View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 23, 2003, 10:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I'm having a lot of trouble with the new strong side mechanic. I never really did get comfortable with crossing the key to "go strong side." And now it's even more necessary, and I feel even less comfortable.

Friday night, my partner and I kept discussing it and working on it, but had a number of questions. We both began to see how important it was: the ball gets below the 3-point line, and if there are several people above the ball, trail often doesn't have a good view of the ball. But in that case, it's hard to have eye contact with the partner to see when to switch, and who's looking where.

So here are some questions:

1) When does lead GO? Wait until the ball is actually in the new primary area, or just when it's headed there? When the ball and the players seem to be headed in that direction and you are anticipating a crowd, cross over, but turn back to the paint and focus on your original primary from the strong side.

2) I think looking at partner just prior to the hustle across might be the wisest thing, a sort of, "Here we go!" agreement. Does that seem reasonable? No there will be no need for that after a little practice. You will see that shirt and your partner will see yours.
You may want to say, "I'm here." but it is better if nothing is verbalized.

3) There were several times Friday evening, when the ball was across the key from the lead, in the newly-christened Primary, and all 10 players were below the 3-point line. This would mean that lead would have all 10 players, and trail none. So trail needs to pick up someone, right? But who? Lead should not have 10 players. Just because Lead went to strongside, unless Lead is "squared up" on the ball, Trail still has the ball.

4) In which case, at what point does trail shift to the farther angle, picking up any weakside players who were previously covered by lead? When the Lead is "squared up" on the ball and not the paint.

5) When does lead hustle back across? How does trail know when to pick up the ball again? Lead retreats as necessary to cover a match-up. If the ball is in Trail's primary then Trail has coverage.

6) If trail is taking a drive all the way to the basket, does lead wait to cross until the drive is either ended in a shot, or interrupted by defense, thus settling the ball down low? If lead goes across anyway, does the ball switch to lead's attention? Or does lead go across, but leave the ball to trail? During a drive from Trail's primary is not a good time for Lead to cross-over. It is better for the Lead to get into position for a good look at the defenders. If Lead goes across anyway, Lead should be squared up on the paint. The entire drive from Trail's primary should be left to Trail, but remember for every primary we have a sceondary. The calls will be made.

These were all questions that we talked about -- after the situations happened, and we hand't done it correctly.

Next scrimmage is Tuesday evening -- I hope to get some of this worked out before then. Thanks for help!!
mick