View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

MY two cents---

Ask yourself this question-what do you do when you are working the traditional position of being opposite on the floor?

You are Lead (lets say table side) and your partner is Trail on the opposite side of floor (balanced) and you have all 10 players and the ball in the primary... How do you referee there? You have the ball and Trail has off ball...

So now with this strong side mechanic you just move across the paint, You now have the ball in your primary and ref it while lead ref off ball from the trail. Trail has the perimeter, the weakside, and most likely backside (away from you)cutters. Trail may have to move slightly on top for an angle but wont get out into the middle too far--

One thing I will have to disagree with Tim on. I personally believe you will do more strong side officiating in a man-to-man defense or a matchup zone than basic zone. If a team is using a skip pass to break the zone you'll bounce all over the floor if you are not careful.

Remember the first guys to do strong side stuff were the NBA guys in a two man game who had the illegal defense that force the man/matchup zone D.

You dont want to be in a rush to get back, you work across just like you worked to get there. If there is a cut down the paint you cant be moving to pick it up. If there is a quick pass away from you then Trail can get it... If she is refereeing the D it is an easy call from Trail. You dont want to be moving while the ball is up. If you stay there you take the strongside rebounding and fouls your partner has the perimeter, weakside and shooter. You will not miss much- a layup away from you should be an easy call for Trail... If you miss a minor one there no big deal. You were working the right part of the floor..If a coach moans and complains the mantra should be "that's why we need three refs on the floor".

Two of the best guys that work strongside reside on this board --Drake and Stripes do a wonderful job at strongside mechanics. (You guys both owe me the advertising fees). I love working with those two and a few others because you trust them, they trust you. Strongside officisting requires more cooperation, and more knowing where your partner is, and quick visual confirmation.

Now the next challenge... and it is so much fun... Take a fast break that is opposite side of the floor from you --go down with them, officitate it and get across the floor to the other side of the paint and referee from the strong side while the player goes to the basket and there is a foul...

You will earn a bunch of points with coaches. The thing about this mechanic, although some coaches dont like it. Both officials are where they need to be to make the right call.

The only thing you need to make sure that both of you pregame well is if you are stong side and the floor is unbalanced, your sideline is now uncovered, and must be covered by trail (usually the skip pass or long rebound)
Trail blows the whistle and points direction, You go over and reset and throw in.

BTW on throw ins I go strongside, particularly if they have a habit of going down low. Think how good this looks when a ball is thrown into a low post player, she turn, shoots, gets whacked, and you are right there. Your partner did not call it fom Trail, you did not call is from across the paint..(the value of ATT and MCI stock just went down)

Relax and have fun with this. I have found that you see more of the stuff you need to see..