell him. If A1 & B1 are banging bodies the whole game and the crew is aware of it (which they should be) do not tell the coach you'll watch for it when he politely complains his big guy is getting killed 10 minutes into the second half ("There's a lot of contact both ways coach"). If the coach complains that B1 is palming the ball in the BC don't tell him you'll watch for it. The reason being the very next time "it" happens he will rightly be all over you wondering why you didn't call it, since you told him you would look for it.
The wording I use is, "We're watching." That seems to cover all the bases.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 11:53am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Well, other than the fact that it's Chuck and Dan...and JR, I gotta say "No thanks" to the pictures, but tahnks for the thought! (yuck)
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, other than the fact that it's Chuck and Dan...and JR (yuck)
Oh, oh, when did JR get involved? I don't remember seeing him in the video.

That reminds me, I have to make another appointment with my therapist...

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 12:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well, other than the fact that it's Chuck and Dan...and JR, I gotta say "No thanks" to the pictures, but thanks for the thought! (yuck)
Didn't you know that Dan used to be the "Cowboy" in the Village People?

And Chuck was also on the Village People's....um....short list?
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well, other than the fact that it's Chuck and Dan...and JR, I gotta say "No thanks" to the pictures, but thanks for the thought! (yuck)
Didn't you know that Dan used to be the "Cowboy" in the Village People?

And Chuck was also on the Village People's....um....short list?
WHYYYYYYYYYEMMMMSEEEAYE!

It's fun to stay at the...
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

To answer #1: Why would I see it. B/c I am the T official and I am also watching for other violations. You mean as the T, you simply look down court while the ball is being inbounded? I guess since there is no pressure the throw-in-violation shouldnt be called either?? I guess you wouldnt see a dribbler move his/her pivot foot either??? WOW. I hope what you meant is that it almost never happens and thats why you arent looking for it..not because you arent watching the ball in your area, guarded or unguarded.

#2..."game interupters." Another broad stroke with a slim brush. You consider them game interupters the opposing coach considers a walk/palm/throw-in violation in the backcourt a TURNOVER. I more possesion for his/her team.
Old Fri Jan 13, 2006, 12:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

[/B]
#2..."game interupters." Another broad stroke with a slim brush. You consider them game interupters the opposing coach considers a walk/palm/throw-in violation in the backcourt a TURNOVER. I more possesion for his/her team. [/B][/QUOTE]Nate, you completely missed Rocky's point in # 1. So be it.

However, the sooner you get over worrying about what any coach says or thinks, the sooner you'll turn into a much better official.

Jmo. Take it fwiw. Or ignore it completely. Don't matter to me one way or t'other.