The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #46 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 13, 2019, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I have the defender walking into shooter's right elbow.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
So he got fouled twice?
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 13, 2019, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I have the defender walking into shooter's right elbow.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
If there is anything it is the "walking into him" stuff.....and, as you mentioned, the team's getting creamed so I can understand a call. still not so sure from other side of floor.
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 13, 2019, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 138
if players and coaches knew that some officials cared about their egos more than getting it right, they'd puke. I can understand this a little bit, but if you are 100% sure and suspect the others have been straight-lined at a minimum, go get it. If it clearly created an advantage, go get it. It's more important to be principled in calling the game than looking out for your own politics.
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 13, 2019, 04:48pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
If there is anything it is the "walking into him" stuff.....and, as you mentioned, the team's getting creamed so I can understand a call. still not so sure from other side of floor.
As I mentioned earlier, I believe that is a former NBA ref (Tommy Nunez?). They believe in officials with open looks coming to get plays. There is no way for Lead or Trail to see that contact.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 13, 2019, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
As I mentioned earlier, I believe that is a former NBA ref (Tommy Nunez?). They believe in officials with open looks coming to get plays. There is no way for Lead or Trail to see that contact.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I can’t tell if it’s him or not...but if it is then he’s earned the right to do what he did. I’m not sure why you say trail can’t see contact...he certainly should..he’s got to work for the angle but nothing crazy going on here...

Last edited by BigCat; Sun Jan 13, 2019 at 05:59pm.
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 13, 2019, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
if players and coaches knew that some officials cared about their egos more than getting it right, they'd puke. I can understand this a little bit, but if you are 100% sure and suspect the others have been straight-lined at a minimum, go get it. If it clearly created an advantage, go get it. It's more important to be principled in calling the game than looking out for your own politics.
You will learn as you age grasshopper. Itís not about my politics or any. If itís a train wreck or an obvious foul ...really really obvious that everybody in gym sees then do it. Game time and situations matter also. Just because you think your partner ,in his primary, missed a call isnít for you to come running in.
You can screw up a game berry easily that way..
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 14, 2019, 11:28am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
and, as you mentioned, the team's getting creamed so I can understand a call.
You're the second person who has mentioned this. Are you seriously suggesting that in D1 college basketball it's appropriate to start calling a lopsided game because one team is down 18 early in the first half or am I missing something?
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 14, 2019, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Rockville,MD
Posts: 552
To me personally, time and score is irrelevant when making calls. The rules and casebook (approved rulings) do not mention that one should change calls based on time and score, so doing that would not be game management, but game manipulation. It is not my business whether the game is competitive or a laugher, my only issue is to make sure that players play legally and safely.
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 14, 2019, 12:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,393
Fine And Dandy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
To me personally, time and score is irrelevant when making calls.
That may be all fine and dandy until one gets to the last minutes of a close game. Intentional fouls? Fouls to simply stop the clock? Deliberate off ball fouls? Delay of game? Strategic timeouts? Hack a Shaq? Crazed coaches? Situations that were unimpressive and relatively benign in the first thirty minutes take on a different and possibly "hyper" meaning in the last two minutes.

For example, slight touch contact that doesn't put a player at a disadvantage in the first thirty minutes and is ignored as incidental becomes a method for one team to stop the clock and slow the game down in the last two minutes. Don't call this same contact a foul in the last two minutes and you'll have the players killing each other to get a call, which could escalate into a fight.

C'mon ilyazhito. You're better than this. You're off your game. What's wrong with you today? Get up on the wrong side of the bed?
__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 14, 2019 at 12:38pm.
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 14, 2019, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
You're the second person who has mentioned this. Are you seriously suggesting that in D1 college basketball it's appropriate to start calling a lopsided game because one team is down 18 early in the first half or am I missing something?
You are missing something...and adding things..Nobody said ďstart calling a lopsided game.Ē I did not and do not like the C going across the floor here for this call. Raymond mentioned heís an NBA fellow and the score. Iíd like to get every call right...every time. Right or wrong, if a teamís getting pummeled.. I sure donít want to miss an obvious foul call vs the team getting pummeled. NBA training and score coujd have influenced his decision to cross floor.
Experience will explain this more and better than I can..
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 14, 2019, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
To me personally, time and score is irrelevant when making calls. The rules and casebook (approved rulings) do not mention that one should change calls based on time and score, so doing that would not be game management, but game manipulation. It is not my business whether the game is competitive or a laugher, my only issue is to make sure that players play legally and safely.
What you call and what you donít call is called judgment...plenty of folks can read the rule book and case book (although very few do it enough). Then you have to be able to referee...
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 14, 2019, 12:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,393
4% Neanderthal DNA ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Then you have to be able to referee ...


Watch out. I've got a club and I know how to use it.
__________________
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 14, 2019 at 02:02pm.
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 14, 2019, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
You are missing something...and adding things..Nobody said ďstart calling a lopsided game.Ē I did not and do not like the C going across the floor here for this call.
You said that this call was more understandable because the team was getting creamed. I'm having trouble reconciling that statement with the idea that you're going to keep calling a fair game. Either the fact that the team is behind matters or it doesn't. And if it matters then you are no longer calling a fair game.

I'm also a little bit skeptical about the idea that down 18 early in the game in college is getting creamed. In this particular game, that 18 point lead turned into a 3 point lead before halftime.
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 14, 2019, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
You said that this call was more understandable because the team was getting creamed. I'm having trouble reconciling that statement with the idea that you're going to keep calling a fair game. Either the fact that the team is behind matters or it doesn't. And if it matters then you are no longer calling a fair game.

I'm also a little bit skeptical about the idea that down 18 early in the game in college is getting creamed. In this particular game, that 18 point lead turned into a 3 point lead before halftime.
I did not like the call. I did not watch the game. Experience will be your best teacher. Iím trying to reconcile why he thought it was necessary to cross floor. 1st half is early for game management mode. There will be times when the score is a factor in what you call or donít call. You will miss calls, I wil miss calls. If a team is getting pummeled Iím more likely to step in if you just blew a call. Again, experience will tell you when to do it or not. This may have not been right time.
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jan 14, 2019, 02:36pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
To me personally, time and score is irrelevant when making calls. The rules and casebook (approved rulings) do not mention that one should change calls based on time and score, so doing that would not be game management, but game manipulation. It is not my business whether the game is competitive or a laugher, my only issue is to make sure that players play legally and safely.
30 point blow-out, 50/50 block charge play that can go either way in real time. You're going to put the foul on the team losing by 30?

Team A is down by 2 in the last 10 seconds, A1 drives to the basket and incurs contact that has both been passed on and called on earlier plays in the game. What are you going to decide if A1 misses the shot? What are you going to decide if A1 makes the shot?

As far as the play being discussed here. That team is down by 18 points, on the road. You can't miss fouls committed against that team. That was a foul that was missed by the Lead and Trail b/c there were stacked to the contact.

Your "strictly by the book" mindset will work for you at the HS school level. If you ever start working NCAA basketball (I'll speak for this region of the country), you'll see that mindset starting to shift. NCAA supervisors want officials who have common sense and make good decisions.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reaching through the boundary Back In The Saddle Basketball 5 Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:48am
Reaching for a T Chess Ref Basketball 15 Fri Dec 21, 2007 06:53am
OTB and Reaching KCRef Basketball 15 Wed Mar 28, 2007 06:27pm
11.1 REACHING BEYOND THE NET - for '05-'06 OmniSpiker Volleyball 3 Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:51am
Partner reaching Adam Basketball 11 Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:14am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1