View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 24, 2003, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
So here are some questions:

1) When does lead GO? Wait until the ball is actually in the new primary area, or just when it's headed there?

Ball goes below the free throw line and the post play is on the opposite side of the lane.

2) I think looking at partner just prior to the hustle across might be the wisest thing, a sort of, "Here we go!" agreement. Does that seem reasonable?

No. In 3 man you learn to watch your partner(s) with your periferal vision. Same is true here.

3) There were several times Friday evening, when the ball was across the key from the lead, in the newly-christened Primary, and all 10 players were below the 3-point line. This would mean that lead would have all 10 players, and trail none. So trail needs to pick up someone, right? But who?

Look at your charts in the officiating manual. There is always someone to watch off ball.

4) In which case, at what point does trail shift to the farther angle, picking up any weakside players who were previously covered by lead?

When he knows his partner is in position on the strong side.

5) When does lead hustle back across? How does trail know when to pick up the ball again?

The lead needs to hustle back obviously when the ball comes back to the other side of the floor, but before then, if the ball goes back to the top of the key, I hustle back right then.
b) periferal vision.

6) If trail is taking a drive all the way to the basket, does lead wait to cross until the drive is either ended in a shot, or interrupted by defense, thus settling the ball down low? If lead goes across anyway, does the ball switch to lead's attention? Or does lead go across, but leave the ball to trail?

You never want to be caught in no mans land(under the basket) during a basket attempt. Stay put and let the play happen then decide if you need to get back across.

Hope this helps Juulie. The mechanic takes some practice. One thing I would do when you start a game is look and see what defense they are in. If they are playing man to man, I wouldn't go strong side as much as when they are in a zone. In zone you want to overload a zone and get a mismatch so there is a tendency to get all the players on one side of the floor. In man to man, they ususally spread out more and the ball likes to bounce around so you won't see it settle anywhere. Stay put and let your partner cover that side of the floor. Remeber that as you move across the paint you need to continue officiating. Don't focus on where you are going but instead focus on the matchup you want to officiate. Watch how on TV the official always has his head pointed at the lane while he crosses over to start the rotation in 3-man. That is how you want to do it in 2 man.