View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 23, 2003, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I'm having a lot of trouble with the new strong side mechanic. I never really did get comfortable with crossing the key to "go strong side." And now it's even more necessary, and I feel even less comfortable.

Friday night, my partner and I kept discussing it and working on it, but had a number of questions. We both began to see how important it was: the ball gets below the 3-point line, and if there are several people above the ball, trail often doesn't have a good view of the ball. But in that case, it's hard to have eye contact with the partner to see when to switch, and who's looking where.

So here are some questions:

1) When does lead GO? Wait until the ball is actually in the new primary area, or just when it's headed there?

2) I think looking at partner just prior to the hustle across might be the wisest thing, a sort of, "Here we go!" agreement. Does that seem reasonable?

3) There were several times Friday evening, when the ball was across the key from the lead, in the newly-christened Primary, and all 10 players were below the 3-point line. This would mean that lead would have all 10 players, and trail none. So trail needs to pick up someone, right? But who?

4) In which case, at what point does trail shift to the farther angle, picking up any weakside players who were previously covered by lead?

5) When does lead hustle back across? How does trail know when to pick up the ball again?

6) If trail is taking a drive all the way to the basket, does lead wait to cross until the drive is either ended in a shot, or interrupted by defense, thus settling the ball down low? If lead goes across anyway, does the ball switch to lead's attention? Or does lead go across, but leave the ball to trail?

These were all questions that we talked about -- after the situations happened, and we hand't done it correctly.

Next scrimmage is Tuesday evening -- I hope to get some of this worked out before then. Thanks for help!!