The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hey, watch #24 for. . . . (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24172-hey-watch-24-a.html)

mplagrow Wed Jan 11, 2006 08:37pm

As long as there are so many threads about coaches going, what do you guys tell a coach who says, "Watch number 24 for (fill in the foul or violation)!" Last time I had a coach say that, I just said, "I'm watching the whole game!" Do you ever give an OK to that? I tend not to, because I don't want it to seem like I'm acting on their directions. How about, "We're on it!" Other ideas?

Dewey1 Wed Jan 11, 2006 08:53pm

I absolutely say I will watch it. I don't feel that means I am not watching everything else but helps the coach to know that I am willing to listen. I have NEVER had a coach abuse that and tell me to watch a whole bunch of different things, but I guess that could happen. In that case I would deal with it differently.

On the flip side I have had coaches ask me to watch (fill in the blank violation or infraction) and if they keep complaining I sometimes say "give me a number, coach". Most of the time they have no number ready to give and we move on. It works really well. I had a coach respond with "everyone, all of them are holding!" I said "really coach, you honestly want me to believe that EVERY player on there team is holding on EVERY play?" That was the end of that complaint as well.

I never think it is a bad idea to talk with coaches who are respectful in a respectful way and at an appropriate time. Sometime I find they are RIGHT and # so and so was actually setting doing what they were saying.

Just my opinion.

bgtg19 Wed Jan 11, 2006 08:59pm

It's just slightly too long for a "run by," but this is my typical response if I'm standing: "O.K., Coach. We'll look for it on both ends."

FWIW, I don't think you necessarily change what you say, but I do think it can be more valuable to actually listen and look for what the coach is asking for in a two-person game. Especially if it's off ball stuff. With three-person, the crew usually has the court covered, but with fewer eyes it *is* possible that we're missing something.

mplagrow Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:02pm

OK, I'll give you that. But suppose coach A yells, "Watch the illegal screen by #55!" loud enough for coach B to hear, and a moment later you're calling one on #55. Isn't that an uncomfortable situation? Are you opening yourself up for the other coach to start advising? Granted, if he IS setting an illegal screen, you've got to call it, but that's why I don't like to hear coaches telling me what I'm (supposedly) missing.

JRutledge Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:05pm

I typically do not like the "Watch number....." conversation. All they are trying to do is con you into calling something that is not there. Usually that line comes from a player. Then I put it back on them and say, "You know that means I will be watching you." Then I do not hear another word for the rest of the game. Look, the coaches are playing a mind game. I am not watching one player because they say so.

Peace

bgtg19 Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
All they are trying to do is con you into calling something that is not there. *** Look, the coaches are playing a mind game.
This is too broad a stroke. Some coaches try to con officials into doing something, and when you discover that you can tune *that* coach out; but don't tune out all coaches. Some coaches try to play mind games, and when you discover that you can refuse to play along. I think it's helpful to enter a game with the expectation that a coach is going to treat you with respect; then adjust course if the respect is not forthcoming. A respectful request from a coach to "watch so and so" is fine with me.

JRutledge Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bgtg19
This is too broad a stroke. Some coaches try to con officials into doing something, and when you discover that you can tune *that* coach out; but don't tune out all coaches. Some coaches try to play mind games, and when you discover that you can refuse to play along. I think it's helpful to enter a game with the expectation that a coach is going to treat you with respect; then adjust course if the respect is not forthcoming. A respectful request from a coach to "watch so and so" is fine with me.
You look at it as a board stoke, I look at it as reality. I have even had coaches say directly to me after an exchange like this, "I can beg can't I?" Coaches know what they are doing. You never see them tell you to watch their own players for obvious infractions and fouls. I also did not say I had a problem with them simply asking, that is what they do. I just do not have to put much stock into it. The best coaches I know are not spending their time worrying about every call. I know who to watch for and what to watch for. I do not need their help.

Peace

Dan_ref Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:39pm

I don't care if a coach quietly asks me to watch a player.

If I think he's full of crap I'll just smile, tell him sure thing, thanks.

If it's something I've been letting go I'll tell him everyone's doing it (that's why I've been letting it go of course).

Chris Whitten Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:42pm

Had the exact thing happen in a JV game recently. Sparse crowd, so coach A's voice was easily heard saying, "Watch 34 holding." Sure 'nuff, on the inbounds, 34 held. I hated to, but I called it. Coach B comments, "You gonna let him call the game?" On the ensuing inbounds, 34 holds so bad the offended player loses his balance. My partner calls it this time. Nothing else is said. Call what happens.

Texas Aggie Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:51pm

If a coach or player says "watch number...", just say, "OK" and leave it at that. There's no reason to let him know you are basically ignoring the request. Saying "OK" gives him the impression you are going to do something about it.

There's no good reason to say anything else. You aren't going to persuade them what your real job is, so why bother? It just potentially invites trouble later.

Snake~eyes Wed Jan 11, 2006 09:51pm

A lot of times Coach is complaining about something that one of his players does.

"can you watch for #24 palming the ball?"

"Coach, your #12 is doing the exact same thing when he has the ball."

rainmaker Thu Jan 12, 2006 01:18am

"Thank you."

"Thank you"

"I hear you, coach"

"Thank you"

For some reason, this has been foolproof (me-proof!). Coach knows you heard him, but you're not giving him anything, either. Works well on parents, too.

"you're horrible!" "Thank you."

"Blow the d*** whistle" "Thank you."

"I hope you're not doing the next game." "Thank you."

It blows them away because it's so completely and totally meaningless, and there's no way they can respond. I don't ever say it, unless the parent is situated physically in such a way that I can't avoid responding. But in those few situations where there's no way to escape, it's just like magic. I love it.

johnnyrao Thu Jan 12, 2006 08:39am

Quote:

Originally posted by mplagrow
As long as there are so many threads about coaches going, what do you guys tell a coach who says, "Watch number 24 for (fill in the foul or violation)!" Last time I had a coach say that, I just said, "I'm watching the whole game!" Do you ever give an OK to that? I tend not to, because I don't want it to seem like I'm acting on their directions. How about, "We're on it!" Other ideas?
If it is prior to the game (I had this happen last year) tell the coach that after you get done with talking to him/her you are going to go ask the opposing coach if there is any player on his team he would like me to watch out for. I had a coach ask me last year during pre-game if I would watch number 24 because she pushes a lot. I said I would and that I would also ask the other coach who I should watch on his team in order to be fair. He obviously did not like my response but couldn't challenge it either since I said it very politely. By the way, the player he asked me to watch did not push at all, scored a bunch of points and was the other team's best player.

IREFU2 Thu Jan 12, 2006 08:50am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref

I don't care if a coach quietly asks me to watch a player.

If I think he's full of crap I'll just smile, tell him sure thing, thanks.

If it's something I've been letting go I'll tell him everyone's doing it (that's why I've been letting it go of course).

I have to disagree with you on that statement. Some coaches, not many are just trying to coach. There are team that do try to use every trick in the book to get an advantage. I always tell the coach, I will keep an eye out of it.

johnnyrao Thu Jan 12, 2006 08:57am

By the way, on my earlier post, I have to say I learned that technique from this forum (I think it was from Mark Padgett). I never actually went and asked the other coach. Once I said that the home coach realized maybe he should be careful what he asks for. Just wanted to give credit to this forum for helping me out. I have never said it since because it was a unique situation. If it happens during a game I just tell a coach that we will watch for it. I have even told a coach that i am just not seeing it the way he's telling me but I am and I will continue to watch for it. It normally works.