The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 23, 2003, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I'm having a lot of trouble with the new strong side mechanic. I never really did get comfortable with crossing the key to "go strong side." And now it's even more necessary, and I feel even less comfortable.

Friday night, my partner and I kept discussing it and working on it, but had a number of questions. We both began to see how important it was: the ball gets below the 3-point line, and if there are several people above the ball, trail often doesn't have a good view of the ball. But in that case, it's hard to have eye contact with the partner to see when to switch, and who's looking where.

So here are some questions:

1) When does lead GO? Wait until the ball is actually in the new primary area, or just when it's headed there?

2) I think looking at partner just prior to the hustle across might be the wisest thing, a sort of, "Here we go!" agreement. Does that seem reasonable?

3) There were several times Friday evening, when the ball was across the key from the lead, in the newly-christened Primary, and all 10 players were below the 3-point line. This would mean that lead would have all 10 players, and trail none. So trail needs to pick up someone, right? But who?

4) In which case, at what point does trail shift to the farther angle, picking up any weakside players who were previously covered by lead?

5) When does lead hustle back across? How does trail know when to pick up the ball again?

6) If trail is taking a drive all the way to the basket, does lead wait to cross until the drive is either ended in a shot, or interrupted by defense, thus settling the ball down low? If lead goes across anyway, does the ball switch to lead's attention? Or does lead go across, but leave the ball to trail?

These were all questions that we talked about -- after the situations happened, and we hand't done it correctly.

Next scrimmage is Tuesday evening -- I hope to get some of this worked out before then. Thanks for help!!
Old Sun Nov 23, 2003, 10:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I'm having a lot of trouble with the new strong side mechanic. I never really did get comfortable with crossing the key to "go strong side." And now it's even more necessary, and I feel even less comfortable.

Friday night, my partner and I kept discussing it and working on it, but had a number of questions. We both began to see how important it was: the ball gets below the 3-point line, and if there are several people above the ball, trail often doesn't have a good view of the ball. But in that case, it's hard to have eye contact with the partner to see when to switch, and who's looking where.

1) When does lead GO? Wait until the ball is actually in the new primary area, or just when it's headed there? When the ball and the players seem to be headed in that direction and you are anticipating a crowd, cross over, but turn back to the paint and focus on your original primary from the strong side.

2) I think looking at partner just prior to the hustle across might be the wisest thing, a sort of, "Here we go!" agreement. Does that seem reasonable? No there will be no need for that after a little practice. You will see that shirt and your partner will see yours.
You may want to say, "I'm here." but it is better if nothing is verbalized.

3) There were several times Friday evening, when the ball was across the key from the lead, in the newly-christened Primary, and all 10 players were below the 3-point line. This would mean that lead would have all 10 players, and trail none. So trail needs to pick up someone, right? But who? Lead should not have 10 players. Just because Lead went to strongside, unless Lead is "squared up" on the ball, Trail still has the ball.

4) In which case, at what point does trail shift to the farther angle, picking up any weakside players who were previously covered by lead? When the Lead is "squared up" on the ball and not the paint.

5) When does lead hustle back across? How does trail know when to pick up the ball again? Lead retreats as necessary to cover a match-up. If the ball is in Trail's primary then Trail has coverage.

6) If trail is taking a drive all the way to the basket, does lead wait to cross until the drive is either ended in a shot, or interrupted by defense, thus settling the ball down low? If lead goes across anyway, does the ball switch to lead's attention? Or does lead go across, but leave the ball to trail? During a drive from Trail's primary is not a good time for Lead to cross-over. It is better for the Lead to get into position for a good look at the defenders. If Lead goes across anyway, Lead should be squared up on the paint. The entire drive from Trail's primary should be left to Trail, but remember for every primary we have a sceondary. The calls will be made.

These were all questions that we talked about -- after the situations happened, and we hand't done it correctly.

Next scrimmage is Tuesday evening -- I hope to get some of this worked out before then. Thanks for help!!
mick
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden

1) When does lead GO? Wait until the ball is actually in the new primary area, or just when it's headed there?

Ball goes below the free throw line and the post play is on the opposite side of the lane.

2) I think looking at partner just prior to the hustle across might be the wisest thing, a sort of, "Here we go!" agreement. Does that seem reasonable?

No. In 3 man you learn to watch your partner(s) with your periferal vision. Same is true here.

3) There were several times Friday evening, when the ball was across the key from the lead, in the newly-christened Primary, and all 10 players were below the 3-point line. This would mean that lead would have all 10 players, and trail none. So trail needs to pick up someone, right? But who?

Look at your charts in the officiating manual. There is always someone to watch off ball.

4) In which case, at what point does trail shift to the farther angle, picking up any weakside players who were previously covered by lead?

When he knows his partner is in position on the strong side.

5) When does lead hustle back across? How does trail know when to pick up the ball again?

The lead needs to hustle back obviously when the ball comes back to the other side of the floor, but before then, if the ball goes back to the top of the key, I hustle back right then.
b) periferal vision.

6) If trail is taking a drive all the way to the basket, does lead wait to cross until the drive is either ended in a shot, or interrupted by defense, thus settling the ball down low? If lead goes across anyway, does the ball switch to lead's attention? Or does lead go across, but leave the ball to trail?

You never want to be caught in no mans land(under the basket) during a basket attempt. Stay put and let the play happen then decide if you need to get back across.

Hope this helps Juulie. The mechanic takes some practice. One thing I would do when you start a game is look and see what defense they are in. If they are playing man to man, I wouldn't go strong side as much as when they are in a zone. In zone you want to overload a zone and get a mismatch so there is a tendency to get all the players on one side of the floor. In man to man, they ususally spread out more and the ball likes to bounce around so you won't see it settle anywhere. Stay put and let your partner cover that side of the floor. Remeber that as you move across the paint you need to continue officiating. Don't focus on where you are going but instead focus on the matchup you want to officiate. Watch how on TV the official always has his head pointed at the lane while he crosses over to start the rotation in 3-man. That is how you want to do it in 2 man.

Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I love this new mechanic and i pregame the dog out of it every game because I want to make sure my partnerd oesnt think i dont trust them! I dont go over if theres just one person. if theres 2 players from each team or theres a crowd I go. I go based on judgement... if i can take a few steps deeper off the endline I will.. if my partner is having a hard time seeing or has some other off-ball stuff going on I'll come over... I usually pregame that ima point if im going over so that he knows i'll go back when the ball turns over. Sometimes we've pregamed to say- "coming" or "i've got you" just so wer know where each other is at. I wont go if they're playing a zone defense though... no point in crossing when the balls prolly gunnna go back to the top in second... And I dont go if the post play isnt heavy that way. I go over there even if the ball is say ad mid court just to get a better look at the post play. Not what the mechanci was inteded for i know but i can see better- espcially in these freshman/ms gyms were u only have 3 feet on the endline... I've been forutnate lately though... I've had 6-8 feet to work with...
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 07:04am
Huck Finn

First I want to say I believe the opposite of what Tim said. You should go more if the team is in a man-to-man than a zone. If you do 2-person and 3-person the first adjustment should be to step off of the baseline two or three additional steps space providing. When you go you haveo to trust your partner! If you make eye contact or verbalize something I just think you are missing something. As Tim pointed out correctly, you can't immediately begin to officiate where you are going while crossing the paint. You have to still watch all matchups as you progress across. I go across if a post play is imminent (did I spell that right?). If you have two post players over there on the block, go. If you have two guards that aren't going to post up then why go? If a shot/drive is in progress either step back to officiate rebounding action or take one large step towards wall if you have room. Opening up your field of vision is very important in officiating but more so when you only have 4 eyes on the court! It is also good for the Trail to take one step onto the court farther to look weakside when the lead is on strongside. If not a physical step then a mental step. This is similar to the Trail's mechanic in a Women's 3-person game. It is also like Pro ball with 2-person (CBA).
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
... but turn back to the paint and focus on your original primary from the strong side.

...no there will be no need for that after a little practice. You will see that shirt and your partner will see yours. You may want to say, "I'm here." but it is better if nothing is verbalized.

...just because Lead went to strongside, unless Lead is "squared up" on the ball, Trail still has the ball.

...when the Lead is "squared up" on the ball and not the paint.

...lead should be squared up on the paint. The entire drive from Trail's primary should be left to Trail, but remember for every primary we have a sceondary.
mick --

It looks as though you're saying I should use body language to communicate with partner, as in "square up." I understand, and appreciate your pointing it out. I've heard it before but haven't really digested it in the past.

I think you're saying, more or less, that as lead I should cut across when I would have last year, but be more aware of the ball as it drops down into strong side, and demonstrate to partner new primary coverage by "squaring up". As trail, I cover normally, until I see partner square up, and then hustle for an angle on whatever needs attention. Does that sound like a good summary?

[Edited by rainmaker on Nov 24th, 2003 at 10:51 AM]
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 12:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
... but turn back to the paint and focus on your original primary from the strong side.

...no there will be no need for that after a little practice. You will see that shirt and your partner will see yours. You may want to say, "I'm here." but it is better if nothing is verbalized.

...just because Lead went to strongside, unless Lead is "squared up" on the ball, Trail still has the ball.

...when the Lead is "squared up" on the ball and not the paint.

...lead should be squared up on the paint. The entire drive from Trail's primary should be left to Trail, but remember for every primary we have a sceondary.
mick --

It looks as though you're saying I should use body language to communicate with partner, as in "square up." I understand, and appreciate your pointing it out. I've heard it before but haven't really digested it in the past.

I think you're saying, more or less, that as lead I should cut across when I would have last year, but be more aware of the ball as it drops down into strong side, and demonstrate to partner new primary coverage by "squaring up". As trail, I cover normally, until I see partner square up, and then hustle for an angle on whatever needs attention. Does that sound like a good summary?

[Edited by rainmaker on Nov 24th, 2003 at 10:51 AM]
YU,P, you own it.

Let's say the ball went low, Trail side, and you cross-over because of a matchup (like last year), and not because of the ball, If when you cross-over you are squared up on that matchup, your partner oughta stay on the ball and give it up only when you are on ball (Body positioning) and not give it up just because you are on strong-side.

This is difficult sometime, when your partner is on another wide match-up and the ball goes in his direction. A foul can happen that you may not want to call because it was in your partner's lap, but (oops!) he wasn't even looking there. Trail saw it, yet gave it up to nobody.

From Trail, take it until your partner grabs it.

mick

Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
First,
I don't think your reason for going strong side should be any different this year then last. You should go strong side because you need to. Your need should not be based on the ball coming below the freethrow line and inside the arc. It should be because the ball AND post are over there. To me the only time you square up and take the ball in that area is if you are already over there.

For Instance
I am working normal and the ball is on T side of the court. Team likes to dump the ball into the post on that side. The post player is over there so I go to officiate the post. If the ball enters the "NEW" area in dicsussion, I as L am supposed to pick it up.

In My pregame the L will only pick it up if it's passed in there. If it's dribbled I think the T needs to stay with it.(they have the benefit of seeing the whole play).
So I am open for discussion on this subject.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 02:24pm
Huck Finn

Ron I like the way you are thinking. Rainmaker and Mick, I don't think this "squaring up" as you are describing it is a good thing or the correct thing. To me it has is screaming of "looking where you are going to end up" instead of officiating as you go. You can overlook officiating as you go until somebody catches an elbow and is laying it a puddle of blood with a $1,000 worth of dental work. The answer will be "I don't know what happened" becuase you were looking across the paint already. Now, that is harsh and extreme but it can happen. You should only have to square up when the ball is in the "new" area that belongs to the lead this year. Otherwise you body should be at an angle because you have to cover the sideline on the weakside. So in summary, as the Lead we still have many responsibilities before we ever get into a position to "square up" without handling these responsibilities things can get out of hand and we could possibly wear the arrow out because we didn't see what happened.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 03:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Ron I like the way you are thinking. Rainmaker and Mick, I don't think this "squaring up" as you are describing it is a good thing or the correct thing. To me it has is screaming of "looking where you are going to end up" instead of officiating as you go. You can overlook officiating as you go until somebody catches an elbow and is laying it a puddle of blood with a $1,000 worth of dental work. The answer will be "I don't know what happened" becuase you were looking across the paint already. Now, that is harsh and extreme but it can happen. You should only have to square up when the ball is in the "new" area that belongs to the lead this year. Otherwise you body should be at an angle because you have to cover the sideline on the weakside. So in summary, as the Lead we still have many responsibilities before we ever get into a position to "square up" without handling these responsibilities things can get out of hand and we could possibly wear the arrow out because we didn't see what happened.
I wasn't very clear, I guess. I believe Ron and Rainmaker and I are on the same page. But, hey, I've kicked 'em before.
One "squares up" on the match-up you are looking at.
Once you cross over you may square up back at the paint at an angle to see the post play and the weak side.

With your torso directly facing what you are looking at, you are squared up. It's kinda a Legal Officiating Position.

mick
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Mick,
I believe when someone says square it refers to shoulders squaring up parallel to the endline no the play you are officiating. I believe we are on the same page.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 03:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo
Mick,
I believe when someone says square it refers to shoulders squaring up parallel to the endline no the play you are officiating. I believe we are on the same page.

Let's vote, Ron.
Start a thread.
mick
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

I was reading “squaring up” as meaning either, “Shoulders parallel to endline, attention straight ahead”, or “Torso facing direction of attention”. Either way, body position strongly situated to indicate where attention is. Feet maybe slightly further apart than normal and planted to help emphasize where I’m looking. It’s a way to signal partner where I’m looking.

I’m assuming, trail adjusts to lead’s shifts, rather than the reverse? I mean, trail stays on ball (in his primary) until lead indicates otherwise?
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

MY two cents---

Ask yourself this question-what do you do when you are working the traditional position of being opposite on the floor?

You are Lead (lets say table side) and your partner is Trail on the opposite side of floor (balanced) and you have all 10 players and the ball in the primary... How do you referee there? You have the ball and Trail has off ball...

So now with this strong side mechanic you just move across the paint, You now have the ball in your primary and ref it while lead ref off ball from the trail. Trail has the perimeter, the weakside, and most likely backside (away from you)cutters. Trail may have to move slightly on top for an angle but wont get out into the middle too far--

One thing I will have to disagree with Tim on. I personally believe you will do more strong side officiating in a man-to-man defense or a matchup zone than basic zone. If a team is using a skip pass to break the zone you'll bounce all over the floor if you are not careful.

Remember the first guys to do strong side stuff were the NBA guys in a two man game who had the illegal defense that force the man/matchup zone D.

You dont want to be in a rush to get back, you work across just like you worked to get there. If there is a cut down the paint you cant be moving to pick it up. If there is a quick pass away from you then Trail can get it... If she is refereeing the D it is an easy call from Trail. You dont want to be moving while the ball is up. If you stay there you take the strongside rebounding and fouls your partner has the perimeter, weakside and shooter. You will not miss much- a layup away from you should be an easy call for Trail... If you miss a minor one there no big deal. You were working the right part of the floor..If a coach moans and complains the mantra should be "that's why we need three refs on the floor".

Two of the best guys that work strongside reside on this board --Drake and Stripes do a wonderful job at strongside mechanics. (You guys both owe me the advertising fees). I love working with those two and a few others because you trust them, they trust you. Strongside officisting requires more cooperation, and more knowing where your partner is, and quick visual confirmation.

Now the next challenge... and it is so much fun... Take a fast break that is opposite side of the floor from you --go down with them, officitate it and get across the floor to the other side of the paint and referee from the strong side while the player goes to the basket and there is a foul...

You will earn a bunch of points with coaches. The thing about this mechanic, although some coaches dont like it. Both officials are where they need to be to make the right call.

The only thing you need to make sure that both of you pregame well is if you are stong side and the floor is unbalanced, your sideline is now uncovered, and must be covered by trail (usually the skip pass or long rebound)
Trail blows the whistle and points direction, You go over and reset and throw in.

BTW on throw ins I go strongside, particularly if they have a habit of going down low. Think how good this looks when a ball is thrown into a low post player, she turn, shoots, gets whacked, and you are right there. Your partner did not call it fom Trail, you did not call is from across the paint..(the value of ATT and MCI stock just went down)

Relax and have fun with this. I have found that you see more of the stuff you need to see..

Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 07:04am
Huck Finn

I have never heard of squaring up to a play. How do you stay "squared up to a play when a play is moving? How can you tell if your partner is squared up to a play with a group of say, 6 players? I have heard the term square up when it is referring to the endline. For instance with the ball in the corner on the Leads side you have to square up to the endline to officiate the play.

Once again I stress, without the proper pregame and practice you will be officiating where you are going to end up while you are passing players and matchups. Mick, Rainmaker, can you speak on this subject using your current technique? You have not mentioned the importance of endline positioning (depth and width), closing down or the Trail's adjustments. Squaring up has been the main issue and since every play is different inconsistent officiating cannot occur when communication is based on getting to a play across the paint to square up on it.