View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 03:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Ron I like the way you are thinking. Rainmaker and Mick, I don't think this "squaring up" as you are describing it is a good thing or the correct thing. To me it has is screaming of "looking where you are going to end up" instead of officiating as you go. You can overlook officiating as you go until somebody catches an elbow and is laying it a puddle of blood with a $1,000 worth of dental work. The answer will be "I don't know what happened" becuase you were looking across the paint already. Now, that is harsh and extreme but it can happen. You should only have to square up when the ball is in the "new" area that belongs to the lead this year. Otherwise you body should be at an angle because you have to cover the sideline on the weakside. So in summary, as the Lead we still have many responsibilities before we ever get into a position to "square up" without handling these responsibilities things can get out of hand and we could possibly wear the arrow out because we didn't see what happened.
I wasn't very clear, I guess. I believe Ron and Rainmaker and I are on the same page. But, hey, I've kicked 'em before.
One "squares up" on the match-up you are looking at.
Once you cross over you may square up back at the paint at an angle to see the post play and the weak side.

With your torso directly facing what you are looking at, you are squared up. It's kinda a Legal Officiating Position.

mick