View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 12:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
... but turn back to the paint and focus on your original primary from the strong side.

...no there will be no need for that after a little practice. You will see that shirt and your partner will see yours. You may want to say, "I'm here." but it is better if nothing is verbalized.

...just because Lead went to strongside, unless Lead is "squared up" on the ball, Trail still has the ball.

...when the Lead is "squared up" on the ball and not the paint.

...lead should be squared up on the paint. The entire drive from Trail's primary should be left to Trail, but remember for every primary we have a sceondary.
mick --

It looks as though you're saying I should use body language to communicate with partner, as in "square up." I understand, and appreciate your pointing it out. I've heard it before but haven't really digested it in the past.

I think you're saying, more or less, that as lead I should cut across when I would have last year, but be more aware of the ball as it drops down into strong side, and demonstrate to partner new primary coverage by "squaring up". As trail, I cover normally, until I see partner square up, and then hustle for an angle on whatever needs attention. Does that sound like a good summary?

[Edited by rainmaker on Nov 24th, 2003 at 10:51 AM]
YU,P, you own it.

Let's say the ball went low, Trail side, and you cross-over because of a matchup (like last year), and not because of the ball, If when you cross-over you are squared up on that matchup, your partner oughta stay on the ball and give it up only when you are on ball (Body positioning) and not give it up just because you are on strong-side.

This is difficult sometime, when your partner is on another wide match-up and the ball goes in his direction. A foul can happen that you may not want to call because it was in your partner's lap, but (oops!) he wasn't even looking there. Trail saw it, yet gave it up to nobody.

From Trail, take it until your partner grabs it.

mick